Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Totally Unfounded And Reckless Speculation
Quote: @comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
No thanks. Then the Vikings take a rookie QB at #3. And so Dalvin, JJ, Hunter, P2, Barr, etc wait until 22 or 23 to contend, while we see if this QB (Lance, Fields or Jones) is going to be Trubisky, Wentz, Goff, Winston, Mariota.... or Mahomes. 

No, give me Cousins, a LT and a DE and this team contends now. 

Lol it's not a contender now. 
Yeah, it is. 

Ok sure.
There. See, that wasn't so hard, was it? 

@MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
No thanks. Then the Vikings take a rookie QB at #3. And so Dalvin, JJ, Hunter, P2, Barr, etc wait until 22 or 23 to contend, while we see if this QB (Lance, Fields or Jones) is going to be Trubisky, Wentz, Goff, Winston, Mariota.... or Mahomes. 

Yeah, it is. 

Ok sure.

I have to agree, there is no reason to believe that this defense won't take a significant jump up from the bottom 10 to the top 10 with the addition of Hunter, Barr, Kendricks, Pierce, Peterson, Tomlinson, Woods and the growth of Cam, Gladney.  Think about how hamstrung our coaches were to run their exotic packages with Jones, Hand, Stephen, Davis on the field. 

If we had this defense last year, do we lose vs Tennessee?  Atlanta?  Seattle?  Dallas?  Tampa? Not changing anyway the offense played, just the defense.  That's 4-5 wins, a quality seed in the playoffs and as good as a shot as anyone.  If the defense stays healthy, I am confident this is a top 5 defense in points and yards allowed in 2021.

Add in hopefully an upgrade at LT and LG before it's all said and done, maybe another pass rusher, there is no reason to believe we can't beat Tampa, Green Bay, the Rams, straight up.  If that's the case, then you are a contender

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:

Yeah, it is. 

Ok sure.
There. See, that wasn't so hard, was it? 

Fantasy is always easier than reality.  Purple Pride!!

Quote: @Skodin said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:

Yeah, it is. 

Ok sure.

I have to agree, there is no reason to believe that this defense won't take a significant jump up from the bottom 10 to the top 10 with the addition of Hunter, Barr, Kendricks, Pierce, Peterson, Tomlinson, Woods and the growth of Cam, Gladney.  Think about how hamstrung our coaches were to run their exotic packages with Jones, Hand, Stephen, Davis on the field. 

If we had this defense last year, do we lose vs Tennessee?  Atlanta?  Seattle?  Dallas?  Tampa? Not changing anyway the offense played, just the defense.  That's 4-5 wins, a quality seed in the playoffs and as good as a shot as anyone.  If the defense stays healthy, I am confident this is a top 5 defense in points and yards allowed in 2021.

Add in hopefully an upgrade at LT and LG before it's all said and done, maybe another pass rusher, there is no reason to believe we can't beat Tampa, Green Bay, the Rams, straight up.  If that's the case, then you are a contender

The contenders in this league are elite qb-led teams with offense first philosophy.  The defense/run game approach wins an outlier title once every 15 years or so.   Especially now with the rules changes and evolution of the game over the last 5-10 years.   So yeah maybe they get back to a high rated defense and maybe they win 10 games but they will not go anywhere once they are on the road in the playoffs.  Even with a high rated D they mostly lose to GB and Chicago the last few  years and why is that changing... so any playoff is ultimately a road game crapfest.  I've seen this Mike Zimmer movie for 7 years now.   Every other year you get to the playoffs and die screaming.   Believing and wanting is fine but it doesn't get me up in the morning with a purple hard-on.  And believe me at my age I would love to get up in the morning with a purple hard-on lol.

The contenders in this league are elite qb-led teams with offense first philosophy.  The defense/run game approach wins an outlier title once every 15 years or so.   Especially now with the rules changes and evolution of the game over the last 5-10 years.   So yeah maybe they get back to a high rated defense and maybe they win 10 games but they will not go anywhere once they are on the road in the playoffs.  Even with a high rated D they mostly lose to GB and Chicago the last few  years and why is that changing... so any playoff is ultimately a road game crapfest.  I've seen this Mike Zimmer movie for 7 years now.   Every other year you get to the playoffs and die screaming.   Believing and wanting is fine but it doesn't get me up in the morning with a purple hard-on.  And believe me at my age I would love to get up in the morning with a purple hard-on lol.
So it was Tampa's offense first philosophy that held Mahomes and the rest of the KC offense to 9 points last  SB?  Brady was picked off 3 times against GB in the playoffs, and TB still kicked their arse.  That team had a very strong D, and an offense that could capitolize.  Not the greatest offense, but a good one.

