Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mock 3 of 4.. You Know What That Means
We're one week out from D-day. After mocking scenarios of a trade-back and trade-up, this time we're staying put. No additional details needed lets jump into it. 

1(14) - Alijah Vera-Tucker OG/USC: Historically the Vikings have let the board come to them or have traded back, this would just be another instance of just that. Depending on where the run on O-lineman begins in round 1, the Vikings are likely choosing between Darrisaw & AVT at #14 barring the improbable. In this mock the Vikings pull the trigger on AVT with Darrisaw going right before them. In AVT you're probably getting the cleanest prospect in the 1st round and a day one starter at either LT or LG. Most media pundits will tell you he's a guard and I agree he may have a higher upside inside, but he is very capable of winning a competition at LT and I believe the Vikings will give him a shot to earn that position before moving him inside. 

TRADE 2(56) via SEA - D'Wayne Eskridge WR/Western Michigan: To move up the Vikings trade up with the pick needy Seahawks and only give up 3(78) & 4(119) to do so. A healthy Chad Beebe can hold down the Vikings WR3 spot considering how much they leverage their TEs, but competition won't hurt. During free agency the Vikings had a large amount of interest in Lions WR/KR Jamal Agnew and Eskridge brings a lot to the special teams unit both as a return threat and gunner. Fans and the media talk about their offense & defense but the special teams were horrendous last year. Eskridge fills a need at WR3 and improves the STs unit drastically, a win/win. 

3(90) - Brady Christensen OT/BYU: Teams have been critical of Brady being a bit older than the typical draft prospect, but he can play. In the NFL he projects as an all-around RT but could slide inside to guard if needed. Christensen isn't going to blow you away with  his tape, but sometimes the best O-lineman are the ones who aren't showing up. That is the story here. With AVT taken in round 1 the additional of Christensen gives them endless O-line combinations. With the personnel in-hand I am thinking O'Neil / AVT / Bradbury / Cleveland / Christensen from left to right. That can be a GOOD line. 

4(125) - Cam Sample DE/Tulane: Alright although I list sample as a DE I think he could be equally as good at DT so he's a bit position flexible. For the Vikings what will appeal to them with Sample is his first-step quickness. Watching the film he is always the first one moving on the defensive side of the ball and that causes a lot of problems. In 2020 he started to put together the physical tools with more technique which really started to lead to some consistent pressure. If you are looking for a prospect to coach into a starter on the defensive side of the ball, here you go. Ultimately he may not be the longest lineman but everything he does on tape shows he can play. 

4(134) - Derrick Barnes OLB/Purdue: Prior to free agency the Vikings elected to retain Anthony Barr on a restructured contract, which was likely the best choice for everyone involved. The trade-off is Barr will not enter free agency next off-season and the Vikings have mediocre LB depth at best. Barnes likely won't slide in and play WLB in 2020 but is more of a true stack-LB who can potentially backup and or take over for Barr in 2021. Barnes will never be the player Barr is from a pass rushing standpoint, but he's Anthony Barr 'lite" and for the price he may be a viable solution moving forward. 

4(143) - Shakur Brown CB/Michigan State: After the signing of Patrick Peterson and Mac Alexander it appeared the Vikings were set at CB for the upcoming season. Enter Jeff Gladney being charged in Texas with a pretty serious crime. The Vikings likely will see out how Gladney's charges end up, but it would be foolish to rely on him being available week 1. The team has a good starting unit with Dantzler/Peterson/Mac with Mike Hughes subbing in, but one additional body could be added on the outside. Shakur Brown was a productive outside corner at Michigan and plays with a feisty/physical style that should serve him well in the NFL. Although he lacks some of the high-end physical attributes you look for in CBs he's a dog on the field. 

5(157) - Evan McPherson K/Florida: Put the phrase above on repeat, "The MN Vikings stunk on Special teams in 2020". That also happens to include the kick game. Really I don't know if drafting a kicker makes the most sense since the Vikings as a whole have been a black hole for anyone putting a foot on a football, but maybe at some point the luck changes? McPherson was the best kicker in college football last season and should beat Greg Joseph in a training camp competition. They had the right idea with Daniel Carlson they just cut bait too early. 

5(168) - Damar Hamlin S/Pittsburgh: If you are looking for an under the radar player, Hamlin is one of my favorites. He lacks high-end speed/strength but plays FS at an extremely high level and possesses some of the best instincts in the draft. The signing of Xavier Woods will help this upcoming season but there is still work to be done at the safety position. Hamlin in the Vikings defense fits directly into the Anthony Harris role and can play FS in a slit-safety defense. One underrated question I have is how the Vikings plan to defend TEs in 2021 as Harris basically erased them each of the past two years. Hamlin had some success in a similar role this past season and could project to start in 2022+ with some development. 

