Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings win draft day trade
Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
Well I flipped my lid when they traded that far down...Thought for sure they would lose out on Darrisaw who I wanted over any of the Edges. 

But they obviously felt strongly one of their guys was going to be there or they wouldn't have done it. As I posted elsewhere, Zimm looked rattled after Rd1 and I'm sure they had some anxious moments watching their guys go off the board. Loved to have been a fly in the war room during all that. 

The fact they got Darrisaw makes even me happy at the outcome. 

OTOH, the OP lens about looking at this from the Jets perspective makes total sense. Not a blunder on their part, but not much value at all - the Jets way for sure 
There is a part of my gut that is convinced they were after Jaelen Phillips in the trade down. 
Interesting take, wouldn't surprise me...He would have been intriguing pick as the upside is so immense. Phillips @ 1 and then one of the OT's in rd 2 might have made sense and maybe even improved the team more. We'll never know. 

But they would have had to trade up into Rd2 and it sure sounds like that would have been prohibitive this year. 

Philips and one of the FA OT's? That could have worked possibly - but the cap ramifications might have been stiff???

Here's what i think happened. And i say this based on nothing but gut feeling. So I'm just going to spit ball it for the fuck of it....  

When Slater goes off the board at 13, Vikings like four players: AVT, Darrisaw, Paye and Phillips. They rank them Phillips, Darrisaw, AVT, and Paye. 

Rick goes to work on league intelligence. He knows he also needs to get a viable backup QB from this draft. He estimates that the 2nd tier of QBs will start in the 3rd round. He knows adding another 3rd rounder would strengthen his position to achieve that.

So when the Jets make their offer of two 3rds (one very high) for moving down 9 slots, he looks at the needs of the teams between 14 and 23 and calculates that at least one of those four players should still be available at 23, so he makes the deal. 

Jets take AVT. OK, whatever. Teams seldom trade without asking their trade partner who they're going to take, so they probably already knew this. So 3 left and 8 slots. 

Then, out of the blue, Mayock scares the SHIT out of everyone by taking Alex Leatherwood at 17. Mayock doesn't know what he's doing, but STILL, this is alarming because it could start a run on tackles.

So Rick considers a trade up but can't find a taker. Dolphins then take potential Vikings target Phillips at 18. I think the Vikings thought he would drop further because of the concussion concerns.

At 19 and 20, Vikings get some help when the WTFs and the Giants pick according to plan and take LB Davis and WR Toney, respectively. 

At 21, Kwity Paye goes to the Colts and panic ensues in Eagan.

Two picks away and only one player left among the players they were considering at 14. What will the Titans do at 22? They could definitely use a tackle (in hindsight, they took Radunz in round two). But thankfully they take a corner and the Vikings get Darrisaw. 

So...a little luck? Yep. Some league intel? Yep. In the end, we got a guy we were considering at 14 and because we traded down to do it, we added Kellen Mond and Wyatt Davis. We'll have to monitor the careers of Darrisaw, Mond and Davis vs. AVT. 

Did we get the guy we wanted? Yeah, we did. One of 'em. Just not the one Zimmer wanted. :-)

[Image: tenor.gif]

Nice to "win the draft". Now let's see it translate to winning some championships!

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
Well I flipped my lid when they traded that far down...Thought for sure they would lose out on Darrisaw who I wanted over any of the Edges. 

But they obviously felt strongly one of their guys was going to be there or they wouldn't have done it. As I posted elsewhere, Zimm looked rattled after Rd1 and I'm sure they had some anxious moments watching their guys go off the board. Loved to have been a fly in the war room during all that. 

OTOH, the OP lens about looking at this from the Jets perspective makes total sense. Not a blunder on their part, but not much value at all - the Jets way for sure 
There is a part of my gut that is convinced they were after Jaelen Phillips in the trade down. 
Interesting take, wouldn't surprise me...He would have been intriguing pick as the upside is so immense. Phillips @ 1 and then one of the OT's in rd 2 might have made sense and maybe even improved the team more. We'll never know. 

