Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OK--so NOW who do you cut?
Quote: @greediron said:
Lol, I wouldn't be cutting solid o-line right now.  They might not be all-pro, but after last year, lets take a breath and keep healthy O-line.

Agree on adams vs Coley.  Coley has shown promise. 
Agree. I can't believe after last year that anyone would want to cut OL. I would agree with anyone who says that our best OL seems to be when Easton and Elflein are in together, so I have no problem putting Boone on the bench, but at the very least he's valuable, experienced depth. Boone will almost certainly be gone after this season, so for now, if this team can render Berger and him "depth," then the line has a nice chance to start developing continuity for the players who will be the starting 5 for the next few years. I would also be on the lookout for a Hill-like, developmental tackle that some team is trying to sneak onto its practice squad. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:
Lol, I wouldn't be cutting solid o-line right now.  They might not be all-pro, but after last year, lets take a breath and keep healthy O-line.

Agree on adams vs Coley.  Coley has shown promise. 
Agree. I can't believe after last year that anyone would want to cut OL. I would agree with anyone who says that our best OL seems to be when Easton and Elflein are in together, so I have no problem putting Boone on the bench, but at the very least he's valuable, experienced depth. Boone will almost certainly be gone after this season, so for now, if this team can render Berger and him "depth," then the line has a nice chance to start developing continuity for the players who will be the starting 5 for the next few years. I would also be on the lookout for a Hill-like, developmental tackle that some team is trying to sneak onto its practice squad. 
my thoughts as well,  I am all for shuffling the starters and sending them out for at least 2 drives on thursday night.  set Berger, Boone, and maybe Remmers on the bench and start putting something together for the future.

Agreed Jimmy and MB.  With Reiff not having much time with this group, I certainly hope they get some game time this week.  Hill is intriguing, but I want to think he needs a year.  Solid pass blocker, but to me he is great depth and future. 

And yes, Easton and Elflein seem to work very well together.  Wonder how it will go for Elflein once the regular season starts and he sees the increase in blitzes?  But I am all for growing a young line with solid starters such as Easton and Elflein.  Isadora is maybe a year away?

Really wouldn't be in any hurry to cut anyone. It's nice to have some youth and some healthy players at least. Lets see how things play out. Rashod Hill has done a nice job for us this year.
Zac Kerin has had a decent camp but really no place for him. Sirles is better suited for guard but they keep playing him at tackle.
Myself I would have like to put a player in the best position he is suited for, and leave him there instead of constantly moving players around. I'm not a big believer in Sparano,but I hope he proves me wrong.

Quote: @pumpf said:
I'd cut Boone.  If he's better than Easton, it's not by much.  And it would save us a ton of money.

I would also cut Berger for the same reason.

good thoughts here.  i especially like the Sirles/Isadora idea.  i would suggest a good long look at that on Thursday.  Berger has done everything asked of him but resting him may not be a bad idea. 

Didn't the Vikings talk Berger into coming back one more year?  It would be incredibly heartless and tacky to just cut the guy.  Nevertheless, they can see what is happening, he is losing ground and some of the younger players deserve a shot.

The real question I have is at DT and LB.  Who do you bother to even save?  Kendricks and Barr for sure, Gedeon too, not sure about anyone else.  J Johnson is a keeper and possible starter but who do we keep of Jones, T Johnson and Sutton?  We can't cut them all although I would like to.

When the one and only cut down to 53 happens I think there are going to be players on this team that aren't on it right now. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Boone cut, or at least demoted to a backup. I think we're going to be scouring through that mass of free agent humanity with a fine-toothed comb for OL and DB, for sure, perhaps even LB.

Kai Forbath,  unlike most people I can deal with a miss here and there from a kicker, what i cant understand is the willingness to go with a guy that has a noodle leg.  Kai did an ok job last year,  but he was never really asked to do much and for a team that struggles to score points we need a kicker that can extend that scoring zone beyond the 30-35 yard line which is essentially the limits of Forbaths leg.  another 10-15 yards is huge in terms of field goal range and the extra boom on kick offs can pay huge dividends,  especially outside in chicago and gbay.

Agreed Jimmy.  He also missed a PAT and bounced another through IIRC.  So he wasn't rock solid and always scares me on kickoffs.