Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Everson endearing himself to Kirk and the Vikings
Quote: @StickyBun said:
@mblack said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
C'mon, big guy, get back on the meds. 
Yep. And honestly, I feel bad for Cousins. The amount of undeserved criticism he receives is crazy...potshots really. A bad look for Griffen.

How did Cousins even become the story? 
Not sure what you mean? Griffen called out Cousins and said he was 'ass'.....then fired off another tweet that said 'Ask Zimmer if he even wanted Kirk'. 
Then sent an apology tweet. This all came out of nowhere as far as I know. Griff must be off his meds as a few posters have said.
There have actually been rumblings from legit sources that Zimmer didn't want Kirk.  He apparently didn't think it was the best idea to sign a QB that was going to consume a large portion of the cap at the expense of improving other positions on the team.

Hard to argue he wasn't right...  Cousins keeps bending us over the barrell with these guaranteed contracts that really limit our cap flexibility.  And his play isn't even good enough to cover the subsequent deficiencies of the team...  so here we sit paying an overrated QB with a young roster and no financial relief in sight.

The fact that Griffen came out with this basically confirms those rumblings.  He could be off his meds, but I doubt he's making the things he said up. 

It’s probably not made up but that should never be said. I bet Zimmer has not wanted a lot of guys, same with Spielman. Cousins is a big name so it gets blown out of proportion. Add Griffen to the list of folks who thinks Cousins is the issue with this team.

We'll there goes any thoughts of EG back here...

Yah, there we're rumblings of Zimmer not wanting Cousins, who knows and does it matter today? 

KC contract (I believe) makes him #12 on the QB paid list now. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

Yah, there we're rumblings of Zimmer not wanting Cousins, who knows and does it matter today? 

Agreed. Any team that signs their QB to their 2nd contract or 3rd is going to pay a lot of money. 

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@StickyBun said:
@mblack said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
Yep. And honestly, I feel bad for Cousins. The amount of undeserved criticism he receives is crazy...potshots really. A bad look for Griffen.

Not sure what you mean? Griffen called out Cousins and said he was 'ass'.....then fired off another tweet that said 'Ask Zimmer if he even wanted Kirk'. 
Then sent an apology tweet. This all came out of nowhere as far as I know. Griff must be off his meds as a few posters have said.
There have actually been rumblings from legit sources that Zimmer didn't want Kirk.  He apparently didn't think it was the best idea to sign a QB that was going to consume a large portion of the cap at the expense of improving other positions on the team.

Hard to argue he wasn't right...  Cousins keeps bending us over the barrell with these guaranteed contracts that really limit our cap flexibility.  And his play isn't even good enough to cover the subsequent deficiencies of the team...  so here we sit paying an overrated QB with a young roster and no financial relief in sight.
I suspect there is some truth to what Griff said, but we have no idea to what degree. It could've been one comment taken out of context. If you go back to when the decision was made, Vikings didn't have a lot of options. And Cousins, the kind of QB who almost never sees the open market, was BY FAR the best.

Think about it, we had the 30th pick in the upcoming draft. We had two QBs whose careers were in jeopardy, neither of whom would've been able to play in 2018, and we had Case Keenum, whom we could've re-signed. But if Zim's opinion on Cousins was cryptic, his low opinion on Keenum was not. 

So while Zim may have had misgivings about spending a bunch of money on a QB, it's not like he was offering other options. What's more, the level to which Cousins contract has (or will) strap us is way overblown. 

At the end of 2021, Cousins will have played 4 seasons for the Vikings. None of which caused an out-of-whack financial hardship for the team. Right now, Vikings QB spending ranks 25th in the NFL. In 2021, they will rank 10th. The only season where we leap above everyone else, and our QB spending becomes out of whack is 2022. But will Cousins even be on the same contract then? 

Where he stands on the money list has no bearing on his hes over paid or not.  Lots of QBs are over paid for what they put on the field.  Kirk is a damn fine passer,  but as a QB he leaves a bit to be desired. 

Just because many teams don't have that guy that will elevate those around him it doesn't justify overpaying for performance,  really should go for any position. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:

Where he stands on the money list has no bearing on his hes over paid or not.  Lots of QBs are over paid for what they put on the field.  Kirk is a damn fine passer,  but as a QB he leaves a bit to be desired. 

Just because many teams don't have that guy that will elevate those around him it doesn't justify overpaying for performance,  really should go for any position. 
I'm perfectly fine going into next year with KC @ QB. Lots more questions on OC vs QB. 

That said, I've been pretty dang vocal about drafting a QB - if they have conviction for one of young guns. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:

I'm perfectly fine going into next year with KC @ QB. Lots more questions on OC vs QB. 

That said, I've been pretty dang vocal about drafting a QB - if they have conviction for one of young guns. 
That's where I'm at: if they really like one of these QBs and they can either draft one OR make a slight move up to get one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg compensation-wise, than do it. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@StickyBun said:
@mblack said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:

I suspect there is some truth to what Griff said, but we have no idea to what degree. It could've been one comment taken out of context. If you go back to when the decision was made, Vikings didn't have a lot of options. And Cousins, the kind of QB who almost never sees the open market, was BY FAR the best.

Think about it, we had the 30th pick in the upcoming draft. We had two QBs whose careers were in jeopardy, neither of whom would've been able to play in 2018, and we had Case Keenum, whom we could've re-signed. But if Zim's opinion on Cousins was cryptic, his low opinion on Keenum was not. 

So while Zim may have had misgivings about spending a bunch of money on a QB, it's not like he was offering other options. What's more, the level to which Cousins contract has (or will) strap us is way overblown. 

At the end of 2021, Cousins will have played 4 seasons for the Vikings. None of which caused an out-of-whack financial hardship for the team. Right now, Vikings QB spending ranks 25th in the NFL. In 2021, they will rank 10th. The only season where we leap above everyone else, and our QB spending becomes out of whack is 2022. But will Cousins even be on the same contract then? 

I agree. There is also some truth to what Diggs said. Zimmer wants nothing to do with qbs since Bridgewater. And it was a lot of money that would have a huge impact. There are ongoing issues that Zimmer is having. We'll see what happens with the next OC.