Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So how do we trade up?
I honestly think we will end up around 7-9 or 6-10 which puts us into draft purgatory.  probably with the 15th pick how do we trade up?  how do we get top five in order to get one of the QBs?

Would trading our whole draft then just blowing the competition away with high signing bonuses on undrafted guys work?

thoughts?

Quote: @PSBLAKE said:
I honestly think we will end up around 7-9 or 6-10 which puts us into draft purgatory.  probably with the 15th pick how do we trade up?  how do we get top five in order to get one of the QBs?

Would trading our whole draft then just blowing the competition away with high signing bonuses on undrafted guys work?

thoughts?
if we arent in the top 10, its going to cost to much so we might as well eat another season and hope for a shot in the 2022 draft.  no point in crippling future starters at so many spots for a shot at a starter at one spot,  at QB is the most important position on the team,  but we all know that the odds of even TL being a guy that can do it on his own right out of the box is very very slim and those that come after him it will be even less likely.    get to a spot where a couple 2nds or next years first will get you the guy you want (not the guy you settle for),  or just hold your water for 1 more draft.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@PSBLAKE said:

thoughts?
if we arent in the top 10, its going to cost to much so we might as well eat another season and hope for a shot in the 2022 draft.  no point in crippling future starters at so many spots for a shot at a starter at one spot,  at QB is the most important position on the team,  but we all know that the odds of even TL being a guy that can do it on his own right out of the box is very very slim and those that come after him it will be even less likely.    get to a spot where a couple 2nds or next years first will get you the guy you want (not the guy you settle for),  or just hold your water for 1 more draft.
My brain agrees with you but we have been doing this same strategy for years and never has worked. Teddy was the exception to that rule because he fell.  I am just sick of the same thing year after year.  Great drafts bad QB.  Cousins will never stop hitting his head on the glass ceiling of mediocrity.

Quote: @PSBLAKE said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@PSBLAKE said:

thoughts?
My brain agrees with you but we have been doing this same strategy for years and never has worked. Teddy was the exception to that rule because he fell.  I am just sick of the same thing year after year.  Great drafts bad QB.  Cousins will never stop hitting his head on the glass ceiling of mediocrity.
but what you are suggesting IMO is worse than reaching,  at least a reach only wastes one draft pick,  but to package multiple picks to move up that far for a guy.... you damn well better think he is the next Pat Mahomes,  because if you are settling for your 2nd or 3rd option and using multiple picks to do it..... well thats the worst kind of reach IMO.

There’s a fair number of quality QBs drafted 10th
or later.

Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, Wilson, Rodgers, Brees

These guys come to mind immediately.  I think it’s more about taking a shot on a
guy when you have a chance, than it is about blowing your load for the guys at
the top of the draft rankings on the one year you NEED a qb.  The chance of drafting
a SB caliber QB is not good regardless of where they are drafted, you just have
to be prepared to be persistent.

That said, the Chiefs saw their opportunity and traded from
27th to 10th to get Mahomes, and they gave up a 3rd
and next years 1st, which was clearly worth it.

Lets take a look at the stats of the Vikings' first round quarterbacks:

Tommy Kramer: QB Rate: 72.8, TD-INT: 159-158
Daunte Culpepper: 63% comp, QB Rate: 87.8, TD-INT: 149-106
Christian Ponder: 59.8% comp, QB Rate: 75.9, TD-INT: 38-36
Teddy Bridgewater: 66% comp, QB Rate 90.2, TD-INT: 47-31

All of them took us to the playoffs in at least one season. Krammer and Culpepper had Pro-Bowl years, but the Vikings mostly had a lot of mediocre years with all of our first round QB if you look at the win/lose column.

Trading up will cost us at least a first round pick in 2021 and 2022... and that is only to move up to get Fields or Lance (the Trevor Lawrence price is probably way off the charts).

Look, the Vikings are stuck with Kirk Cousins for the next two seasons, so pick the best QB available when the Vikings are on the clock (in rounds 1-3) and groom him behind Cousins. Right now the Vikings are a run oriented team featuring Davlin Cook. We can win with a game manager type! Why trade up into the top five to get a QB that is only going to hand the ball off?

A good QB will fall to the Vikings at some point. There are more than 3 QB in the draft, and come April this class might feature as many as 5 or 6 first round QBs.

Quote: @Carl Knowles said:
Lets take a look at the stats of the Vikings' first round quarterbacks:

Tommy Kramer: QB Rate: 72.8, TD-INT: 159-158
Daunte Culpepper: 63% comp, QB Rate: 87.8, TD-INT: 149-106
Christian Ponder: 59.8% comp, QB Rate: 75.9, TD-INT: 38-36
Teddy Bridgewater: 66% comp, QB Rate 90.2, TD-INT: 47-31

All of them took us to the playoffs in at least one season. Krammer and Culpepper had Pro-Bowl years, but the Vikings mostly had a lot of mediocre years with all of our first round QB if you look at the win/lose column.

Trading up will cost us at least a first round pick in 2021 and 2022... and that is only to move up to get Fields or Lance (the Trevor Lawrence price is probably way off the charts).

Look, the Vikings are stuck with Kirk Cousins for the next two seasons, so pick the best QB available when the Vikings are on the clock (in rounds 1-3) and groom him behind Cousins. Right now the Vikings are a run oriented team featuring Davlin Cook. We can win with a game manager type! Why trade up into the top five to get a QB that is only going to hand the ball off?

A good QB will fall to the Vikings at some point. There are more than 3 QB in the draft, and come April this class might feature as many as 5 or 6 first round QBs.
because DC is not a player to build a superbowl run around,  his durability issues make him unreliable.  you build your offense around the passing game and if the run game is there and working great.

the point isnt to just win,  its  to build a team that can beat the Chiefs, or whoever is representing the AFC when we get there.  game managers can only do that if you have a stiffling defense and even then the league has taken so much away from the D that its not nearly as likely that a D first approach could even still be successful.

I dont know how we can have this conversation without first determining who's the GM and HC going to be?

And not knowing if we're 4 wins or 7?

I will say that if they have strong conviction on a QB? Go for it and hope you're convicted over a Mahomes and not a Trubisky. 

I have faith Rick will find the next Christian Ponder this next draft.

Quote: @comet52 said:
I have faith Rick will find the next Christian Ponder this next draft.
he very well may,  but as long as he doesnt use draft assets to move up for the 3rd guy on his list,  if he's moving up it better be because there is value at where a player is at and that player wont make it to our selection,  not because he is afraid to lose out on a position.