But they would have had to trade up into Rd2 and it sure sounds like that would have been prohibitive this year. 

Philips and one of the FA OT's? That could have worked possibly - but the cap ramifications might have been stiff???

Here's what i think happened. And i say this based on nothing but gut feeling. So I'm just going to spit ball it for the fuck of it....  

When Slater goes off the board at 13, Vikings like four players: AVT, Darrisaw, Paye and Phillips. They rank them Phillips, Darrisaw, AVT, and Paye. 

Rick goes to work on league intelligence. He knows he also needs to get a viable backup QB from this draft. He estimates that the 2nd tier of QBs will start in the 3rd round. He knows adding another 3rd rounder would strengthen his position to achieve that.

So when the Jets make their offer of two 3rds (one very high) for moving down 9 slots, he looks at the needs of the teams between 14 and 23 and calculates that at least one of those four players should still be available at 23, so he makes the deal. 

Jets take AVT. OK, whatever. Teams seldom trade without asking their trade partner who they're going to take, so they probably already knew this. So 3 left and 8 slots. 

Then, out of the blue, Mayock scares the SHIT out of everyone by taking Alex Leatherwood at 17. Mayock doesn't know what he's doing, but STILL, this is alarming because it could start a run on tackles.

So Rick considers a trade up but can't find a taker. Dolphins then take potential Vikings target Phillips at 18. I think the Vikings thought he would drop further because of the concussion concerns.

At 19 and 20, Vikings get some help when the WTFs and the Giants pick according to plan and take LB Davis and WR Toney, respectively. 

Two picks away and only one player left among the players they were considering at 14. What will the Titans do at 22? They could definitely use a tackle (in hindsight, they took Radunz in round two). But thankfully they take a corner and the Vikings get Darrisaw. 

So...a little luck? Yep. Some league intel? Yep. In the end, we got a guy we were considering at 14 and because we traded down to do it, we added Kellen Mond and Wyatt Davis. We'll have to monitor the careers of Darrisaw, Mond and Davis vs. AVT. 

Did we get the guy we wanted? Yeah, we did. One of 'em. Just not the one Zimmer wanted. :-)

I think you nailed it exaclty as it went down and what the Vikings were thinking.  I was livid we didnt get the second rounder for moving down that much and then thought for sure Rick would trade up.  Good thing he has nerves of steel cause the draft through the Davis pick could not have fallen better for us as far as I am concerned. 

A possible franchise true left tackle, Guard and Mond.  I could not be more thrilled with these picks.  Screw the edge rusher if Zim cant use that genius with the defensive line we project having and all the defensive free agents and the returning vets then he should be fired and replaced with someone who can use those pieces and make a top ten defense to go along with a vastly improved offensive line.

Quote: @PSBLAKE said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

I think you nailed it exaclty as it went down and what the Vikings were thinking.  I was livid we didnt get the second rounder for moving down that much and then thought for sure Rick would trade up.  Good thing he has nerves of steel cause the draft through the Davis pick could not have fallen better for us as far as I am concerned. 

A possible franchise true left tackle, Guard and Mond.  I could not be more thrilled with these picks.  Screw the edge rusher if Zim cant use that genius with the defensive line we project having and all the defensive free agents and the returning vets then he should be fired and replaced with someone who can use those pieces and make a top ten defense to go along with a vastly improved offensive line.
Maroonbells: I agree with that thought process by Spelly during the draft.  I think that is the process with every pick.  You make a list of all the still available players you want with that next pick and as your pick approaches you start looking into wheeling and dealing if only 1 or 2 guys remain and you are  still 8-10 picks away.  I was a huge advocate of getting Darrisaw this draft at 14 to get him and 2 third rounder is a coup.  I also think you are spot on with those 4 remaining as our targets.

PSBlake: I agree with you as well in getting Wyatt Davis 86th overall.  I would have jumped for joy in taking him in Mond's spot at 66.  Every draftnik and every mock had Wyatt going as the first guard and in the mid second round at the lowest.  It was a shallow Guard draft but 2 guards were drafted ahead of Davis.  

