Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
24+ Hours Out
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
Is the word "presumably" his or yours? Because that's a lot to presume. Every team is making calls to gauge the cost of moving up and down. But moving from 14 to 4? That would cost the moon. 
Mine. I didn't actually hear the podcast, so I'm relying on non check marked tweeters.
Doogie and PA are useful smokers. They're connected and believable. If the Patriots or Bears or whoever think the Vikings might take the 5th QB at 14, they'll need to get ahead of the Vikings. And that would be good for the Vikings if they're targeting another position. 

Or maybe I'm just wishful thinking. Really don't want to take a QB in the first. Why do you bring in P2 and Woods and Mack, all on one-year contracts, if you're going to spend your 1st round pick on a player that won't help you in '21? 
It’d be comforting to think the Vikings have a master plan and building a roster is a perfect line but it’s not that easy. Notably, the Ngakoue deal(s) last year. Also just this offseason Guru said we swung big for Thuney but it didn’t work out. So now we got Hill and the Arizona guy. Things change so fast and that’s the game. 

But no way you let a few one year deals preclude you from drafting a QB you love— especially Mack and Woods who are making pennies.

FWIW I wouldn’t mind Mond in the second as a nice consolation prize, as you predicted in another thread. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
Is the word "presumably" his or yours? Because that's a lot to presume. Every team is making calls to gauge the cost of moving up and down. But moving from 14 to 4? That would cost the moon. 
Mine. I didn't actually hear the podcast, so I'm relying on non check marked tweeters.
Doogie and PA are useful smokers. They're connected and believable. If the Patriots or Bears or whoever think the Vikings might take the 5th QB at 14, they'll need to get ahead of the Vikings. And that would be good for the Vikings if they're targeting another position. 

Or maybe I'm just wishful thinking. Really don't want to take a QB in the first. Why do you bring in P2 and Woods and Mack, all on one-year contracts, if you're going to spend your 1st round pick on a player that won't help you in '21? 
Its been kept on the down low but is starting to come out now. They're very in on all the QBs, it just becomes a value game. Spieleman personally attended Alabama, BYU, OSU, and NDSU pro days. He could have sent a position coaches to see Radunz or the OSU LBs. He was there to see the quarterbacks. I'm with you that drafting a QB or giving up a lot to trade up for one isn't 100% intuitive. 

But think of it this way. The Vikings got held over the barrel when signing Kirk because they had no other options. They continue to be taken to the woodshed having no competition or even the slightest chance of moving on. Drafting a QB doesn't mean they're moving on from Kirk, its an avenue to do so. Are there more pressing needs? Yes. But reality is that a QB behind Cousins helps negotiations, potentially the team, or if all else fails can be flipped for equal or higher value in the future. 

CD has Sewell falling to 13. If Sewell's on the board at 11 or 12, Vikings will move up. Philly won't want to deal with us, but Giants at 11 might. Should only cost a couple of 4ths. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/charles-davis-2...er_nfl_cfb

This might be too on the nose, but I got to think the Broncos are a painfully obvious trade partner should Sewell slide.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Its been kept on the down low but is starting to come out now. They're very in on all the QBs, it just becomes a value game. Spieleman personally attended Alabama, BYU, OSU, and NDSU pro days. He could have sent a position coaches to see Radunz or the OSU LBs. He was there to see the quarterbacks. I'm with you that drafting a QB or giving up a lot to trade up for one isn't 100% intuitive. 

But think of it this way. The Vikings got held over the barrel when signing Kirk because they had no other options. They continue to be taken to the woodshed having no competition or even the slightest chance of moving on. Drafting a QB doesn't mean they're moving on from Kirk, its an avenue to do so. Are there more pressing needs? Yes. But reality is that a QB behind Cousins helps negotiations, potentially the team, or if all else fails can be flipped for equal or higher value in the future. 
I think they just have to cover all their bases. It's not surprising to me at all that they've scouted them all and are well-versed on all the QBs. It would, however, surprise me if they invested a lot of draft capital to move up and take one. 

[Image: BgCr4vnl_bigger.jpg]
If it’s not an offensive lineman for the #Vikings in Round 1 (as I projected in my seven-round mock this morning), the two names I’ve heard the most are Jaelan Phillips and Kwity Paye. A look at both of them here.

[Image: vNozrkF4_bigger.jpg]
Atlanta is trapped at #4 overall imo.

They're not gonna find a trade partner that needs to get up that high.

Kyle Pitts to ATL. I'm pencilling it in.

What I’m hearing about the Minnesota Vikings on the eve of the 2021 NFL Draft
[Image: GettyImages-1068982328-1024x683.jpg]
By Chad Graff 2h ago[Image: comment-icon@2x.png] 15 [Image: save-icon@2x.png]
The long and drawn-out process that leads up to the NFL Draft finally culminates Thursday when the first picks are made. But if the few months of speculation leading to the draft feel elongated, the week before the draft can seem especially extended.
In these last few days and hours, conversations pick up around the league, but it can be hard to decipher what is real and what are smokescreens either from scouts trying to hide what their team is doing or from agents trying to stir up the demand for their players. With all of that said, let’s empty the digital notebook on the eve of the draft with a look at what I’m hearing about the Vikings.
The Vikings love Rashawn Slater …And to be honest, who doesn’t? In the last month, there has been increased chatter that some around the league actually view the Northwestern offensive tackle as the top player at his position ahead of Oregon’s Penei Sewell, the presumptive top tackle for the last year. While I’m not sure if the Vikings are one of the teams that have Slater graded ahead of Sewell, they really like Slater.
This is an important point to keep in mind when viewing any prospect through the lens of what the Vikings might think: Rick Spielman loves to see how a prospect fares against his toughest collegiate competition. That’s part of why the Vikings drafted Garrett Bradbury, who played very well against Clemson, and, as Spielman noted in our story earlier this week, why he always had a high grade for Justin Jefferson. And when thinking about that aspect, Slater checks the box in a major way.
Slater opted out for the 2020 season but had his best 2019 performance against Ohio State’s Chase Young, the NFL’s 2020 defensive rookie of the year, when they faced off in college. Young managed one sack that game and only two tackles.
But that’s not the only reason the Vikings are high on Slater. He’s athletic enough to play in their zone-rushing scheme and powerful enough to manage against some of the elite edge rushers the Vikings play twice a year in the NFC North. There’s a reason some teams have Slater ahead of Sewell on their boards.
Spielman attended Slater’s pro day, something he tried to do with prospects he’s considering who sat out the 2020 season.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
A move up for Fields would make me nervous...

A move up for Lance or Wilson would make me happy...

A move up @ all by the Vikings would shock the s hit out of me...
A move for a qb would be a positive thinking long-term future sign. I don't think they are there unless they resolve the OL issues. They have to hit on OL or that's it.