Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Acceptance
Quote: @"Lee 19" said:
The key to life is acceptance. I have accepted the fact the NFL will cease to exist before the Vikings win the Super Bowl.
Not sure the NFL will cease to exist but I am pretty sure I will.

Quote: @"Lee 19" said:
Not today. But Diggs ain’t going to the Super Bowl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6JZW7zMDfY
So? Is that some form of satisfaction? I'm always happy to cheer for former Vikings players if they make it to the SB. Familiar faces who we saw weekly, enjoying success. I know some people think they are "traitors" or something...crazy.

09 was the team destined for greatness.  Would have no doubt, even with a bruised ankle, would have been a beatdown of Indy.  That defense was on fire and played their asses off two weeks in a row.  Jared, Ray, and Kevin would have made the night hell for Peyton and there was no way does Favre win that battle down in NO to lose in the Super Bowl.  No fucking way.

09 got hamstrung by Chili.  87 was on a roll, they might hav done it.  75... Ugh.  I still remember watching that game.  It was over before the Pearson play when they gave up a 4th and 17.  Stop that and it's on to the cc.  69, my first game.  That was a juggernaut that ran into...Hank Stram?!  Wtf.

Oh well.  Seen em all, watched em fall.  I too practice acceptance..even if your team is winning titles you are gonna lose some and you can't control it either way. 

But the Wilf-era Vikings have morphed into one of those stuck in a rut franchises doing the same thing year after year and having no real chance to ever contend, which to me has become almost as annoying as not having a SB.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
I dont disagree with the sentiment, not after all these decades of rooting for this franchise.

Sadly, only one team gets to gloat at years end. I've also learned along the way to try and enjoy the ride more. 

IMO the best chance Vikings had at a ring was vs Steelers - and that was a long, long time ago now. How many fans left even remember Tulane stadium? Or heard of it? 

Gotta have some luck and fairy dust along the way too. 98/09? Thought one of those teams would come through.

Football gods dont like the Vikings; I still blame Max Winter. Franchise was cursed from day 1. 
I think the two best Viking teams never played in the Super Bowl. '98 Vikings followed by the '75 Vikings, the team that lost to Dallas in the divisional round on Pearson's hail Mary. 

‘87 was a damn good team - the strike team put us in the hole, but the “real” Vikings won every game if I recall.  winning on the road in the playoffs against Saints, then AC blows up the Niners at Candlestick, then the drop on the goal line at Washington.

In terms of scar tissue, I put ‘87 third, after ‘98, and Drew Pearsons push off (Tark’s dad died that day, he found out from a reporter....I cant even imagine the hurt)

Quote: @"Vanguard83" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
I dont disagree with the sentiment, not after all these decades of rooting for this franchise.

Sadly, only one team gets to gloat at years end. I've also learned along the way to try and enjoy the ride more. 

IMO the best chance Vikings had at a ring was vs Steelers - and that was a long, long time ago now. How many fans left even remember Tulane stadium? Or heard of it? 

Gotta have some luck and fairy dust along the way too. 98/09? Thought one of those teams would come through.

Football gods dont like the Vikings; I still blame Max Winter. Franchise was cursed from day 1. 
I think the two best Viking teams never played in the Super Bowl. '98 Vikings followed by the '75 Vikings, the team that lost to Dallas in the divisional round on Pearson's hail Mary. 

‘87 was a damn good team - the strike team put us in the hole, but the “real” Vikings won every game if I recall.  winning on the road in the playoffs against Saints, then AC blows up the Niners at Candlestick, then the drop on the goal line at Washington.

In terms of scar tissue, I put ‘87 third, after ‘98, and Drew Pearsons push off (Tark’s dad died that day, he found out from a reporter....I cant even imagine the hurt)
'87 playoffs was the most fun I've ever had watching football, so even Nelson's drop is cushioned a bit. In terms of "scar tissue" (and that's a good way to put it), I agree, '98 and '75 stand alone. By 2009, I was a man, I was 40, and my fibrosis covered my feels like armor. And the only pain I felt was caused by the 8 Peronis I downed watching the game. 

Good call on that 87 team...

You pull up the team roster on both sides of the ball and it reads like an NFL who's/who. 

They just ran into a juggernaut @ DC vs The Hogs and The Diesel. They almost sent that game into over-time too. Makes me wonder if we win that one if @ Metrodome.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Good call on that 87 team...

You pull up the team roster on both sides of the ball and it reads like an NFL who's/who. 

They just ran into a juggernaut @ DC vs The Hogs and The Diesel. They almost sent that game into over-time too. Makes me wonder if we win that one if @ Metrodome.
The Vikings could never beat Joe Gibbs, or Bill Parcells unfortunately.

I've accepted the fact that it isn't happening in the next 10 years because of Mahomes. I just want to see them get there but 2009 was definitely the year but the best team doesnt always win, especially when the NFL doesnt want you to win