Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins tds
Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Elway was panned for a long time, before he won the biggie...He wasn't good enough to do it on his own, it happened when there was a great surround for him. 

It's a familiar tale - I hope KC's story here ends in a nice way too. 
You can say that about a lot of QB's.  Davis won Elway his SB's.  If memory serves me correctly in the Elway helicopter run game he threw for less then 140 yards and Davis carried them big time.  (edit and add Peyton....he needed that Denver D to win his because he did not have a very good year, playoffs or SB)

I attribute Favre's only SB to the play and signing of Reggie White.  That man was a beast. 

Then you go down the list of other QB's like Dilfer, Hostetler, Foles, etc.

I think like many on here - Cousins is good enough to win us a SB with "all" other pieces in place.  He needs a very clean pocket because his clock sucks compared to other immobile QB's.  He needs a much better line, quicker reads, a faster delivery but he is money when given time and good enough to win - IMO.

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Elway was panned for a long time, before he won the biggie...He wasn't good enough to do it on his own, it happened when there was a great surround for him. 

It's a familiar tale - I hope KC's story here ends in a nice way too. 
You can say that about a lot of QB's.  Davis won Elway his SB's.  If memory serves me correctly in the Elway helicopter run game he threw for less then 140 yards and Davis carried them big time.  (edit and add Peyton....he needed that Denver D to win his because he did not have a very good year, playoffs or SB)

Agreed about that awesome Broncos defense but Manning also beat the Bears in the Super Bowl years earlier too, remember. Pretty sure Hester returned the opening kickoff and then after that it was all Colts. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
Kirk is a good QB who put up good stats this year. And last year. And the year before that. I don't think anyone can say otherwise.
That said, if the Vikings are in position to take a QB with the potential to be great, I'd welcome them taking that shot.
If the Vikings can pull together a package that gets them Lawrence or Wilson, I would not be opposed to that. But outside of those two, I don't see a QB in the draft who would be an obvious upgrade from Cousins...and certainly not for several years. I think the best thing for the Vikings is to continue building around Cousins. Give him better protection and some defense. This team should be pretty good next year.

Agree 100% with all of this.
My problem with this organization is where do we go from there? Let's say we actually are "pretty good" next year. The following season, will we take the next step? I want to believe, but Zim's entire tenure tells me we won't. It's a fine line between being a good fan and believing, versus blind optimism in the face of mounting evidence. Skol always and I want to be a good fan, but I'm jaded.

I would say "pretty good" is where ya wanna be. It's certainly where ya gotta start.

The way I see it, getting past that, winning in the playoffs, winning a Super Bowl, is all about staying healthy and getting big games at key moments from your game changers. It's easiest if your game changer is the QB (Mahomes, Brady), but it doesn't have to be (Foles, Von Miller). 

The question is...can Kirk Cousins win a Super Bowl? Yeah, I think so. Hell, if Nick Foles can, he can. Can Zimmer put together a game plan to win an NFCC? A Super Bowl? Yeah, I think so.

Do I trust him to? Next question. 

I will say that I think we're more likely to get there with him than without him.

WITH Zimmer we're going to be pretty good next year. Great, now let's get lucky, healthy and get a big game from a superstar. We have no shortage of options: Jefferson, Thielen, Cook, Hunter, Kendricks...

WITHOUT Zimmer, no guarantee it's not the next Les Steckel. Or he could be awesome...like the guy everyone wanted last year: Kyle Shanahan. Or the guy everyone wanted the year before: Doug Pederson. Just sayin...

Makes me think of this...(Ummmmm...don't image search "this years model" in front of your wives and girlfriends.)

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimg.discogs.com%2FcqMly...f=1&nofb=1]

Again I agree with everything you’re saying. It’s sensible.... But after years of watching this team make “the safe play” (hiring Frazier, building around AP, sticking with Zim), I’m ready for a shot in the arm. Whether that’s a new coach or a new QB or both, I’d welcome it. 

Bradford was a risk that didn’t pay off. Kirk was a risk-lite that’s TBD. Favre was a huge risk that gave us the most fun Vikings season since ‘98. That’s the adrenaline rush I’m chasing. It’s been over a decade now since ‘09. A LOT of franchise QBs and coaches have been taken by other teams in that timespan. It’s not like they aren’t out there. To use a baseball analogy, IMO the time is ripe for the Vikings to swing for the fences, rather than continue trying to manufacture runs. 

Cousins isn't the problem on the team.

Quote: @"JR44" said:
@"Zanary" said:
His hater club will hiss about all the scores and yards somehow being "garbage time".

It's really freakish to watch their babble all over social media.
Well he just had 405 yards and 3 TD in a game that meant nothing against a losing team and 6 of his 35 were against the Lions so it is a debatable argument.  Kirk does what he does best, put up stats when the game is out of reach or doesn't matter.  In the two biggest drives of the year in which we could have gone down for the winning scores which would have put us in the playoffs, we went 3 and out.  Another year of great stats yet falling apart against good teams. 
I don't think I've ever seen a QB do that well behind the worst starting OG in the league, and dealing with both awful Special Teams blunders and a defense determined to piss away 30+ points per game.

Cousins got us into late leads pretty regularly, and our defense would hand the lead right back.

Quote: @"Zanary" said:
@"JR44" said:
@"Zanary" said:
His hater club will hiss about all the scores and yards somehow being "garbage time".

It's really freakish to watch their babble all over social media.
Well he just had 405 yards and 3 TD in a game that meant nothing against a losing team and 6 of his 35 were against the Lions so it is a debatable argument.  Kirk does what he does best, put up stats when the game is out of reach or doesn't matter.  In the two biggest drives of the year in which we could have gone down for the winning scores which would have put us in the playoffs, we went 3 and out.  Another year of great stats yet falling apart against good teams. 
I don't think I've ever seen a QB do that well behind the worst starting OG in the league, and dealing with both awful Special Teams blunders and a defense determined to piss away 30+ points per game.

Cousins got us into late leads pretty regularly, and our defense would hand the lead right back.
Dozier looked really awful again yesterday. I specifically focused on him much of the game. I must have been feeling masochistic. 

Looking at both the Vikings and Lions D? Betting the over was the way to go - and paid off nicely too.