Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peterson Signing - Boom or Bust
This guy thinks it was a bad signing and Peterson is washed up.  Hope he is wrong and Zimmer can resurrect Peterson.
https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2021/...cy-grades/

So, I don’t think a one year contract has much bust to it at all.  But, I guess we need headlines...

Boom!  B) Although Patrick may one day get that bust...!

good signing we need veteran leadershop to teach these very good prospects how to play.  Patrick will not whine on the sidelines and fake an injury when he gets beat.  He will be a stabilizing force for these talented corners we have now.

Well we shed Rudy's ridiculous overpay and made Barr's more palatable, but then Rick just felt a void of sorts.  After Peterson's agent said they'd take 5 mil,  Ricky said, "No let's make it 10."  

"That’s not big money for a cornerback per se, but it doesn’t do much for a Minnesota secondary that could lose safety Anthony Harris in free agency and has two 2020 rookies — Cameron Dantzler and Jeff Gladney — who struggled through most of their inaugural seasons."

Here and I thought they played pretty well for rookies hung out to dry by zero pass rush.  

No one expects shut-down Patrick Peterson from three years ago, but like Rhodes last year and Newman a few years ago, I expect him to have a rebound season with new surroundings, and in a secondary where he may no longer be handed the toughest assignment. I keep thinking of Richard Sherman, who everyone thought was cooked. He shows up in San Fransisco and has another All Pro year. 

At the very least, Peterson's a starting outside cornerback (or safety?) on a team that drafted two pretty good looking corners last year in Dantzler and Gladney and looks to draft another this year. His experience and leadership will be big for the secondary...and Zimmer...who couldn't do what he wanted to last year. All at zero cost to future caps. 

Last piece for the defense is another edge rusher.  Will this be a Dunlap vet signing or will they move down in the first and get greatee value by taking DE?

i am also curious:
 if Hughes shows up healthy and ready, can he man the outside while PP plays safety.

If Hughes is done, then PP goes outside

This team is in need for a rebuild so bad that I hate it. We have been trying to put chrome on a moped and call it a harely for so long. 

This team needs a good solid breakdown and rebuild in the worst way. I am tired of retooling.

Not sure I love the signing at the price. Seems like he is at the same stage as Rhodes was when he left here, very much in decline. Paid $10 mil for the name and not the production. I hope Peterson still has some game in him.

Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
This team is in need for a rebuild so bad that I hate it. We have been trying to put chrome on a moped and call it a harely for so long. 

This team needs a good solid breakdown and rebuild in the worst way. I am tired of retooling.

I badly wanted a rebuild last offseason and today I feel even stronger it was the right call for last year. It might still be the right call for this offseason, but I'm less convinced it makes sense this year.
I still want a different direction at QB because I'm fairly convinced you either need a top 5 guy, or a cheap guy (rookie deal). But I also know the Vikings have a lot of talent. They have a lot of fans who are excited to come back and watch games, myself included. But there's also many long time season ticket holders who maybe realized last year-- hey, watching from home isn't so bad. Getting a lot of those people back into the stadium is going to be hard.

From a business sense I can see why they're trying to cobble together a contender. Even if that contender is only for the playoffs this season and not for the Super Bowl, as we'd all like.
I also am very happy with the Pat Peterson deal. It's not "high risk, high reward". To me it's medium risk, high reward.