Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings looking at over $16M in cap space
Vikings added voidable years to Tomlinson's contract. Once Thielen's restructure hits the books, Vikings looking at $15.85 in cap space. And this doesn't yet include a Harry extension which should add a few more. Vikings definitely clearing cap space for.....someone. 

Replying to
That should put the #Vikings around $15.85 million in remaining cap space, once an Adam Thielen restructure hits the books.

Keep talking.....

wake me when we sign some decent Oline.

I am assuming that they are doing this to give Hunter what he wants to shut him the hell up.  it would be nice to think that they are going to make some splash moves/signings but that really hasnt been their approach to FA aside from Cousins in the last 10 years.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
I am assuming that they are doing this to give Hunter what he wants to shut him the hell up.  it would be nice to think that they are going to make some splash moves/signings but that really hasnt been their approach to FA aside from Cousins in the last 10 years.
I disagree. With 3 years left, a neck injury, and making this public, Hunter is negotiating in bad faith. Not a precedent to set. 

Thielen had two years left when we did his redo. Danny is going to have to play a year, then they'll pay him top 3 money.

JMO

Thing is, extending Hunter would almost certainly REDUCE his '21 cap hit. Vikings might want to rollover some space into '22 when Cousins' cap hit goes up another $10M. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Thing is, extending Hunter would almost certainly REDUCE his '21 cap hit. Vikings might want to rollover some space into '22 when Cousins' cap hit goes up another $10M. 
you keep saying that,  maybe it would maybe it wouldnt,  if he is wanting about 10 million a year more than what he is making now I dont know how they show a decrease this year without really fucking a future years ability to work FA or resign our own.  pushing money into the future is a recipe for failure, at some point you just cant push any more down the road and you end up with shit for a year or two.  IMO better to just keep things close to current so you can react to needs as they occur as much as possible.

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
you keep saying that,  maybe it would maybe it wouldnt,  if he is wanting about 10 million a year more than what he is making now I dont know how they show a decrease this year without really fucking a future years ability to work FA or resign our own.  pushing money into the future is a recipe for failure, at some point you just cant push any more down the road and you end up with shit for a year or two.  IMO better to just keep things close to current so you can react to needs as they occur as much as possible.
It's up to the Vikings on how they want to structure it. But it's just how contracts are structured. Damn near all of them. Now, the Vikings may choose '22 to be the low cap year considering that's when Cousins' cap goes up. But this is not Breesy can kicking when you're talking about a 26-year-old player. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
It's up to the Vikings on how they want to structure it. But it's just how contracts are structured. Damn near all of them. Now, the Vikings may choose '22 to be the low cap year considering that's when Cousins' cap goes up. But this is not Breesy can kicking when you're talking about a 26-year-old player. 
its football, the risk is always there with big dollar players,  especially ones coming off a missed season due to injury.  We were told Hughes was going to be fine last year and that lasted how many weeks?  locking in long term with a player in Hunters situation is risky,  they can protect the base salary but that signing bonus is what you are talking about back loading and that is where we could really get hung.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
I disagree. With 3 years left, a neck injury, and making this public, Hunter is negotiating in bad faith. Not a precedent to set. 

Thielen had two years left when we did his redo. Danny is going to have to play a year, then they'll pay him top 3 money.

JMO
I respectfully disagree. The 2 year vs 3 year thing is irrelevant.

Hunter signed his deal and went out and had back to back 14.5 sack seasons.  He earned a raise through his play.

His injury should not be a factor either although it is a concern.

Thielen missed several games after signing his second extension.  Barr just missed most of the season after signing his extension.

The Vikings set the precedent by rewarding Thielen for good play after only two seasons.

If I were running the Vikings, I would give him a 7.5 option bonus (spread over 5 years) that would give him 20.25M in cash this year and only increase his cap hit by 1.5M.

Not sure if they can do it this way but they can give him a bonus and spread out his salary over 5 years by adding two void years.  It can be done.

This way, he gets more money for this year and if he produces another double digit sack season they can give him the massive deal he wants.

20.25M should be good enough for one year so that he is able to prove it.