Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to end the $300/Weekly Boost?
I think so...

US Chamber of Commerce called for jettisoning the $300 supplement, which Congress initially approved in December and recently extended through early September as part of the Democrats' $1.9 trillion coronavirus rescue plan.

"The disappointing jobs report makes it clear that paying people not to work is dampening what should be a stronger jobs market," Neil Bradley, the chamber's chief policy officer, said on Friday, noting the weekly enhancement results in roughly 1 in 4 recipients earning more in unemployment payments than they did working.

Whether the beefed up benefits are keeping people from accepting job offers is a matter of debate. Economists at the University of Chicago and Yale University, among others, found that last year's $600 supplement had little to no impact on laid-off workers' decisions.

Asked Friday whether the enhanced benefits was a disincentive for people to return to work, Biden said, "No, nothing measurable." 

And supporters of the system expansion point to the fact that job increases in April were tilted toward lower-paying sectors, whose workers would benefit the most from the $300 weekly boost.

"Hard to single out unemployment benefits as 'dampening' job growth in the lowest-wage industries when those same industries are the ones with the fastest job growth," Ben Zipperer, economist at the left-leaning Economic Policy Institute, tweeted on Friday.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/09/politics/...index.html

100% yes. 

maybe, hearing mfg. jobs are having a bigger problem because of supply chain issues.  Also it appears, here in Iowa, unemployment rate 3.6%, population is bigger issue, in filling lower paying jobs.  We are kind of skills desert, either ag. or admin, read similar issues in Utah.  I guess we will see if the market will support a $10 or $15 min wage.  

Dang right its time.  We have help wanted signs everywhere. 

Absolutely.

[Image: universal-basic-income-people-wont-stop-...C474&ssl=1]

[Image: sign-issuing-weekly-stimulus-checks-see-...C477&ssl=1]

Gov Lee is ending the $300 checks in TN. Sounds like if the feds send the money we’ll be sending it back?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
[Image: sign-issuing-weekly-stimulus-checks-see-...C477&ssl=1]
Its bad down here in SoFlo......last Sunday, I had to wait 10 minutes for a refill on my bottomless mimosa during brunch. 10 MINUTES. 

The struggle is real.