All I wanted from this draft was Darrisaw and a Guard and I never even looked at Wyatt Davis because I assumed he would be long gone!

Interesting that we took Mond at 66 and then the next pick was Mills by the Texans.  I really wonder if the Texans wanted Mond (from Texas A&M).  I was not a fan of Mills pre-draft.

Then Zimmer started to get his way - 2 DE's, a possible 3T in Tywman, and a Safety.

I think Spelly is a Top 5 GM overall and a Top 3 with his drafts.  Someone posted that it's great that we won the draft but let's win on the field and that falls on Zimmer.  I think this should be a make or break year for him.  I also don't think that Spelly is tied to Zimmer from the Wilf's perspective meaning Zimmer may go and Spelly stays (at least I hope so).   

@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

Good breakdown, MB. Yes, I'm sure pulse rates spiked throughout the wait until pick #23 for the Vikings in the draft room. 

Quote: @minny65 said:
@PSBLAKE said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

Maroonbells: I agree with that thought process by Spelly during the draft.  I think that is the process with every pick.  You make a list of all the still available players you want with that next pick and as your pick approaches you start looking into wheeling and dealing if only 1 or 2 guys remain and you are  still 8-10 picks away.  I was a huge advocate of getting Darrisaw this draft at 14 to get him and 2 third rounder is a coup.  I also think you are spot on with those 4 remaining as our targets.

PSBlake: I agree with you as well in getting Wyatt Davis 86th overall.  I would have jumped for joy in taking him in Mond's spot at 66.  Every draftnik and every mock had Wyatt going as the first guard and in the mid second round at the lowest.  It was a shallow Guard draft but 2 guards were drafted ahead of Davis.  

All I wanted from this draft was Darrisaw and a Guard and I never even looked at Wyatt Davis because I assumed he would be long gone!

Interesting that we took Mond at 66 and then the next pick was Mills by the Texans.  I really wonder if the Texans wanted Mond (from Texas A&M).  I was not a fan of Mills pre-draft.

Then Zimmer started to get his way - 2 DE's, a possible 3T in Tywman, and a Safety.

I think Spelly is a Top 5 GM overall and a Top 3 with his drafts.  Someone posted that it's great that we won the draft but let's win on the field and that falls on Zimmer.  I think this should be a make or break year for him.  I also don't think that Spelly is tied to Zimmer from the Wilf's perspective meaning Zimmer may go and Spelly stays (at least I hope so).   
Agree with the bold. I think a big misconception among fans is that teams target one player at every pick. You hear it all the time. But I'm pretty certain that teams target groups of players within tiers. Drafting this way allows you to see where the value is, where you might need to move up, and where you can move down and still get a player in the same group. 

@minny65 said:
@PSBLAKE said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

Agree with the bold. I think a big misconception among fans is that teams target one player at every pick. You hear it all the time. But I'm pretty certain that teams target groups of players within tiers. Drafting this way allows you to see where the value is, where you might need to move up, and where you can move down and still get a player in the same group. 
once a fan understands this idea of targetting a group of players the moves by the Vikings make more sense.

@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

. What will the Titans do at 22? They could definitely use a tackle (in hindsight, they took Radunz in round two). But thankfully they take a corner and the Vikings get Darrisaw. 

If it helps any, it was pretty well known here in TN that they'd be drafting a CB 1st and Caleb Farley's name came out time and time again as the likely target. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

. What will the Titans do at 22? They could definitely use a tackle (in hindsight, they took Radunz in round two). But thankfully they take a corner and the Vikings get Darrisaw. 

If it helps any, it was pretty well known here in TN that they'd be drafting a CB 1st and Caleb Farley's name came out time and time again as the likely target. 
Yep, from what I heard, corner was the most likely. Still, as we know by their next selection, tackle was also a need and it would not surprise me at all to find out Tennessee had Darrisaw in their own "group" of players they were watching at 22.