Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to end the $300/Weekly Boost?
Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
[Image: sign-issuing-weekly-stimulus-checks-see-...C477&ssl=1]
Its bad down here in SoFlo......last Sunday, I had to wait 10 minutes for a refill on my bottomless mimosa during brunch. 10 MINUTES. 

The struggle is real.

Here's a life hack for you.  I used to drink a lot of nonalcoholic drinks when at a restaurant. (don't go because of covid anymore)  I'd always just ask for two and explain that I drink a lot. 

Follow up:  Did you still tip well to help support your waiter/waitress?

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Its bad down here in SoFlo......last Sunday, I had to wait 10 minutes for a refill on my bottomless mimosa during brunch. 10 MINUTES. 

The struggle is real.

Here's a life hack for you.  I used to drink a lot of nonalcoholic drinks when at a restaurant. (don't go because of covid anymore)  I'd always just ask for two and explain that I drink a lot. 

Yes, I'm a notoriously excellent tipper. To the regular places we go with wait staff that knows us, we do two things they LOVE: drink (which makes the bill higher) and tip very well. 

@AGRforever said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:

The struggle is real.

Yes, I'm a notoriously excellent tipper. To the regular places we go with wait staff that knows us, we do two things they LOVE: drink (which makes the bill higher) and tip very well. 
Just a question, how have your tipping “rules” changed for curbside and takeout.  Pre pandemic i was 17.5% base plus minus for service quality in a restaurant.   Never on drive through and 10% for take out.  Thats all changed over the last year.

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
@StickyBun said:
@AGRforever said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:

The struggle is real.

Just a question, how have your tipping “rules” changed for curbside and takeout.  Pre pandemic i was 17.5% base plus minus for service quality in a restaurant.   Never on drive through and 10% for take out.  Thats all changed over the last year.
At a restaurant, I tip between 22-25%. Do you mean delivery take-out? I'm not tipping on take out I pick up myself. For delivery, its usually $5-$10 depending on how much stuff we order.

@BigAl99 said:
@StickyBun said:
@AGRforever said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:

The struggle is real.

At a restaurant, I tip between 22-25%. Do you mean delivery take-out? I'm not tipping on take out I pick up myself. For delivery, its usually $5-$10 depending on how much stuff we order.
Most of the restaurants we used have setup contactless online service with curbside.  I have avoided the delivery services, additional middle man.  The menus have evolved and they are more than just bagged, leave final prep out, garnishes and dressing on the side, just more effort prepping for nice easy dining at home, ask if you want plastic utensils.....  Kind of nice, and am now tipping to reward the effort in prepping .

@BigAl99 said:
@StickyBun said:
@AGRforever said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:

The struggle is real.

My wife took a part time gig waitressing at a little sandwich boutique near us a few years back,  it was insane how fucking tight assed some people were,  my wife would wait on a table of  10-15 women having lunch at $15 to $20 per head and they would leave around a buck each tops, and the service at this place was amazing,  like a 5 course lunch type place and people would come from 200 miles away just to eat there.   My daughter would work there in the evenings and the patrons were allowed to bring their own wine and they would usually leave around $10 per person and those meals were typically $25 to $30.

As a rule,  dine in with good service 20% plus round up to the nearest $5,  if its really good nearest $10 or if we are in a large group and lots of drinks (time at the table)  I will add $5-$10 per hour we are there.  I will still throw a couple bucks in the tip jar for take out stuff just because I know it typically gets split and with in store dining way down those in the service industry are running pretty thin in the pay dept.  Delivery drivers I go $5 to $10 depending on what they are bringing.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@BigAl99 said:
@StickyBun said:
@AGRforever said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:

The struggle is real.

My wife took a part time gig waitressing at a little sandwich boutique near us a few years back,  it was insane how fucking tight assed some people were,  my wife would wait on a table of  10-15 women having lunch at $15 to $20 per head and they would leave around a buck each tops, and the service at this place was amazing,  like a 5 course lunch type place and people would come from 200 miles away just to eat there.   My daughter would work there in the evenings and the patrons were allowed to bring their own wine and they would usually leave around $10 per person and those meals were typically $25 to $30.

As a rule,  dine in with good service 20% plus round up to the nearest $5,  if its really good nearest $10 or if we are in a large group and lots of drinks (time at the table)  I will add $5-$10 per hour we are there.  I will still throw a couple bucks in the tip jar for take out stuff just because I know it typically gets split and with in store dining way down those in the service industry are running pretty thin in the pay dept.  Delivery drivers I go $5 to $10 depending on what they are bringing.
Usually tables larger than 6 have an automatic 18% gratuity put into the bill so the staff doesn't get screwed. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@BigAl99 said:
@StickyBun said:
@AGRforever said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:

The struggle is real.

Usually tables larger than 6 have an automatic 18% gratuity put into the bill so the staff doesn't get screwed. 
this was a small little joint in rural SD,  the owner ended up raising the prices of her meals so that she could just pay my wife more because the women around were such shitty tippers.   she hasnt had that job for a while now,   but she doesnt get bitchy with me about over tipping any more either.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@BigAl99 said:
@StickyBun said:
@AGRforever said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:

The struggle is real.

this was a small little joint in rural SD,  the owner ended up raising the prices of her meals so that she could just pay my wife more because the women around were such shitty tippers.   she hasnt had that job for a while now,   but she doesnt get bitchy with me about over tipping any more either.
Yep, I was a waiter one summer during college at a very nice, 4-star restaurant. The place had women waitresses at lunch and men waiters at night. Made very good coin on tips, but sometimes got stiffed BIG time on larger tables. The bill comes in at like $400+ and they give like a $25 tip. Big tables are really hard for wait staff as they are demanding and a time suck while having other tables as well. My wife also can get bitchy about my big tips, but she's never done the job. 

@BigAl99 said:
@StickyBun said:
@AGRforever said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:

The struggle is real.

I worked the back and front of the house jobs to pay for college. lm normally around 18% on tips. I can say during the bad parts of the pandemic we ordered out a few times. I was doing +$20 on a tip and asked the checkout person to share it with whomever needed it because they needed it most. I havent really eaten at a resturant yet so who knows. When TN picked back up in what May? I was still doing 15% beacause those folks need to money and were still willing to work.