Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings win draft day trade
[Image: min.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true][Image: nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true]
2. Minnesota Vikings-New York JetsThe trade: Jets receive picks Nos. 14 and 143; Vikings receive picks Nos. 23, 66 and 86
The value winner: Vikings
Surplus value: Early third-round pick
After leading these rankings a year ago, the Vikings again took advantage of the edge gained in the trade market. In this case it was an incredible deal for them, particularly considering the player they ended up with: Christian Darrisaw, who was a logical fit for Minnesota at pick No. 14 and ended up falling to No. 23.
For the Jets, this looks like an error. The overpay is by almost exactly pick No. 66 itself -- had that pick been removed, this trade would have been "fair." I'm not arguing the Jets shouldn't have drafted an offensive lineman to protect Zach Wilson. On the contrary, I think they should have drafted more of them.
If we want to put this trade in the context of players, think about it this way: If you were the Jets, for the same price would you rather draft USC guard Alijah Vera-Tucker or Oklahoma State tackle Teven Jenkins and BYU tackle/guard Brady Christensen? Jets GM Joe Douglas chose the former, but history indicates the latter is more likely to pay off. And that's not even counting the possibility that Darrisaw or Vera-Tucker might've slid to No. 23.
At the time of the Jets' selection, there was a 21% and 34% chance of those players making it to No. 23, respectively, according to ESPN's Draft Day Predictor.

For once the Team had some:  B) 

[Image: 8ceyjmo0oee3.jpeg]

Well I flipped my lid when they traded that far down...Thought for sure they would lose out on Darrisaw who I wanted over any of the Edges. 

But they obviously felt strongly one of their guys was going to be there or they wouldn't have done it. As I posted elsewhere, Zimm looked rattled after Rd1 and I'm sure they had some anxious moments watching their guys go off the board. Loved to have been a fly in the war room during all that. 

The fact they got Darrisaw makes even me happy at the outcome. 

OTOH, the OP lens about looking at this from the Jets perspective makes total sense. Not a blunder on their part, but not much value at all - the Jets way for sure 

It was nerve-wracking but there was some luck in the way the board fell and that Darrisaw was still there. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Well I flipped my lid when they traded that far down...Thought for sure they would lose out on Darrisaw who I wanted over any of the Edges. 

But they obviously felt strongly one of their guys was going to be there or they wouldn't have done it. As I posted elsewhere, Zimm looked rattled after Rd1 and I'm sure they had some anxious moments watching their guys go off the board. Loved to have been a fly in the war room during all that. 

OTOH, the OP lens about looking at this from the Jets perspective makes total sense. Not a blunder on their part, but not much value at all - the Jets way for sure 
There is a part of my gut that is convinced they were after Jaelen Phillips in the trade down. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

There is a part of my gut that is convinced they were after Jaelen Phillips in the trade down. 
Interesting take, wouldn't surprise me...He would have been intriguing pick as the upside is so immense. Phillips @ 1 and then one of the OT's in rd 2 might have made sense and maybe even improved the team more. We'll never know. 

But they would have had to trade up into Rd2 and it sure sounds like that would have been prohibitive this year. 

Philips and one of the FA OT's? That could have worked possibly - but the cap ramifications might have been stiff???

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

I was afraid of that and happy he was gone. I don't want anyone with medical issues.

Vikings made a calculated risk and it paid off, big time. That's the bottom line. You can say lucky, unlucky, etc. It was a move that paid off. This draft might be looked back on in 3 years as being one of their best in recent times. 

I think the Vikings come back strong this year, I have this feeling. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Vikings made a calculated risk and it paid off, big time. That's the bottom line. You can say lucky, unlucky, etc. It was a move that paid off. This draft might be looked back on in 3 years as being one of their best in recent times. 

I think the Vikings come back strong this year, I have this feeling. 
If Davis and Darrisaw are as billed? I'll be dancing me a jig...

There were 2 moves I wanted, and in this order: (1) trade up for Fields.  If we don't do that, then (2) trade back and get a second round pick (I did not think about getting 2 thirds, but that may have been even better).  When I saw the trade was with the Jets I was concerned because I did not believe the Jets would part with the second pick in round 2.  They didn't - that's a borderline first.  So I was very happy with the trade.