If the Vikes get a top 10 or 5 defense, they might also have a top 10 or 5 offense to match.  That starts sounding like a contender to me that most likely wins the NFC North.

@Skodin said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:

Yeah, it is. 

Ok sure.

Defense and offensive balance wins. Always has, always will. I would say the pass-first teams are the ones that are the outlier, not the opposite. 

Also, seems pretty ridiculous to me to think that a team that was one game away from the playoffs last year and added Hunter, Pierce, Tomlinson, Barr, Kendricks and Patrick Peterson is not going to improve a couple of games. And don't forget the other side of the ball, with Dalvin, Thielen and JJ in his 2nd season. We still have work to do, but there is a draft in April and plenty of post-June cap space to fill the couple remaining holes. As Peterson said, this team is loaded. Personally, if we have a good draft, and stay relatively healthy, I think this team improves about 4 or 5 games. And you'll see the media start to recognize that this summer. 

Now you be sure to remember this post, and we'll see who's right. 

@comet52 said:
@Skodin said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:

Yeah, it is. 

Ok sure.

Defense and offensive balance wins. Always has, always will. I would say the pass-first teams are the ones that are the outlier, not the opposite. 

Also, seems pretty ridiculous to me to think that a team that was one game away from the playoffs last year and added Hunter, Pierce, Tomlinson, Barr, Kendricks and Patrick Peterson is not going to improve a couple of games. And don't forget the other side of the ball, with Dalvin, Thielen and JJ in his 2nd season. We still have work to do, but there is a draft in April and plenty of post-June cap space to fill the couple remaining holes. As Peterson said, this team is loaded. Personally, if we have a good draft, and stay relatively healthy, I think this team improves about 4 or 5 games. And you'll see the media start to recognize that this summer. 

Balance is an ideal way to win, add solid special teams to the mix as well. But the reality is that high octane offenses have a higher floor than teams that only excel on defense. Not suggesting that is the Vikings but just in general that has been the trend in both the NFL and College. 

@comet52 said:
@Skodin said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:

Yeah, it is. 

Ok sure.

Seems like more of the same purple fantasy stuff that passes for insight around here.  What is the objective criteria for who is right?  Make a low playoff seed and lose, you are a "contender"?   It's just rinse repeat of the slightly better than average result you get with Zimmer ever other year, as opposed to the .500 flop in the even years.

I'll tell you what I'll remember - I'll bet you 50 bucks they don't win the Super Bowl and I'll be happy to lose the bet if it comes to that, and happy to remember to collect when I win which is the reality and likelihood.  Whaddya say?   You surely are willing to put some money where your mouth is on behalf of a real contender, right?

@MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
@Skodin said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:

Yeah, it is. 

Ok sure.

Seems like more of the same purple fantasy stuff that passes for insight around here.  What is the objective criteria for who is right?  Make a low playoff seed and lose, you are a "contender"?   It's just rinse repeat of the slightly better than average result you get with Zimmer ever other year, as opposed to the .500 flop in the even years.

I'll tell you what I'll remember - I'll bet you 50 bucks they don't win the Super Bowl and I'll be happy to lose the bet if it comes to that, and happy to remember to collect when I win which is the reality and likelihood.  Whaddya say?   You surely are willing to put some money where your mouth is on behalf of a real contender, right?
You'll bet me $50 the Vikings won't win the Super Bowl? So... I win if the Vikings win the Super Bowl. You win if any of the other 31 teams win the Super Bowl. LOL. This sounds like a bet I made once in middle school on a game that had already been played.  

No, silly. My point is, and always has been, that the Super Bowl winner is not always the best team in the NFL, but the team that gets hot and healthy at the right time. And that the best thing to do is to try to field a playoff roster as many times as you can and hope that eventually you're the team that gets hot and healthy at the right time. For example, Tampa went into the playoffs last year completely healthy. Seriously, not a single injury. 

And you can't predict injuries. So my bet is that this is a playoff roster. And I'm willing to say that even before i see all my cards (the draft). You want to bet that it's not, I'm game. 

So Comet, are you only a Viking fan because of all the SB victories they've had over the years?  B)  Seriously, I'm to the point in life where I'm almost certain I'll never see the Vikes win one, but so what.  I love Minnesota, and the Vikes are my team.