Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mock 3 of 4.. You Know What That Means
I like AVT at 14 but I'm seeing less and less mocks giving us an Offensive lineman at 14. 
They keep pushing Phillips who I want nothing to do with. His talent is off the charts, but
I think his health is too big of a risk to gamble that early of a pick on. I'm also concerned
that we won't have any trade down partners since all of the QB's will likely be gone. Am I
making too big of a deal out of Phillips injury history and Concussion concerns? Help talk
me off the ledge as I fear this is who we will end up taking. 

Quote: @TBro said:
I like AVT at 14 but I'm seeing less and less mocks giving us an Offensive lineman at 14. 
They keep pushing Phillips who I want nothing to do with. His talent is off the charts, but
I think his health is too big of a risk to gamble that early of a pick on. I'm also concerned
that we won't have any trade down partners since all of the QB's will likely be gone. Am I
making too big of a deal out of Phillips injury history and Concussion concerns? Help talk
I know mock makers know about as much as the rest of us, but it’s strange I keep seeing Phillips either mocked to us at 14, or he goes later than 20. Probably means nothing but I’d feel better about drafting Phillips if it was after a trade back so we could hedge a little. 

Quote: @TBro said:
It's unknowable. The only thing I can say for "almost" certain is that the Vikings would not take Phillips if they didn't dig deep into his issues and felt OK with it. Doesn't mean he's not still a risk, but we are talking about a guy who would probably be a top 5 pick without the concussion concerns. Imagine Joey Bosa opposite Hunter. 

That work? 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@TBro said:
It's unknowable. The only thing I can say for "almost" certain is that the Vikings would not take Phillips if they didn't dig deep into his issues and felt OK with it. Doesn't mean he's not still a risk, but we are talking about a guy who would probably be a top 5 pick without the concussion concerns. Imagine Joey Bosa opposite Hunter. 

That work? 
Off topic, but teams are very worried about Phillips. It only take 1 but I've heard of 5+ teams who have not been able to get a good feel for his background medically. Its a combination of him not being able to be in Indy independent evaluations and his camp has only shared what they feel is "important to decision making". Its possible he falls out of the 1st round. 

@TBro said:

That work? 
I don't know about TBro but that reminder made me feel better about it.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@TBro said:

That work? 
Off topic, but teams are very worried about Phillips. It only take 1 but I've heard of 5+ teams who have not been able to get a good feel for his background medically. Its a combination of him not being able to be in Indy independent evaluations and his camp has only shared what they feel is "important to decision making". Its possible he falls out of the 1st round. 
Wouldn't surprise me at all. He's the biggest wild card in the draft. Might be one of those picks for a team who has two or three picks in the top 40, mitigating the risk somewhat. Harder to swallow that kind of risk for a team with only one pick in the top 77. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@TBro said:

That work? 
I believe the Vikings are typically pretty conservative when it comes to medical evaluations. The only example I can think of is Jonathan Vilma, but that was before this front office.

@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@TBro said:

That work? 
Wouldn't surprise me at all. He's the biggest wild card in the draft. Might be one of those picks for a team who has two or three picks in the top 40, mitigating the risk somewhat. Harder to swallow that kind of risk for a team with only one pick in the top 77. 
Agreed. His talent and potential is mouthwatering. Can Spielman and Zimmer risk their jobs on Erasmus James 2.0 when we don't have a second round pick this year? Maybe that is a risk they are willing to take but the lack of medical transparency by his camp is a major red flag for me. If you don't have a partner to trade down with, and you take that gamble at 14, Spielman better have a plan to move up into Second Round to grab an OLine starter. I'm hoping the rumors about the Giants taking Philipps at 11 are accurate and we won't have to worry about it.  

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
I believe the Vikings are typically pretty conservative when it comes to medical evaluations. The only example I can think of is Jonathan Vilma, but that was before this front office.
I still think of Dimitrius Underwood.  But that was many moons ago.  ... There is some talk (and not by Phillips' reps) that Phillips' medical issues are overblown.  

Quote: @dadevike said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
I still think of Dimitrius Underwood.  But that was many moons ago.  ... There is some talk (and not by Phillips' reps) that Phillips' medical issues are overblown.  

Is it possible Phillip's just forgot about his medical issues?