Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teddy Bridgewater and the QB domino effect
Torturing logic and reality because... Teddy!   A mediocrity for the mediocre team with the mediocre coach and g.m.  I guess he'd fit right in.  It's so very Minnesota sports fan.

Quote: @"medaille" said:

I think Cousins had a pretty good year, but he’s not good
enough to carry a team.

You need to draft guys who have elite potential until one of
them hits.  Hitching our wagon to Cousins
and then never drafting a QB is beyond stupid. 
Cousins is a placeholder until you find the real QB.

I don’t think there’s a marked difference in terms of
contribution to winning between a Cousins and a Bridgewater.  The gap is certainly much larger between either
of them and an actual elite QB.

This 1000%.
The QB position is different and needs to be evaluated differently. IMO it's better to think of QBs like you would think of NBA stars, than you would NFL players.
If you don't have Lebron James, Steph Curry, Kevin Durant, then it doesn't really matter if you have Karl Anthony Towns or some bum. You gotta try to find THE Guy if you wanna win championships. Then you build the entire team and organization around him. Not the other way around.
The odds of winning a Super Bowl are greatly improved if you have a HOF QB. If you don't have one-- try to find one.

Quote: @"Carl Knowles" said:
Before the trade deadline in early November, I was one of the first to project Zach Wilson as a first round pick. I also talked about a three way trade between Carolina, 49ers and the Vikings that would net the Vikings a second round pick for Cousins and open the door for Teddy Bridgewater to return to Minnesota. Yes, I was mocked then but my how things have changed over the last two months

Tankathon is currently projecting Zach Wilson at #9 to the Carolina Panthers and the Vikings just miss landing Trey Lance by one pick in the first round. The 49ers also are projected to miss out on a first round QB, so at pick 46, Kyle Trask is the projected pick for the 49ers,.. or they could trade that pick for a veteran QB like Matt Ryan, Mathew Stafford or Kirk Cousins. Kyle Shanahan needs to turn the 49ers fortunes around quickly, and I think he goes in the veteran direction.

If the Vikings trade Cousins for pick #46, could Teddy come back to Minnesota for a mere third or forth round pick? 

Tim Weaver thinks a game manager like Teddy is not the answer in Carolina.

https://sports.yahoo.com/2-pff-stats-exp...01526.html

Dude, I'm the biggest Teddy fan in the world, but I believed then and I believe now that Cousins is the better QB. 

Point is moot anyway, no team could afford the contract of both QBs. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Why are we trading Cousins? He's 8th in TD passes in an offense that runs the 4th most. He's 6th all time in QBr. He owns the longest current streak of 25+ TD seasons. This thought that we are going to draft the next Mahomes is lunacy. 

I really don't understand this fan base. 
Kirk has all the talent in the world and he puts up great stats, but the one thing he doesn't put up is wins.  We had one of the best offenses in the league this year and our defense severely held us back, but there have been many Viking teams with really bad defenses that went on to the playoffs, because of exceptional offenses that knew how to win football teams.  Kirk had a great statistical season, but he gave away games early in the season that put us in a hole and during the stretch run he had two chances to take this team down for a winning or tying score with plenty of time on the clock and couldn't get a first down.  Those two drives put us in the playoffs.  Not sure how you can look at his record against winning teams or in prime time and think he is the answer.  If you want 2 more seasons of great performances against the Lions followed by wilting against the better teams then he is your QB. 

Here is the deal with Cousins.  He will be 33 years old next season.  Unless there is another restructure or extension, he is basically under contract for one more season.  None of his salary is guaranteed for the 2022 season and if the Vikings released him it would give them 35 million dollars in cap space. The smart move would be to draft our QBOTF this year, let them sit and learn for a season to be ready to go in 2022. I'm a big Trey Lance fan and to me that is someone that makes sense all the way around. 

Ah yes, in the ultimate team sport, wins and losses fall squarely on the shoulders of the QB.

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
Here is the deal with Cousins.  He will be 33 years old next season.  Unless there is another restructure or extension, he is basically under contract for one more season.  None of his salary is guaranteed for the 2022 season and if the Vikings released him it would give them 35 million dollars in cap space. The smart move would be to draft our QBOTF this year, let them sit and learn for a season to be ready to go in 2022. I'm a big Trey Lance fan and to me that is someone that makes sense all the way around. 
But there is a clause in Kirk's contract which makes your statement about him in 2022 wrong: "2022 salary fully guarantees on the 3rd league day of 2021." So unless you cut him before the 2021 league season starts (April 17 2021), both his 2021 AND 2022 contracts are fully guaranteed. It's like a poison pill in his deal: we are either fully committed for the next 2 seasons or we cut him now. 

This means there is a chance we have seen the last Cousins pass as a Viking, if they sit him against Detroit. I expect Spielman wants to play him for the next 2 years, but the Wilfs may have a say in the matter.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
But there is a clause in Kirk's contract which makes your statement about him in 2022 wrong: "2022 salary fully guarantees on the 3rd league day of 2021." So unless you cut him before the 2021 league season starts (April 17 2021), both his 2021 AND 2022 contracts are fully guaranteed. It's like a poison pill in his deal: we are either fully committed for the next 2 seasons or we cut him now. 

This means there is a chance we have seen the last Cousins pass as a Viking, if they sit him against Detroit. I expect Spielman wants to play him for the next 2 years, but the Wilfs may have a say in the matter.
@Jor-El  AGREE!
I believe his salary is 45M for 2022... (35M plus a 10M signing bonus). Crazy Big Money! That is a lot of money for a team that is struggling to even compete for a wild card. If they cut him this offseason... yes they eat a lot of guaranteed money over next season and a little in 2022, but the Vikings stop the bleeding with the Cousins spending spree.

IMO a trade would be the better scenario for both Cousins and the Vikings.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
The road to a SB win is almost always going through an elite,
HOF caliber QB.  If you don’t have one,
your primary goal is finding the next one. 
Your secondary goal is to do as well as you can with the QB you’ve got and hope you get lucky and all the stars align for your team.

I think Cousins had a pretty good year, but he’s not good
enough to carry a team.

You need to draft guys who have elite potential until one of
them hits.  Hitching our wagon to Cousins
and then never drafting a QB is beyond stupid. 
Cousins is a placeholder until you find the real QB.

I don’t think there’s a marked difference in terms of
contribution to winning between a Cousins and a Bridgewater.  The gap is certainly much larger between either
of them and an actual elite QB.  I would
have preferred Bridgewater at $20M over Cousins at $30M as a placeholder QB,
but I can’t imagine there’s any financial advantage to switching now.  Both Cousins and Bridgewater would be fine
QBs at the helm of a perfectly rostered team, but that’s not what we have and
we’re not likely to have it in 2021 either. 
Hopefully, if we’re able to put a functioning defense on the field, we
should be back to playoff football, but we’ll need to make sure we don’t
regress on OLine in the process, which is a pretty big question mark given
Reiff’s contract.
Cant' remember who said it, but a great quarterback wins games, but a great defense wins championships...

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"supafreak84" said:

I was unaware of that clause, that certainly muddles the waters even more.  I wouldn't expect them to cut Cousins before the next league year but damn...that's a lot of money for a guy who isn't one of the top 10 QB's in the league