Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grills and Smokers
Quote: @"Viking Bob" said:
Whatever Jimmy and Mike used last year for the BBQ worked great,  MAN that was some incredible Food!!!
we used 3 drum smokers.

Are we doing a TC thing this year again?

Quote: @Max said:
@Mike Olson said:
@Max said:
Call me a snob, but I like having a sturdy, solid grill/smoker. The UDS-style is awesome, especially for portability. I wanted to go wood-pellet for this one. I'll eventually build a UDS, but today is not that day. :-)
Oh I hear you. I was finishing up the purchase of a primo XL two weekends ago but I got pissed at the salesman taking too much time and I walked out. 
Where were you looking? I had the same experience at Warners Stellian when I bought my Primo XL.
HAHAHAHAHAHA  Yep you nailed it. Warners Stellian. 

Quote: @Max said:
Are we doing a TC thing this year again?
hoping to,  I know Papa and Zerker already have camping spots.  SkolVike was looking into it.  I started to look at hotels and then life got in the way so I havent booked anything yet,  but they were filling up fast so I will make it if I can.   Tom and Mike for sure, but other than that I am not sure who else will be there.  I have heard that BadgerVike will be attending.

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
@Max said:
@Mike Olson said:
@Max said:
Call me a snob, but I like having a sturdy, solid grill/smoker. The UDS-style is awesome, especially for portability. I wanted to go wood-pellet for this one. I'll eventually build a UDS, but today is not that day. :-)
Oh I hear you. I was finishing up the purchase of a primo XL two weekends ago but I got pissed at the salesman taking too much time and I walked out. 
Where were you looking? I had the same experience at Warners Stellian when I bought my Primo XL.
HAHAHAHAHAHA  Yep you nailed it. Warners Stellian. 
No joke. It took me two hours to buy it. I literally walked in, said "I want to purchase the Primo XL with these accessories"; it was over an hour and forty-five minutes later that I was able to take my pregnant wife to a late lunch. Are you in the cities? Have you been to Quetopia? That place is great.

I just built my own.  It's a reverse flow wood burner made out of a 500 gallon propane tank for the cooking chamber and a 120 gallon tank for the firebox.

[Image: 5ifkVA1l.jpg]
[Image: i3c886jl.jpg]
[Image: hPF8m22l.jpg]

Quote: @BsuZagVike said:
I just built my own.  It's a reverse flow wood burner made out of a 500 gallon propane tank for the cooking chamber and a 120 gallon tank for the firebox.

[Image: 5ifkVA1l.jpg]
[Image: i3c886jl.jpg]
[Image: hPF8m22l.jpg]
nice work!  i have plans for my own portable unit down the road... it will start with a horse trailer,  or possibly a toy hauler/camper.   

Mike and Jimmy... what plans did y'all use for your UDS? I am looking to build one after the madness of Moondance Jam and Training camp, and have seen about 80 plans... just curious which ones you followed.

Quote: @Al (The Lochstar) Heurung said:
Mike and Jimmy... what plans did y'all use for your UDS? I am looking to build one after the madness of Moondance Jam and Training camp, and have seen about 80 plans... just curious which ones you followed.
my own.  a drum is a drum is a drum.  only so much you can do with one.  there is the worlds biggest internet thread on bbq brethren for you to read if you really want to learn the zen of the uds.

start with this one and I will see if I can find the big one.  http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showth...hp?t=43943

EDIT:  here is the big one,  851 pages and nearly 13,000 comments.    http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showth...hp?t=23436

let me know when you get through it if you have any questions.  :p

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Al (The Lochstar) Heurung said:
my own.  a drum is a drum is a drum.  only so much you can do with one.  there is the worlds biggest internet thread on bbq brethren for you to read if you really want to learn the zen of the uds.

start with this one and I will see if I can find the big one.  http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showth...hp?t=43943

EDIT:  here is the big one,  851 pages and nearly 13,000 comments.    http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showth...hp?t=23436

let me know when you get through it if you have any questions.  :p
Haha thanks Jimmy. I'd actually read through most of the big one, that's where I saw all these plans and ins and outs. Was more curious as to what you have found works best for various parts... intakes, baskets etc.