Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Today is the BIG DAY
Quote: @PSBLAKE said:
@MarkSP18 said:
I think it is hard to figure out the direction the team is headed. 

The Yannick Ngakoue trade was really nice.  He would have been the bookend to Hunter.  But they changed their minds and must have figured that he either did not fit and/or they could not extend him.  They had to have a good idea that they could extend him before making the trade.  He did have 5 sacks already as well.

After that trade and before the Packers game most felt a couple of other moves might be made to save some cap space.

The Packers game may have changed their minds though.  Ezra Cleveland, surprisingly, did well at right guard.  Reiff has been playing well too.  Having to take a pay cut and playing for the rest of your contract is quite an incentive no?  I think they probably are thinking they need to keep Reiff and could actually extend him next year.  Hard to see them asking him to take another cut.  Even if they plan on letting him go, they could actually be thinking playoffs this year.

An obvious move would be to send Harris somewhere.  But there is very little depth at safety.  They would have to get someone back.

I think a trade to the Browns could work.  Apparently, they were interested this past offseason.  I could see a trade of Harris to the Browns for a 5th round pick and Ronnie Harrison.

I do not see any team trading for Rudolph. It's hard to find a team with cap space and that is in the playoff hunt.

I would not be surprised to see no other moves.

If the Vikings truly believed they have or had a chance at the playoffs then why trade Yannick?  They could really use him to rush the passer.  If he left to go elsewhere then they would get that comp pick in 2022 because they likely wont have any money to pursue even a single top free agent (it could be done).

we had no cap space next year to Sign Yannick and extend Hunter.  I think that played into the decision as well
if thats the case (and it might very well be) I have no idea why they would sign YN to begin with? 

Something happened after they traded for him that caused them to shift. I think they (rightly so) envisioned YN + DH as their DE's for a long while.

I'm still not happy they traded him away. Young, good pass rushers are almost as hard to find as a qb. 

Quote: @PSBLAKE said:
honestly I dont think there is much interest in our aging veterans with high cap numbers because there arent many teams that feel they are just one player away from making a run.  This is such a weird year I think most teams at or floating around .500 are just going to let the season play out and give it thier best shot with what they have on the roster.
many of them are facing the same cap hell for next year as we are and they know that if they wait it out there will be better deals in the offseason IMO.  the only buyers right now will be teams like the packers, saints, seahawks... the teams with a real shot at making some noise in the playoffs... and had to laugh as I typed the packers after the ass whoopin they just got.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@PSBLAKE said:
@MarkSP18 said:

The Yannick Ngakoue trade was really nice.  He would have been the bookend to Hunter.  But they changed their minds and must have figured that he either did not fit and/or they could not extend him.  They had to have a good idea that they could extend him before making the trade.  He did have 5 sacks already as well.

After that trade and before the Packers game most felt a couple of other moves might be made to save some cap space.

The Packers game may have changed their minds though.  Ezra Cleveland, surprisingly, did well at right guard.  Reiff has been playing well too.  Having to take a pay cut and playing for the rest of your contract is quite an incentive no?  I think they probably are thinking they need to keep Reiff and could actually extend him next year.  Hard to see them asking him to take another cut.  Even if they plan on letting him go, they could actually be thinking playoffs this year.

An obvious move would be to send Harris somewhere.  But there is very little depth at safety.  They would have to get someone back.

I think a trade to the Browns could work.  Apparently, they were interested this past offseason.  I could see a trade of Harris to the Browns for a 5th round pick and Ronnie Harrison.

I do not see any team trading for Rudolph. It's hard to find a team with cap space and that is in the playoff hunt.

If the Vikings truly believed they have or had a chance at the playoffs then why trade Yannick?  They could really use him to rush the passer.  If he left to go elsewhere then they would get that comp pick in 2022 because they likely wont have any money to pursue even a single top free agent (it could be done).

we had no cap space next year to Sign Yannick and extend Hunter.  I think that played into the decision as well
if thats the case (and it might very well be) I have no idea why they would sign YN to begin with? 

Something happened after they traded for him that caused them to shift. I think they (rightly so) envisioned YN + DH as their DE's for a long while.

I'm still not happy they traded him away. Young, good pass rushers are almost as hard to find as a qb. 
I think the reality of the cap dropping and the reality of them having to move on from Cousins and how expensive that poorly crafted contract would be in a cap drop season.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@PSBLAKE said:
@MarkSP18 said:

I think the reality of the cap dropping and the reality of them having to move on from Cousins and how expensive that poorly crafted contract would be in a cap drop season.
The cap dropping they could have seen before the trade....I still think some one thing or combination of things post trade caused them to move off a very good, young pass-rusher.

Maybe their record, maybe KC stinking the joint-up, maybe YN got here and said I want no part of this re-tool or re-build???

@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@PSBLAKE said:
@MarkSP18 said:

The cap dropping they could have seen before the trade....I still think some one thing or combination of things post trade caused them to move off a very good, young pass-rusher.

Maybe their record, maybe KC stinking the joint-up, maybe YN got here and said I want no part of this re-tool or re-build???

perhaps,  but it was rumored that when we traded for him that his heart was to be traded to the Ravens.   As far as the cap,  remember when the season started they were expecting to see fans in the stadium as soon as week 4,  honestly except for the people that are taking a year off from the game due to the SJ shit,  TV viewership has to be up since so few fans are in attendance... a good deal for the networks since their deals were already in place prior to covid.

nfl may also expand playoffs  because  of the covid

Quote: @Viking1987 said:
they already have expanded the playoffs havent they?  16 teams instead of 12?

@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@PSBLAKE said:
@MarkSP18 said:

Recently, writers have been hinting that YN wasn’t a good fit for our D, w/o really elaborating why, perhaps more will come out on this... 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Viking1987 said:
they already have expanded the playoffs havent they?  16 teams instead of 12?

Previously it was expanded to 14, they are now open to 16, if teams can’t play their full schedules...