Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Today is the BIG DAY
Are you ready for the close of the NFL trade deadline today?  Wait, what did you think I meant by Big Day?  Today decides where Spielman thinks the franchise is headed this year.

as quiet as its been,  I am afraid that he isnt going to be much of a seller and that we are going to see the same shit next year.... or worse.

Maybe a lot of 11th hour deals...

Ugh. This is going to be another disappointment.

The team announced Thielen wont be traded so at least we know this. Are they trying to ship Harry, Harris, or Reiff? I don't think we do anything, but perhaps I am wrong.

I'd place a small amount of $$$ on a trade with 49'ers by EOB today. 

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
The team announced Thielen wont be traded so at least we know this. Are they trying to ship Harry, Harris, or Reiff? I don't think we do anything, but perhaps I am wrong.
at least we know what on Thielen?  that he wont be traded until the browns sweeten the deal?

the only player i trust that wont be traded is Cousins and thats just because would couldnt move enough other cap to make room for the hit we would take this year on his deal.  ( edit- what a bad bad deal )

honestly I dont think there is much interest in our aging veterans with high cap numbers because there arent many teams that feel they are just one player away from making a run.  This is such a weird year I think most teams at or floating around .500 are just going to let the season play out and give it thier best shot with what they have on the roster.

I think it is hard to figure out the direction the team is headed. 

The Yannick Ngakoue trade was really nice.  He would have been the bookend to Hunter.  But they changed their minds and must have figured that he either did not fit and/or they could not extend him.  They had to have a good idea that they could extend him before making the trade.  He did have 5 sacks already as well.

After that trade and before the Packers game most felt a couple of other moves might be made to save some cap space.

The Packers game may have changed their minds though.  Ezra Cleveland, surprisingly, did well at right guard.  Reiff has been playing well too.  Having to take a pay cut and playing for the rest of your contract is quite an incentive no?  I think they probably are thinking they need to keep Reiff and could actually extend him next year.  Hard to see them asking him to take another cut.  Even if they plan on letting him go, they could actually be thinking playoffs this year.

An obvious move would be to send Harris somewhere.  But there is very little depth at safety.  They would have to get someone back.

I think a trade to the Browns could work.  Apparently, they were interested this past offseason.  I could see a trade of Harris to the Browns for a 5th round pick and Ronnie Harrison.

I do not see any team trading for Rudolph. It's hard to find a team with cap space and that is in the playoff hunt.

I would not be surprised to see no other moves.

If the Vikings truly believed they have or had a chance at the playoffs then why trade Yannick?  They could really use him to rush the passer.  If he left to go elsewhere then they would get that comp pick in 2022 because they likely wont have any money to pursue even a single top free agent (it could be done).

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
I think it is hard to figure out the direction the team is headed. 

The Yannick Ngakoue trade was really nice.  He would have been the bookend to Hunter.  But they changed their minds and must have figured that he either did not fit and/or they could not extend him.  They had to have a good idea that they could extend him before making the trade.  He did have 5 sacks already as well.

After that trade and before the Packers game most felt a couple of other moves might be made to save some cap space.

The Packers game may have changed their minds though.  Ezra Cleveland, surprisingly, did well at right guard.  Reiff has been playing well too.  Having to take a pay cut and playing for the rest of your contract is quite an incentive no?  I think they probably are thinking they need to keep Reiff and could actually extend him next year.  Hard to see them asking him to take another cut.  Even if they plan on letting him go, they could actually be thinking playoffs this year.

An obvious move would be to send Harris somewhere.  But there is very little depth at safety.  They would have to get someone back.

I think a trade to the Browns could work.  Apparently, they were interested this past offseason.  I could see a trade of Harris to the Browns for a 5th round pick and Ronnie Harrison.

I do not see any team trading for Rudolph. It's hard to find a team with cap space and that is in the playoff hunt.

I would not be surprised to see no other moves.

If the Vikings truly believed they have or had a chance at the playoffs then why trade Yannick?  They could really use him to rush the passer.  If he left to go elsewhere then they would get that comp pick in 2022 because they likely wont have any money to pursue even a single top free agent (it could be done).
we had no cap space next year to Sign Yannick and extend Hunter.  I think that played into the decision as well