Bears 1st round picks since 2017

Tribisky - 2017
Roquam Smith- 2018
2019-No pick
2020-No pick
2021-Fields
2022- No pick

Ouch.
3 years and $45 million for Mike Glennon.

Eat your ham, Tina.

I certainly hope I am wrong but I said pre-draft that if Fields fall out of the Top 10 he would be a steal.  I think he certainly has franchise QB ability plus you add that "anger" in his eyes I think he is going to be a good one with a chip to show up the others.  (not like D***H**D Rodgers because he has a chip agianst the whole world including his familySmile

I would have really, really liked him at 14.  I would have been calling the Giants at 11 and I don't think a move up of 3 spots would have cost us a 1st rounder next year?  Maybe a second rounder and a later pick this year?  If so, I would have liked that despite my desperate plea (predraft) that we get Darrisaw and a Guard from this draft.  

We would have been able to get Wyatt at 78 and Jones with our original 90 pick but no top Tackle?  

I'm just admitting that I would have done that move up to 11 for Fields - I think he is a good one.  But we may have been trying for all I know and the Giants got a much better offer to move down with the Bears???  Who knows.

That all said - we got my predraft wishes - Darrisaw and a Top Guard....Boom.  I think Spelly is easily a TOP drafting GM and maybe even the best!

They know how to defend crossing routes in the NFL. Not saying he wont be a stud, but I'll wait to form an opinion until after he plays.

considering the source, I would put very little credence in that story

There is a lot kind of loaded into the scenario. 

1. When the Vikings discussing a trade up into the #7/8 area it was for Sewell not Fields. 
2. When the Giants came on the clock at #11 they had interest in Slater at that point
3a. Based on how the board fell if the Giants kept their pick the Cowboys weren't going to move and the Chargers were definitely taking Slater.
3b. They would have taken Fields at #14 since he fell into their lap. He has franchise QB upside and it he would have fallen into your lap. I don't think the team was convinced he was their guy which is why they wouldn't have traded futures to make it happen. But they would have taken him over Darrisaw or AVT. 

My hope is that the Ohio State QB bust pipeline continues, but I know that the consensus here seems to be that Fields is different than the other Ohio State passers. I think it is good that the Vikings were willing to take and even move up for a potential franchise QB and if Fields truly is a franchise guy, then the capital would have been worth it, but at the same time if you take a franchise guy and you don't have the picks to build the team around him, then they are starting at a disadvantage. At least the Vikings used those picks to add a LT, LG, and a QB and still have their picks for next year, so the hope would be that the investment they are making in the line will pay off big for Cousins, Mond, or maybe a future QB they take in the next year or two.

Leno was an incredible 7th round selection. 94 career starts.
Quote Tweet
[Image: MaAIgBaS_normal.jpg]
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
· 1m
The #Bears will be releasing LT Charles Leno, source said, their starter the last seven seasons. A surprise move. Chicago drafted OK St’s Teven Jenkins in the second round and plans to play him on the left side. Leno now available for LT-needy teams.

Lol. This will help.

Quote: @"Mattyman" said:
Bears 1st round picks since 2017

Tribisky - 2017
Roquam Smith- 2018
2019-No pick
2020-No pick
2021-Fields
2022- No pick

Ouch.
And this is why I am not overly worried about the Bears becoming the powerhouse.  They don't draft well, and then they give away their picks for bad players or players with a high salary (Mack).  Their pipeline of talent has got to be empty.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
There is a lot kind of loaded into the scenario. 

1. When the Vikings discussing a trade up into the #7/8 area it was for Sewell not Fields. 
2. When the Giants came on the clock at #11 they had interest in Slater at that point
3a. Based on how the board fell if the Giants kept their pick the Cowboys weren't going to move and the Chargers were definitely taking Slater.
3b. They would have taken Fields at #14 since he fell into their lap. He has franchise QB upside and it he would have fallen into your lap. I don't think the team was convinced he was their guy which is why they wouldn't have traded futures to make it happen. But they would have taken him over Darrisaw or AVT. 
That seems reasonable. Their primary interest was the top two LTs and they would have taken Fields if he fell into their lap, but they didn't want to give up significant future assets to get him. Do you think the Vikings would have still taken Darrisaw if Phillips or Paye were available at 23?