Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grills and Smokers
Right now I have a Primo XL and a Weber Genesis E-310. The Genesis is great for grilling, and the Primo is amazing for smoke BBQ and high heat, as long as you're cooking less than 10-12 hours at a time. It's too hard to add fuel and maintain temp/humidity if you burn through your lump.

So, after lots of research (and being very tempted by Costco's screaming deal on the Louisiana Grill Champion... specially made for Costco), I've purchased the Yoder YS640. Pellet grill/smoker with a 20# hopper. This thing is a solid beast. The cooking chamber uses metal over 1/4" thick. The only downside? They are back-ordered until September. It's killing me.

I once did a 29 hour smoke on my UDS on one bag of kingsford blue without adding anything to the coal basket. No lie. Only thing I added was more meat. 

It cost me 100bucks to build though I could have done it much cheaper. 

[Image: ysirimqhuh0b.jpg][Image: 207ocf42mlfo.jpg]

Coal basket on left. Drum in center. This was way back when I was living in a crappy little house in saint paul with a bunch of room mates. 

Call me a snob, but I like having a sturdy, solid grill/smoker. The UDS-style is awesome, especially for portability. I wanted to go wood-pellet for this one. I'll eventually build a UDS, but today is not that day. :-)

Quote: @"Max" said:
Call me a snob, but I like having a sturdy, solid grill/smoker. The UDS-style is awesome, especially for portability. I wanted to go wood-pellet for this one. I'll eventually build a UDS, but today is not that day. :-)
Oh I hear you. I was finishing up the purchase of a primo XL two weekends ago but I got pissed at the salesman taking too much time and I walked out. 

This is awesome Big Grin
Quote: @"Ralphie" said:

once i get a little free time I am going to build an actual smoke house.  It wont be a huge commercial unit, but it will be able to handle temps up to about 300 and will hold quite a bit of meat,  I am speculating 15 briskets,  or 30 pork butts or chickens, but the real reason I am building it is I have gotten into making sausage,  the brats and breakfast links have been amazing,  but now I want to get into the smoked stuff like pepper sticks, ring bologna, polish, summer, and what ever else I can muster up the time to do.  

it will fully insulated and be gas powered to start with, but it will have some flexibility built into it to add an external fire box later if I want to make it wood fired.  

I am thinking about internal dimensions of 36" wide x 30" deep x 7' tall with a peaked roof above that.  It will have 5 racks approx 8" apart so it will hold some Q.  I will also be using a minnesota made product for my cooler smoker production.  They are called AmazeN products that make nice pellet powered smoke.

Whatever Jimmy and Mike used last year for the BBQ worked great,  MAN that was some incredible Food!!!

Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
@"Max" said:
Oh I hear you. I was finishing up the purchase of a primo XL two weekends ago but I got pissed at the salesman taking too much time and I walked out. 
Where were you looking? I had the same experience at Warners Stellian when I bought my Primo XL.