Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
They look like shit
Did anyone really think that the curse was lifted?

Quote: @"greediron" said:
Block and tackle?

[Image: 200px-Block-and-tackle-in-use.svg.png]

Or a pulley?

Yes they did look like shit.  BUT! 

My hand is raised and it will stay there until the Vikings are eliminated from the playoffs.  Even a 0.01% chance is still a chance in football.  Have they looked good this preseason?  Definitely not the starters... but the team has.  Have we seen a complete game from our starters?  Would you expect our offense to show everything during the preseason?  I think we will see the starters execute a more aggressive game plan come September. 

It will all come down to our line.... just as it has in the past.  If they can keep the QB upright the Vikings have a good chance to make the playoffs.  If they can't.... long season ahead. 

I'll say this: I know Z is pissed about the play of the team, but if he plays any starters tomorrow, he's an idiot. 

I still think they'll win the Super Bowl. It's preseason. It literally doesn't matter. It's glorified practice, and unless we know exactly what the coaches' intentions were, it is impossible to see what any of it means.

I have zero inside sources in the NFL right now, but I do have some friends who played(started, had longer careers) in the NFL and they have told me the preseason is not at all indicative of anything. For example, one defender I know said the coaches would routinely call out the wrong defensive sets/personnel just to see how players would react being out of position, or to make a point.

Quote: @"Max" said:
I still think they'll win the Super Bowl. It's preseason. It literally doesn't matter. It's glorified practice, and unless we know exactly what the coaches' intentions were, it is impossible to see what any of it means.

I have zero inside sources in the NFL right now, but I do have some friends who played(started, had longer careers) in the NFL and they have told me the preseason is not at all indicative of anything. For example, one defender I know said the coaches would routinely call out the wrong defensive sets/personnel just to see how players would react being out of position, or to make a point.
and we have the 4-0 preseason Lions a few years back.... anybody remember how that ended?  it sure as hell wasnt a superbowl.

what about the 16-0 patriots a few years back, i think i heard they  went 0-4 that preseason.

Detroit one year went 4-0 in preseason and turned around and went 0-16 through the regular season...

People forget...pre-season is to evaluate players, test schemes and establish rhythm on both sides of the ball, not blow up the scoreboard.

A lot of you defending the team are attacking a straw man that isn't here. Responses about the 4-0 Lions or 0-4 Patriots would be fine - IF everyone unhappy was saying things like, "Why aren't we 3-0 in the preseason?? How can we be only 2-1??" No one is complaining about the preseason record, or the scoreboard. We're concerned because the first-team players are missing blocks and tackles and playing without any apparent sense of urgency.

So maybe that 16-0 Pats team didn't win all the preseason games - but did their starting units look like they knew their jobs and give at least a few series of competent play? Were they trying to plug 3 new starters into a critical unit and needing to build some game cohesion? 

Quote: @"ArizonaViking" said:
People forget...pre-season is to evaluate players, test schemes and establish rhythm on both sides of the ball, not blow up the scoreboard.
I think its the apparent lack of rhythm on  either side of the ball that has people concerned more than the outcomes of the games.  I wish I knew what our defense was working on or trying to implement, because I see a mess over there right now and that is my primary concern.  Sam will learn to trust his OL and will take more shots down field when the risk is worth the reward,  but our D playing this poorly is a point of concern for me as some of the basics seem to be lacking like decent tackling.