6(199) - Kene Nwangu RB/Iowa State: Underrated. Pretty much the only thing I can say about Nwangu who would be on a freaks list in this years class due to his pure athleticism. Mike Boone didn't make the Vikings roster initially since he was a great RB, it was his all-around special teams play that kept him on the roster. Nwangu can continue to develop as a RB but could compete for kick/punt return duties in 2021 and also can play on kick/punt coverage day one. He's the best kind of RB3 since you can use him in about 10 different ways.    

A GOOD line is all that is needed for this offense to be more consistent, dangerous against top competition. 

A good line with this offense and a defense bounce back due to health and FA, this is a contender

Really torn about AVT as a T vs OG. Randall McDaniel upside as an IOL. Wasn't that the last time Vikings drafted an OG @ #1???

Eskridge is one hell of a talent, but I have to admit at being surprised @ Vikings moving up for a WR and not a DL. 

Nwangu at 199 might be one hell of a bargain. 

Agreed, anything we can do to improve a putrid 2020 ST's unit would be appreciated

I just don't know that I'd take a guard that early especially considering the OL depth in this draft. Could he play tackle? Yeah maybe, but the arm length will be more of an issue at the next level. He could be an upper echelon guard, but again...I don't think you use a top 15 pick on a guard unless you are getting a Quinton Nelson type. 

Zimmer just rolled over in his grave reading the first 3 picks but I love the idea of getting 2 OLs in the first 3 rounds. We need it.
This draft isn't "sexy" but a lot of these guys would get a lot of playing time as rookies. That seems to be what the Vikings are looking for this offseason, so this does seem realistic. Thanks for posting.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
Zimmer just rolled over in his grave reading the first 3 picks but I love the idea of getting 2 OLs in the first 3 rounds. We need it.
This draft isn't "sexy" but a lot of these guys would get a lot of playing time as rookies. That seems to be what the Vikings are looking for this offseason, so this does seem realistic. Thanks for posting.
Not sexy? I'm gonna have wood for four hours if we get Eskridge. 

I agree with you. The lay of the land strongly suggests there's going to be a very good player at 14. One that both fills a need and is very likely within one or two slots of being the consensus BPA.

While I wouldn't be too surprised to see us trade up 2 or 3 spots to get in front of San Diego if a player like Sewell or Slater is still around at 11 or 12,  unlike most years, I would be VERY surprised to see us trade down. This doesn't look like a trade down area of the draft considering our needs. 

Like your first four picks. Can't go wrong with AVT, but I think he's a guard only. Also love Christensen, but I'm pretty convinced he's a guard only too (32.25 arms), which is fine. We could use two guards if we move O'Neill or Cleveland to LT. 

I like Eskridge, but I think that's a little high for him. I like Shi Smith more and you can maybe get him a round later. Eskridge has better straight line speed, but Smith has better feet IMO. And in my opinion, feet translate better than speed. Also like Fehoko in the 3rd.

I have Cam Sample as my most underrated Edge. Pulled up the Senior Bowl the other day and he really stands out. You think where the hell did he come from, but the Tulane stuff on Youtube shows a lot of the same thing. I think maybe the media are sleeping on him a little. 

I don't care what anybody says, I draft a kicker too.  And Elle's brother Evan is the best in draft. Best kicker in the draft means about as much as the best-grooomed sheep at the 4-H, but it's worth a 5th rounder to get some qualified comp for whatshisname. Damar and Kene are two good sleepers to throw a flier at. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I agree with you. The lay of the land strongly suggests there's going to be a very good player at 14. One that both fills a need and is very likely within one or two slots of being the consensus BPA.

While I wouldn't be too surprised to see us trade up 2 or 3 spots to get in front of San Diego if a player like Sewell or Slater is still around at 11 or 12,  unlike most years, I would be VERY surprised to see us trade down. This doesn't look like a trade down area of the draft considering our needs. 

Like your first four picks. Can't go wrong with AVT, but I think he's a guard only. Also love Christensen, but I'm pretty convinced he's a guard only too (32.25 arms), which is fine. We could use two guards if we move O'Neill or Cleveland to LT. 

I like Eskridge, but I think that's a little high for him. I like Shi Smith more and you can maybe get him a round later. Eskridge has better straight line speed, but Smith has better feet IMO. And in my opinion, feet translate better than speed. Also like Fehoko in the 3rd.

I have Cam Sample as my most underrated Edge. Pulled up the Senior Bowl the other day and he really stands out. You think where the hell did he come from, but the Tulane stuff on Youtube shows a lot of the same thing. I think maybe the media are sleeping on him a little. 

I don't care what anybody says, I draft a kicker too.  And Elle's brother Evan is the best in draft. Best kicker in the draft means about as much as the best-grooomed sheep at the 4-H, but it's worth a 5th rounder to get some qualified comp for whatshisname. Damar and Kene are two good sleepers to throw a flier at. 
There's another four hours.

I'd be happy with AVT and Christensen, but trading up for a 5'9 receiver from a small school doesn't get me overly excited. I'd rather that trade up be for Payton Turner if he fell there or maybe Ossai.

I know people say not to take OL early but the OL issues have been ongoing and that needs to change.