Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Housing Discrimination
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
I like the show and John, I do....not sure I agree with him here. To some aspect, 100%. Today? Hmmmm. I beg to differ. 
OK, Mr. McConnell. To argue against reparations "today" is to argue that the impact of housing discrimination is over, when it’s obvious that it’s not. Honestly, I don’t know how anyone who has all of the information could be opposed to reparations. 
Write the check.  Lead by example. Start a gofundme account. I’m not paying one red cent in reparations. My family didnt own slaves. We didnt benifit from them in any way. There has been and will continue to be slaves somewhere as long as humans exist. 

Youre not taking food out if the mouths of my children to right a wrong you feel exists. 

I have been working on the Mapping Prejudice project regarding racial covenants. It looks at housing deeds and documentation to find the racist and discriminatory language. I know people want to think it's gone but it isn't. Looking back at the deeds from the early 1900's shows blatant discrimination. Zoning has been instrumental in housing discrimination. There is still language that is discriminatory embedded today in many housing deeds. It is also differently written in different parts of the country. Discrimination has wiped out minority houses and businesses for highways and other development. And this isn't ancient history. The home ownership difference and the biased home appraisals are appalling. The sabotage and discrimination is ongoing and continues to impact communities.

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
I like the show and John, I do....not sure I agree with him here. To some aspect, 100%. Today? Hmmmm. I beg to differ. 
OK, Mr. McConnell. To argue against reparations "today" is to argue that the impact of housing discrimination is over, when it’s obvious that it’s not. Honestly, I don’t know how anyone who has all of the information could be opposed to reparations. 
Write the check.  Lead by example. Start a gofundme account. I’m not paying one red cent in reparations. My family didnt own slaves. We didnt benifit from them in any way. There has been and will continue to be slaves somewhere as long as humans exist. 

Youre not taking food out if the mouths of my children to right a wrong you feel exists. 

So, let's talk housing discrimination. Take a few minutes and view at least some of the video. Tell me again that your family didn't materially benefit in ways that were denied to a portion of the population that built this country. The wrong exists. The 'wrong' wasn't that long ago.

Quote: @"Nichelle" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

So, let's talk housing discrimination. Take a few minutes and view at least some of the video. Tell me again that your family didn't materially benefit in ways that were denied to a portion of the population that built this country. The wrong exists. The 'wrong' wasn't that long ago.
My family showed up to MN in the 1800s. We owned no slaves. The current farm was bought in 1915ish??  Slaves were emancipated by that time. 

My wife and I moved to TN in 2004 with under $500. 

We bought our farm without assistance of any type other then having credit. We saved the 20% on our own. 

We didnt take advantage of a racist system. Maybe someone did somewhere?  Invoice them. 

If we’re going to pay every culture that were slaves I know quite a few Irish including members of my mothers side that deserve the same. 

@"Nichelle" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

My family showed up to MN in the 1800s. We owned no slaves. The current farm was bought in 1915ish??  Slaves were emancipated by that time. 

We bought our farm without assistance of any type other then having credit. We saved the 20% on our own. 

We didnt take advantage of a racist system. Maybe someone did somewhere?  Invoice them. 

If we’re going to pay every culture that were slaves I know quite a few Irish including members of my mothers side that deserve the same. 

1915ish eh? No, there was nothing going on then.

[Image: 5a9ee7e77add3.image.jpg]

@"AGRforever" said:
@"Nichelle" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

1915ish eh? No, there was nothing going on then.

[Image: 5a9ee7e77add3.image.jpg]
Yippey skippy. My family lived about as far as you can get from the slave states. They owned no slaves. There wasnt segregation in our area. Your family could have moved there. 
Youre not getting money based on your families past. If we tried to right every wrong based on heritage we’ve got all kinds of people who are owed money long before American slaves. 

You dont have to like this answer but if a candidate ran on a reparations platform theyed get laughed off the trail. Hell, Bernie wanted to give everyone free healtcare and couldnt get past 20% in democratic primaries. Democrats already get the vast majority of the AA vote. Why risk the moderate vote?

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

why should it come from you?  why not tax the millionaires and billionaires.  you are more a slave than the ruling class.  much like the rest of us

I was born in 1956, last year I found out that Jim Crow laws were officialy no longer legal in 1965.  Till last year I thought reconstruction was a failed social experiment, then I hear about Tulsa and Rosewood.  The 1920 lynchings in Duluth, my mom was born in Duluth in 1916 and my grandparents moved there in 1890’s, they lived blocks away and I can remember my devout grandmother telling me about trusting “darkies” and she was a saint.  She tought me the Cannon of the Mass in Latin, French and English, thats how I learned to read.  Look this stuff up, you may learn a bit.  If you think a law or mandate is oppresive or really makes a difference, it doesn’t ……

