Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peterson Signing - Boom or Bust
Quote: @PSBLAKE said:
good signing we need veteran leadershop to teach these very good prospects how to play.  Patrick will not whine on the sidelines and fake an injury when he gets beat.  He will be a stabilizing force for these talented corners we have now.
Is Peterson known as a mentor? I really don't know. But I think we assume older guys are, and with those like Peterson who entered the NFL with tremendous physical advantages, they didn't really need to go through the same things as someone who has to perfect his craft to survive. Would his perspective match that of someone like Kris Boyd? "Kris, just go back out there and run faster than everyone else on the field, jump higher than those WRs, outmuscle that RB, that's how I did it when I was coming up." Not many HOF players become great coaches. 

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
This team is in need for a rebuild so bad that I hate it. We have been trying to put chrome on a moped and call it a harely for so long. 

This team needs a good solid breakdown and rebuild in the worst way. I am tired of retooling.
The team won't go into a full blown rebuild mode with Kirk Cousins and his contract here in Minnesota. Won't happen. They will reload and hope to catch lightning in a bottle. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Mike Olson said:
This team is in need for a rebuild so bad that I hate it. We have been trying to put chrome on a moped and call it a harely for so long. 

This team needs a good solid breakdown and rebuild in the worst way. I am tired of retooling.
The team won't go into a full blown rebuild mode with Kirk Cousins and his contract here in Minnesota. Won't happen. They will reload and hope to catch lightning in a bottle. 
Correct. 

Quote: @eckman said:
Not sure I love the signing at the price. Seems like he is at the same stage as Rhodes was when he left here, very much in decline. Paid $10 mil for the name and not the production. I hope Peterson still has some game in him.
But Rhodes revived once he got out of here and to Indianapolis. Make of that whatever you wish.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Mike Olson said:

which is why many fans are ready to be done with Cousins,  Zim and are growing weary of Spielman.  There are a lot that think the "reload" vs a true "rebuild' has been tried for so long that it just isnt going to get it done.  Some of us put more value on a true superbowl run than on simply being happy with the current playoffs every year with no real feeling of being a lombardi contender.   sure lightning in a bottle is a thing,  but we are Vikings fans,  that bottle has been broke over our heads to many times to think its ever going to be a good thing for us.

Signing Peterson definitely creates more optimism for me. We have a good QB who has a ton of weapons. We now have a revived defense that will be tough up the middle and can perhaps have a rookie that can also contribute defensively (DE or Safety?). Currently, the top teams in the NFC will be two teams with old QBs (Tom and Aaron) and then a division that will likely beat themselves up (NFC West). I think if we can get in we will have as good of a chance as everyone else so long as the OL is addressed in the draft and can be average.

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
Signing Peterson definitely creates more optimism for me. We have a good QB who has a ton of weapons. We now have a revived defense that will be tough up the middle and can perhaps have a rookie that can also contribute defensively (DE or Safety?). Currently, the top teams in the NFC will be two teams with old QBs (Tom and Aaron) and then a division that will likely beat themselves up (NFC West). I think if we can get in we will have as good of a chance as everyone else so long as the OL is addressed in the draft and can be average.

I agree, I like the moves the Vikings have made so far.
The bold part of what you said is so key. 3 years of Kirk and every offseason is, "man if we could just get him an offensive line...". If we're saying the same exact thing again next year I might really lose my mind.