Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inauguration Day
Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
Biden is not a god. He is not a king. He is going ti do things that I disagree with. I will not hold him up as an infallible leader and excuse the things that I don’t agree with. But I do believe that he will be a good president. I think he will listen to the people and I hope he can answer the call from people in rural America as well as Urban America. I believe he will listen to conservatives as well as liberals. 
That is my hope. That he tries to get us to stop fighting and ackowledge there is not a singular way to run a country and that it is ok to disagree on policy but not to demonize the other side. 
That's actually a pretty low bar, Mike. Fairly certain Biden will clear it. Me? My bar is even lower. After the last 4 years, alls I want is a grownup. 

Did that really just happen? 

Was it all just a dream?

As I gathered my family to watch the historic swearing in of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris, the occasion took on a surreal feeling. There were Barack and Michelle Obama, looking like they hadn't aged a day. And there was George W. Bush, elbowing hello to his old friends. And the Clintons, who in some ways, never seem to have left Washington DC.

It was a throwback to an earlier era, an era before "American carnage." Gone was the anger and division. No one suggested America needed to be made great again. The air of fraught anxiety had lifted. Even the US Capitol building didn't show the scars of its insurrection just two weeks ago.
If not for the masks, and the modest number of assembled guests, it could have been a scene from a decade ago.

It was almost as if none of it really happened. Except, of course it did. The last four years have tattooed a trauma on so many Americans, and it won't fade overnight. There's healing to do, and Biden has a long journey ahead. 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/20/opinions/...index.html

Also I have to say Lady Gaga absolutely killed the National Anthem. And I mean that in a good way! Wow. Maybe better than Houston at 2001 Superbowl. 

Also I have to say Lady Gaga absolutely killed the National Anthem. And I mean that in a good way! Wow. Maybe better than Houston at 2001 Superbowl. 
I heard two different reporters say when she gestured to the flag, the sun broke through the clouds, like it was choreographed.  Yeah she did nail it though. 

Well, I'm honestly trying to hope for the best, but...well, neither "main" party has done much to get me thinking that way.

I've heard President Biden call for "unity" over and over, but his party seems to define that as "when you're united to our way of thinking".  While the dnc may get the constant media fluffing (see: the same industry that has been following the Obamas as fashion icons for 4 years), it will be quieter than the ongoing tweet outrages.  No more honest, no more accountable, but quieter.

I'm really wondering: will this be the first time I'm impressed with a Presidential administration and American politics in general, for a very long time?

Will I see them as "Joe and Kam, who came through"...or "the Huffer and the Harlot"?

Time will tell.

Her performance was absolutely phenomenal.

Those mittens, now thats a fashion statement from Vermont.

Biden tells appointees 'I will fire you on the spot' for showing disrespect to colleagues
“I’m not joking when I say this: If you ever work with me and I hear you treat another colleague with disrespect, talk down to someone, I will fire you on the spot. No ifs, ands or buts.”
“Without unity, there is no peace, only bitterness and fury. Politics doesn’t have to be a raging fire, destroying everything in its path. Every disagreement doesn’t have to be a cause for total war.”
“Everybody is entitled to be treated with decency and dignity. That’s been missing in a big way the last four years.” 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Biden tells appointees 'I will fire you on the spot' for showing disrespect to colleagues
“I’m not joking when I say this: If you ever work with me and I hear you treat another colleague with disrespect, talk down to someone, I will fire you on the spot. No ifs, ands or buts.”
“Without unity, there is no peace, only bitterness and fury. Politics doesn’t have to be a raging fire, destroying everything in its path. Every disagreement doesn’t have to be a cause for total war.”
“Everybody is entitled to be treated with decency and dignity. That’s been missing in a big way the last four years.” 

Now that's whats up!