@AGRforever - You can keep referring only to slavery if you want to. It didn't end there. The first story mentioned in the video is of 'Bruce's Beach'. When actions of groups such as the KKK didn't shut them down, the government stepped in to take the land. Tell me why this family doesn't deserve the wealth and/or land taken from them. 
Bruce's Beach - Wikipedia
Willa and Charles Bruce bought a property in the strand area for $1,225 that was set aside from Henry Willard in 1912, and added on three lots.[1] They established a resort and named it for Mrs. Bruce.[2]
The development included a bathhouse and dining house for Blacks, whose access to public beaches was highly restricted.[3] Aside from the Blacks-only beach resort, Manhattan Beach was "an otherwise lily-white community" and Blacks only had limited access to beaches; Mrs. Bruce's initiative "defiantly transgressed these racial boundaries."[4] As Los Angeles's population increased and property values soared in the 1920s, Black people in the area suffered from increased racial tension, before eminent domain proceedings started by the city forced the club to close down.[1]
While many historians credit George H. Peck (1856–1940), a wealthy developer and the founder of Manhattan Beach, for having "bucked" the practice of racial exclusion,[1] Peck created barriers to direct Black out-of-town visitors to Bruce's Beach. To reach the ocean, visitors had to walk an extra half mile around property owned by Peck, who had lined it with security and “No Trespassing” signs.[6]
Under the pretense of building a city park, the city of Manhattan Beach took control of the land from the Bruce family, and the buildings were razed in 1927.[7][8] In the 1950s, city officials began to worry that family members might sue to regain their land unless it was used for the purpose for which it had been originally taken.[6] In the 1960s, the property, which had been vacant for decades, was made into a city park first called Bayview Terrace Park, then Parque Culiacan. 
In 2006, the Manhattan Beach City Council decided to rename the park, "commemorating our community's understanding that friendship, goodwill and respect for all begins within our own boundaries and extends to the world community. All are welcome."[2] The city acknowledging its history of racial discrimination and in March 2007 the beach was ceremoniously renamed Bruce's Beach.[9][10] during an event exhibiting "a deep tide of goodwill".[9][11]
On October 20, 2020, in response to the George Floyd protests highlighting the past racism faced by Bruce's Beach, the city council created the "Bruce’s Beach Task Force", which consisted of 13 members.[12] The task force soon faced opposition from the anonymous group, "Concerned Residents of MB". The anonymous group paid a two-page advertisement on The Beach Reporter, claiming that the task force used racism to "grab power".[13]
On April 20, 2021, the same day that Derek Chauvin was found guilty in the murder of George Floyd, LA County Supervisors voted unanimously to approve returning Bruce's Beach to the family's descendants. The property to be returned was estimated to be worth $75 million at the time. "If the plan is approved, the county will have 60 days to create a timeline for the land transfer and determine whether or not the lifeguard station [located on the property] will have to move" (CBSLA Staff).[14]
On June 2, 2021, the California State Senate approved a bill to return the property to descendants of the Bruces.[15][16]

@AGRforever - You can keep referring only to slavery if you want to. It didn't end there. The first story mentioned in the video is of 'Bruce's Beach'. When actions of groups such as the KKK didn't shut them down, the government stepped in to take the land. Tell me why this family doesn't deserve the wealth and/or land taken from them. 
Bruce's Beach - Wikipedia
Willa and Charles Bruce bought a property in the strand area for $1,225 that was set aside from Henry Willard in 1912, and added on three lots.[1] They established a resort and named it for Mrs. Bruce.[2]
The development included a bathhouse and dining house for Blacks, whose access to public beaches was highly restricted.[3] Aside from the Blacks-only beach resort, Manhattan Beach was "an otherwise lily-white community" and Blacks only had limited access to beaches; Mrs. Bruce's initiative "defiantly transgressed these racial boundaries."[4] As Los Angeles's population increased and property values soared in the 1920s, Black people in the area suffered from increased racial tension, before eminent domain proceedings started by the city forced the club to close down.[1]
While many historians credit George H. Peck (1856–1940), a wealthy developer and the founder of Manhattan Beach, for having "bucked" the practice of racial exclusion,[1] Peck created barriers to direct Black out-of-town visitors to Bruce's Beach. To reach the ocean, visitors had to walk an extra half mile around property owned by Peck, who had lined it with security and “No Trespassing” signs.[6]
Under the pretense of building a city park, the city of Manhattan Beach took control of the land from the Bruce family, and the buildings were razed in 1927.[7][8] In the 1950s, city officials began to worry that family members might sue to regain their land unless it was used for the purpose for which it had been originally taken.[6] In the 1960s, the property, which had been vacant for decades, was made into a city park first called Bayview Terrace Park, then Parque Culiacan. 
In 2006, the Manhattan Beach City Council decided to rename the park, "commemorating our community's understanding that friendship, goodwill and respect for all begins within our own boundaries and extends to the world community. All are welcome."[2] The city acknowledging its history of racial discrimination and in March 2007 the beach was ceremoniously renamed Bruce's Beach.[9][10] during an event exhibiting "a deep tide of goodwill".[9][11]
On October 20, 2020, in response to the George Floyd protests highlighting the past racism faced by Bruce's Beach, the city council created the "Bruce’s Beach Task Force", which consisted of 13 members.[12] The task force soon faced opposition from the anonymous group, "Concerned Residents of MB". The anonymous group paid a two-page advertisement on The Beach Reporter, claiming that the task force used racism to "grab power".[13]
On April 20, 2021, the same day that Derek Chauvin was found guilty in the murder of George Floyd, LA County Supervisors voted unanimously to approve returning Bruce's Beach to the family's descendants. The property to be returned was estimated to be worth $75 million at the time. "If the plan is approved, the county will have 60 days to create a timeline for the land transfer and determine whether or not the lifeguard station [located on the property] will have to move" (CBSLA Staff).[14]
On June 2, 2021, the California State Senate approved a bill to return the property to descendants of the Bruces.[15][16]
And my family participated in none of that. There are zero dollars in my pocket as a result of any of that. 

Talk to the families that did. 

Reperations is a hill I’ll die on.