Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Housing Discrimination
I recognize that we all have different opinions. But last week's episode of John Oliver's show helps to explain why the sentiments of 'I don't think people should get free money' or 'They won't get a dime of my hard earned money' are so bothersome to me. It's not that simple. And that is not the point. There is a direct connection between OUR history and what we see today. And the history of housing discrimination demonstrates that so clearly. Whether you watch some or all of it, just try it with an open mind. Whether is is a family that had their land taken from them or the many families that were denied opportunity, consider the impact today.

I like the show and John, I do....not sure I agree with him here. To some aspect, 100%. Today? Hmmmm. I beg to differ. 

Housing discrimination and the denial of land ownership helped to drive the wealth gap that exists today. That's the connection.

Quote: @Nichelle said:
Housing discrimination and the denial of land ownership helped to drive the wealth gap that exists today. That's the connection.
I do understand that. But the wealth gap has way deeper historical roots than this. In so many other scenarios. 

It fundamentally did exist and still exists. I question the metrics and quantification. Unfortunately, when I see 'my side/opinion' post an article, I cringe when I see the source or metrics. Its anecdotal at best, regardless of affiliation.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Nichelle said:
I do understand that. But the wealth gap has way deeper historical roots than this. In so many other scenarios. 

It fundamentally did exist and still exists. I question the metrics and quantification. 
Thanks for the additional context and for responding. I expressed that this *helped* drive the wealth gap. There are certainly other factors; factors that were written into the laws and structure of our country. Quantifying the value of land seems like a good place to start as I think it is hard to deny. But I would be curious about the scenarios you mention and the ultimate conclusion of how to address them in their entirety. 

I have the position that it is not 'if' they deserve to be addressed, but 'how'.

Quote: @Nichelle said:
@StickyBun said:
@Nichelle said:

It fundamentally did exist and still exists. I question the metrics and quantification. 
Thanks for the additional context and for responding. I expressed that this *helped* drive the wealth gap. There are certainly other factors; factors that were written into the laws and structure of our country. Quantifying the value of land seems like a good place to start as I think it is hard to deny. But I would be curious about the scenarios you mention and the ultimate conclusion of how to address them in their entirety. 

I have the position that it is not 'if' they deserve to be addressed, but 'how'.

Thanks, Nichelle. Its nice to have civil disagreements, isn't it? I respect your perspective. 

I like the show and John, I do....not sure I agree with him here. To some aspect, 100%. Today? Hmmmm. I beg to differ. 
OK, Mr. McConnell. To argue against reparations "today" is to argue that the impact of housing discrimination is over, when it’s obvious that it’s not. Honestly, I don’t know how anyone who has all of the information could be opposed to reparations. 

@Nichelle said:

It fundamentally did exist and still exists. I question the metrics and quantification. Unfortunately, when I see 'my side/opinion' post an article, I cringe when I see the source or metrics. Its anecdotal at best, regardless of affiliation.
Well, obviously slavery, followed by decades of institutional racism played a big part. But think the data show that maybe nothing had a bigger impact than housing discrimination as its third act. 

Curious if you watched the video. It's really long, but it's worth your time. 

I won't partake in the slippers slope. Ive watched many disturbing things.

It's economics, social science.  How many of us define free market as no regulation and how many as equal access to the  market with heavy regulations.  I am of the equal access, but still make as much as allowable.  Ethics and Morality, glad I was raised in a Jesuit Catholic household, analog, nonbinary when it comes to solving a issues.  Dichotomy, the John Adams-Thomas Jefferson letters are riveting.