Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So how do we trade up?
Quote: @medaille said:

There’s a fair number of quality QBs drafted 10th
or later.

Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, Wilson, Rodgers, Brees

These guys come to mind immediately.  I think it’s more about taking a shot on a
guy when you have a chance, than it is about blowing your load for the guys at
the top of the draft rankings on the one year you NEED a qb.  The chance of drafting
a SB caliber QB is not good regardless of where they are drafted, you just have
to be prepared to be persistent.

That said, the Chiefs saw their opportunity and traded from
27th to 10th to get Mahomes, and they gave up a 3rd
and next years 1st, which was clearly worth it.
honestly this is the model I want the Vikings to Emulate.  there is always a guy who will fall for some reason like Mahommes and Watson.  

Remember the Chiefs had Kirk Cousins only his name was Alex Smith.  They moved up when they saw thier guy fall and didnt even start Mahommes the next year then traded Smith. Target a guy and move up for him.  Keep cousins to start the next year then trade him.

The Chiefs gave up a lot and not one Chiefs fan thinks they should have kept those picks.

[Image: Ricky_Ditka_ESPN_the_Magazine.jpg]

Beware.........Don't let THIS happen to you

BTW we talk about mortgaging the future by giving away so many picks.  The reality is in this league if you do not have a young mobile accurate QB you dont have much of a future in the modern NFL.

Quote: @PSBLAKE said:
@medaille said:

or later.

These guys come to mind immediately.  I think it’s more about taking a shot on a
the top of the draft rankings on the one year you NEED a qb.  The chance of drafting

honestly this is the model I want the Vikings to Emulate.  there is always a guy who will fall for some reason like Mahommes and Watson.  

Remember the Chiefs had Kirk Cousins only his name was Alex Smith.  They moved up when they saw thier guy fall and didnt even start Mahommes the next year then traded Smith. Target a guy and move up for him.  Keep cousins to start the next year then trade him.

The Chiefs gave up a lot and not one Chiefs fan thinks they should have kept those picks.
Who is going to trade for  an aging immobile mediocre QB on the last year of his deal that pays 35 million?  A team would be stupid to give up anything of value without the promise of an extension amd Cousins would be stupid to agree to an extension when he could play it out and be a FA or not negotiate and be a FA right away with that 35million in his pocket.  The time to cut ties with him is as soon as this season is over.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Who is going to trade for  an aging immobile mediocre QB on the last year of his deal that pays 35 million?  
Well, there is the guy in Minneso......oh, never mind.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@PSBLAKE said:
@medaille said:

or later.

Who is going to trade for  an aging immobile mediocre QB on the last year of his deal that pays 35 million?  A team would be stupid to give up anything of value without the promise of an extension amd Cousins would be stupid to agree to an extension when he could play it out and be a FA or not negotiate and be a FA right away with that 35million in his pocket.  The time to cut ties with him is as soon as this season is over.
the redskins did that trade for Smith.  if we cant trade him cut Cousins

Quote: @PSBLAKE said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@PSBLAKE said:
@medaille said:

or later.

the redskins did that trade for Smith.  if we cant trade him cut Cousins
His 35m salary will be guaranteed for 2022 if you dont cut him this year.  There is no waiting on this decision,  he is either cut at the end of the year or better plan on him being your QB for the next 2.

@Jimmyin SD said:
because DC is not a player to build a superbowl run around,  his durability issues make him unreliable.  you build your offense around the passing game and if the run game is there and working great.

the point isnt to just win,  its  to build a team that can beat the Chiefs, or whoever is representing the AFC when we get there.  game managers can only do that if you have a stiffling defense and even then the league has taken so much away from the D that its not nearly as likely that a D first approach could even still be successful.

I agree, but throwing the football is NOT the philosophy of this front office and coaching staff.

The original question is how do the Vikings move up to draft a QB? 

If the Vikings win a few more games down the stretch, then the GM and head coach are probably safe. In that scenario, I believe trading up for a QB is just a pipe dream.

As much as I would love to see the Vikings draft a top 3 QB and implement a more modern offensive philosophy,... I just don't see it happening unless the wheels come completely off.

So, unless we have a change at head coach or GM, the only way to draft a top 3 QB is if one falls or if the Vikings completely fall apart.

How do we trade up? We won't.
Unfortunately, Fans/Front Office/Ownership will say shucks, it didn't work out, and won't pick a QB in round 1. We'll either convince ourselves a later guy can be good, or we'll punt the position until 2022 altogether.
I can't bring myself to root for the team to lose, but missing out on an elite QB is gonna hurt.
@PSBLAKE is right. "Mortgaging the future" by trading up sucks. But it's better than having no future, which is what not having an elite QB all but guarantees.
ChiefsPatsEagles*PatsBroncosPatsSeahawksRavens*GiantsPackersSaintsSteelersGiantsColtsSteelersPatsPats
15 of the last 17 SB winners have had HOF QBs (yes, Eli will get in). I don't care how we get a franchise QB, but until we have one, our odds are extremely slim to get to that magical land we all wanna go to.

Be careful about what you wish for. A top 5 pick at QB is not always the prerequisite for a Super Bowl.

Over the last 35 years here are the guys who have won a Super Bowl after being selected in the top 5 picks:
Drew Bledsoe, John Elway, Troy Aikman, Payton Manning, and Eli Manning... that's all folks.

Here are the Super Bowl winners out side the top 5 picks:
Trent Dilfer #6, Phil Simms #7, Patrick Mahomes #10, Ben Rothlesberger #11, Doug Williams #17, Joe Flacco #18, Aaron Rodgers #24, Drew Brees #32, Brett Farve #33, Jeff Hostetler #59, Russell Wilson #75,  Joe Montana #83, Nick Foles #88, Mark Rypien #146, Tom Brady #199, Brad Johnson #227, Steve Young USFL, and Kurt Warner undrafted.

Here are the top 5 QB who have NOT won the Superbowl over the last 30 years:
Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa, Kyler Murry, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Mitch Trubisky, Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Jamis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Blake Bortles, Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin, Cam Newton, Sam Bradford, Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Matt Ryan, Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, Alex Smith, Phillip Rivers, Carson Palmer, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Micheal Vick, Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, Aki Smith, Ryan Leaf, Steve McNair, Kerry Collins, Heath Shuler, and Jeff George.

Some franchise QBs and some busts in the top 5 picks. My point to the fans who want to trade it all to move up into the top 5 picks... no super bowl wins since Eli Manning.