Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teddy Bridgewater and the QB domino effect
Before the trade deadline in early November, I was one of the first to project Zach Wilson as a first round pick. I also talked about a three way trade between Carolina, 49ers and the Vikings that would net the Vikings a second round pick for Cousins and open the door for Teddy Bridgewater to return to Minnesota. Yes, I was mocked then but my how things have changed over the last two months

Tankathon is currently projecting Zach Wilson at #9 to the Carolina Panthers and the Vikings just miss landing Trey Lance by one pick in the first round. The 49ers also are projected to miss out on a first round QB, so at pick 46, Kyle Trask is the projected pick for the 49ers,.. or they could trade that pick for a veteran QB like Matt Ryan, Mathew Stafford or Kirk Cousins. Kyle Shanahan needs to turn the 49ers fortunes around quickly, and I think he goes in the veteran direction.

If the Vikings trade Cousins for pick #46, could Teddy come back to Minnesota for a mere third or forth round pick? 

Tim Weaver thinks a game manager like Teddy is not the answer in Carolina.

https://sports.yahoo.com/2-pff-stats-exp...01526.html

Honestly, Teddy isn't the answer anywhere. He's limited. If you are telling me I can only have either Cousins or Bridgewater, I'll take Cousins every time.

I loved Teddy,  but no.  If we Trade Cousins for pick 46 then we use 46 and next years first if necessary to move up and take Wilson,  or use our first and a couple of those 3s and 4s to take Lance to sit behind Cousins and learn while we watch 2 more years of cap helll football.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Honestly, Teddy isn't the answer anywhere. He's limited. If you are telling me I can only have either Cousins or Bridgewater, I'll take Cousins every time.
I like hearing your support for Cousins over Teddy... that attitude and support from Vikings fans has been "lacking" IMO over the last two years.

It's not just about Cousins or Bridgewater. If a QB like Wilson or Lance doesn't fall to the Vikings in the 1st round, then what? Reach for Kyle Trask? Draft a QB in round 3 or 4 to groom behind Cousins? 

Would you take a second round pick for Cousins before the draft, and attempt to trade up for a QB on draft day?

Just curious as to how the QB dominos effect will fall and if it will involve the Vikings.

Quote: @"Carl Knowles" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
I like hearing your support for Cousins over Teddy... that attitude and support from Vikings fans has been "lacking" IMO over the last two years.

It's not just about Cousins or Bridgewater. If a QB like Wilson or Lance doesn't fall to the Vikings in the 1st round, then what? Reach for Kyle Trask? Draft a QB in round 3 or 4 to groom behind Cousins? 

Would you take a second round pick for Cousins before the draft, and attempt to trade up for a QB on draft day?

Just curious as to how the QB dominos effect will fall and if it will involve the Vikings.

I just don't see anyone (including San Fran) trading for Kirk Cousins. Its not a realistic scenario that I'm entertaining personally. I think now that the QB dominos are going to fall and Minnesota will not be a player in that game. Take a swing at a 3rd round QB? That's possible depending who it is. I agree with you on Trask, he's not going to be a good pro. I think its possible Trey Lance could still be there at #10 in round 1, so would the Vikings try and move up? Do they even like the kid enough to do it, that's the other thing. We have no idea what the Viking's war room thinks about the pecking order of the QBs. The #11-#14 spot in round 1 just reeks of BPA to me. But if its a corner, I'm seriously going to lose it. 

Why are we trading Cousins? He's 8th in TD passes in an offense that runs the 4th most. He's 6th all time in QBr. He owns the longest current streak of 25+ TD seasons. This thought that we are going to draft the next Mahomes is lunacy. 

I really don't understand this fan base. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Why are we trading Cousins? He's 8th in TD passes in an offense that runs the 4th most. He's 6th all time in QBr. He owns the longest current streak of 25+ TD seasons. This thought that we are going to draft the next Mahomes is lunacy. 

I really don't understand this fan base. 
I agree...KC is our best QB since Bert.

That said, I want to draft one of the young guns this year ---- if they have strong conviction for one. 

KC just needs what the Vikings are forever incapable of - a competent offensive line.

Plus he's like that little girl who had a curl. You know? When she was bad, she was horrid. 

If a top QB prospect falls to them in the first, then I'd like the pick.  This team has so many holes now on defense and still the OLine, they can't really rule out any position.  Although getting TB and getting rid of Cousins huge contract would be interesting.  The Vikings are in rebuild mode, and with or without Cousins, I see maybe an 8-8 team at best next season.  I wouldn't care if Cousins was moved as part of a rebuild, and we retooled with a less expensive TB running the offense until a young replacement QB is ready.  I'm just not sure if that rookie QB will be drafted this year or next. 

I certainly don't see Cousins leading the Viking as part of the rebuild.  His monster contract is a major part of the problem.

The road to a SB win is almost always going through an elite,
HOF caliber QB.  If you don’t have one,
your primary goal is finding the next one. 
Your secondary goal is to do as well as you can with the QB you’ve got and hope you get lucky and all the stars align for your team.

I think Cousins had a pretty good year, but he’s not good
enough to carry a team.

You need to draft guys who have elite potential until one of
them hits.  Hitching our wagon to Cousins
and then never drafting a QB is beyond stupid. 
Cousins is a placeholder until you find the real QB.

I don’t think there’s a marked difference in terms of
contribution to winning between a Cousins and a Bridgewater.  The gap is certainly much larger between either
of them and an actual elite QB.  I would
have preferred Bridgewater at $20M over Cousins at $30M as a placeholder QB,
but I can’t imagine there’s any financial advantage to switching now.  Both Cousins and Bridgewater would be fine
QBs at the helm of a perfectly rostered team, but that’s not what we have and
we’re not likely to have it in 2021 either. 
Hopefully, if we’re able to put a functioning defense on the field, we
should be back to playoff football, but we’ll need to make sure we don’t
regress on OLine in the process, which is a pretty big question mark given
Reiff’s contract.

Well, Teddy just set his career high with 15 TD passes this season. Has 1 for the month of December. Yeah, that will inspire the fan base.