Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings looking at over $16M in cap space
I'm sorry, I am 100% in the boat of not paying extra for a guy that played zero snaps last year. I love Danielle, great player, didnt play last year. He had 29 sacks over 2 season, 0 last year. He can be pissy if that's how he really feels...come play 8 games and give him a raise if he's still dominant. 

This is the NFL and feelings get hurt because it's a business. His business team signed that contract and he's locked in for 3 more years. Want to hold out? I bet he wont like the fines that come with it.

essentially its a guy that has less than 10 sacks a year over the last 3 years complaining about making 17.5 million dollars this coming year.....

@MarkSP18 a neck injury that required disk surgery shouldn't factor in?

Ok.

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
I'm sorry, I am 100% in the boat of not paying extra for a guy that played zero snaps last year. I love Danielle, great player, didnt play last year. He had 29 sacks over 2 season, 0 last year. He can be pissy if that's how he really feels...come play 8 games and give him a raise if he's still dominant. 

This is the NFL and feelings get hurt because it's a business. His business team signed that contract and he's locked in for 3 more years. Want to hold out? I bet he wont like the fines that come with it.
Or if you are proactive (and convinced he is healthy) you can make him happy, while getting a bargain because he has 0 leverage.  Don't know I like that approach, but it is an option that preempts paying him top dollar next year if he blows up with our new Wall 2.0 (no relation).

Quote: @greediron said:
@Hawkvike25 said:

Or if you are proactive (and convinced he is healthy) you can make him happy, while getting a bargain because he has 0 leverage.  Don't know I like that approach, but it is an option that preempts paying him top dollar next year if he blows up with our new Wall 2.0 (no relation).
didnt sound like he was interested in discounts at this time.. basically just pay him.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@MarkSP18 a neck injury that required disk surgery shouldn't factor in?

Ok.
JJ Watt has a disc surgery too and has not had any other issues.  I think his was in the upper back somewhere but not sure.

Either way, the Vikings are in a tough spot.

They are not giving Odenigbo a tender offer and only have Weatherly, Wonnum, Willekes, and Brailford. 

They may sign a Carlos Dunlap, Everson Griffen, Olivier Vernon, or some other older vet.

I mean maybe he is not going to come back the same as before but he is looking pretty good.

If the doctors and Sugarman sign off on his health then what is the problem?

Giving him an extra bump for one year to a respectable 20M that allows him to prove he is back seems like a nice compromise that MIGHT keep everyone happy.

It also is not much risk for the Vikings besides giving the dude more cash.

But as always, most fans are against this kind of move.  Most fans are more than happy underpaying and as soon as a player wants more they become a pariah.

If the Vikings want any kind of pass rush then they need to do something to keep him happy.

Here is a trade idea though that is probably stupid.

Trade Hunter to the Jaguars for Josh Allen DE and the #43 pick.

Not enough?

I'm not sure that back surgery and neck surgery is an apples to apples comparison.

With the CBA, I don't think the Vikings are in a tough spot. If Danny holds out, he gets fined daily. With an actual set of NFL caliber iDL, we can make due. Not optimal, but definitely miles ahead of the tepid rush we mounted last year.

Gimme the #23, #43, and Josh Allen and I'm good. Regardless, it's not happening for a mirade of reasons.

Can you say Orlando Brown trade?    Sure...  =) 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I am assuming that they are doing this to give Hunter what he wants to shut him the hell up.  it would be nice to think that they are going to make some splash moves/signings but that really hasnt been their approach to FA aside from Cousins in the last 10 years.
Thing is, extending Hunter would almost certainly REDUCE his '21 cap hit. Vikings might want to rollover some space into '22 when Cousins' cap hit goes up another $10M. 
you keep saying that,  maybe it would maybe it wouldnt,  if he is wanting about 10 million a year more than what he is making now I dont know how they show a decrease this year without really fucking a future years ability to work FA or resign our own.  pushing money into the future is a recipe for failure, at some point you just cant push any more down the road and you end up with shit for a year or two.  IMO better to just keep things close to current so you can react to needs as they occur as much as possible.
It's up to the Vikings on how they want to structure it. But it's just how contracts are structured. Damn near all of them. Now, the Vikings may choose '22 to be the low cap year considering that's when Cousins' cap goes up. But this is not Breesy can kicking when you're talking about a 26-year-old player. 
Case in point: Trent Williams record breaking $138M contract: Base salary in 2021 is $1.55M. 2021 cap number is $8.2M, and only $14M the next year. Both of which are lower the Hunter's current cap hit of $17M. Williams cap hit goes up big in 2023, but it's only fully guaranteed for the first two years. These contracts aren't what they seem. If the Vikings extend Hunter, his cap hit WILL go down. It just will. That's why I keep saying it. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I am assuming that they are doing this to give Hunter what he wants to shut him the hell up.  it would be nice to think that they are going to make some splash moves/signings but that really hasnt been their approach to FA aside from Cousins in the last 10 years.
Thing is, extending Hunter would almost certainly REDUCE his '21 cap hit. Vikings might want to rollover some space into '22 when Cousins' cap hit goes up another $10M. 
you keep saying that,  maybe it would maybe it wouldnt,  if he is wanting about 10 million a year more than what he is making now I dont know how they show a decrease this year without really fucking a future years ability to work FA or resign our own.  pushing money into the future is a recipe for failure, at some point you just cant push any more down the road and you end up with shit for a year or two.  IMO better to just keep things close to current so you can react to needs as they occur as much as possible.
It's up to the Vikings on how they want to structure it. But it's just how contracts are structured. Damn near all of them. Now, the Vikings may choose '22 to be the low cap year considering that's when Cousins' cap goes up. But this is not Breesy can kicking when you're talking about a 26-year-old player. 
Case in point: Trent Williams record breaking $138M contract: Base salary in 2021 is $1.55M. 2021 cap number is $8.2M, and only $14M the next year. Both of which are lower the Hunter's current cap hit of $17M. Williams cap hit goes up big in 2023, but it's only fully guaranteed for the first two years. These contracts aren't what they seem. If the Vikings extend Hunter, his cap hit WILL go down. It just will. That's why I keep saying it. 
Not every agent/player is looking for a hallow contract to stroke his ego,  hunter wanting 8 more per year is going to likely be real money that will hit the team hard at some point.