Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Mormon Manziel Moving Up Draft Boards
Quote: @IDVikingfan said:
With the exception of Steve Young, BYU quarterbacks fail badly in the NFL.  Good college offenses though.  Pass.

Ooops, forgot Jim McMahon, won a super bowl with the Bears.
Ty Detmer threw of over 6,000 yards and lasted 14 years in the NFL!!

Outside of Deshaun Watson, it is easy to argue that Clemson and Ohio State quarterbacks have had less success transitioning to the NFL.

Imo success is to take nice prospects in the mid rounds even though you dont have a need at QB.  The Vikes always take their QB prospects day 3 and imo thats to late,  or they are in a have to position and end up reaching and that will always bite them in the ass.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
Good lord, its so damn hard to project these QB's....

Wilson in the 3rd, Brady in the 6th, Rogers #28 overall and the Vikings passed on him twice that draft. 

How many #1's that just bust? 

Just get lucky Vikings.
That's exactly it. If you look at draft history, there's ZERO pattern to follow. Brees was a 2nd rounder. Rodgers a late 1st rounder. Russell a 3rd, Dak a 4th. Brady a 6th.

Josh Rosen ahead of Lamar Jackson. Trubisky ahead of Mahomes. Paxton Lynch and Christian Hackenberg and Cody Kessler taken ahead of Dak Prescott. Bortles and Manziel taken ahead of Bridgewater and Carr. Brandon Weeden and Brock Osweiler ahead of Russel Wilson. 

And the further you go back, the worse it gets. Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, Tebow, Mark Sanchez, JeMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Matt Leinart, Vince Young, Byron Leftwich, JP Losman, David Carr, Joey Harrington...on and on and on.....all first rounders, many of whom top 5 picks. 

People call Green Bay, Seattle, Dallas and New England smart for their QB picks. Bullshit. They got lucky. Jerry Jones famously moped around for weeks after he was unsuccessful in his attempt to trade up for Paxton Lynch...and had to settle for...Dak Prescott in the 4th. 

Just get lucky is right. 
Getty lucky is one thing, putting yourself in position for such luck is another. The Vikings never take a swing for a QB until there is a need. This has been a huge problem longer than I can remember. I remember hoping they would take Russel Wilson sitting there in the 3rd in 2012, even though they had just drafted Ponder. I just don't see a problem if you end up with two good QBS but apparently the Vikings do.

Quote: @kmillard said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
Good lord, its so damn hard to project these QB's....

Wilson in the 3rd, Brady in the 6th, Rogers #28 overall and the Vikings passed on him twice that draft. 

How many #1's that just bust? 

Just get lucky Vikings.
That's exactly it. If you look at draft history, there's ZERO pattern to follow. Brees was a 2nd rounder. Rodgers a late 1st rounder. Russell a 3rd, Dak a 4th. Brady a 6th.

Josh Rosen ahead of Lamar Jackson. Trubisky ahead of Mahomes. Paxton Lynch and Christian Hackenberg and Cody Kessler taken ahead of Dak Prescott. Bortles and Manziel taken ahead of Bridgewater and Carr. Brandon Weeden and Brock Osweiler ahead of Russel Wilson. 

And the further you go back, the worse it gets. Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, Tebow, Mark Sanchez, JeMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Matt Leinart, Vince Young, Byron Leftwich, JP Losman, David Carr, Joey Harrington...on and on and on.....all first rounders, many of whom top 5 picks. 

People call Green Bay, Seattle, Dallas and New England smart for their QB picks. Bullshit. They got lucky. Jerry Jones famously moped around for weeks after he was unsuccessful in his attempt to trade up for Paxton Lynch...and had to settle for...Dak Prescott in the 4th. 

Just get lucky is right. 
Getty lucky is one thing, putting yourself in position for such luck is another. The Vikings never take a swing for a QB until there is a need. This has been a huge problem longer than I can remember. I remember hoping they would take Russel Wilson sitting there in the 3rd in 2012, even though they had just drafted Ponder. I just don't see a problem if you end up with two good QBS but apparently the Vikings do.
Little bit of that draft religion should rub-off on OL too...

Quote: @Carl Knowles said:
@IDVikingfan said:
With the exception of Steve Young, BYU quarterbacks fail badly in the NFL.  Good college offenses though.  Pass.

Ty Detmer threw of over 6,000 yards and lasted 14 years in the NFL!!

Outside of Deshaun Watson, it is easy to argue that Clemson and Ohio State quarterbacks have had less success transitioning to the NFL.

I had forgotten about Detmer but he was mostly a backup, did alright for himself financially though!  

Very true Carl, the transition to NFL is tough, and you mention two schools that most would consider some of the best in college FB, yet their QB's did not excel in the NFL.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@IDVikingfan said:

Lol...

How did Jim McMahon ever make it through a school like BYU???
LOL, I agree!  He didn't exactly fit the image they try to portray!  But like many schools, they will look away if the player is successful and a winner on the field!

Has he done his Mormon mission yet?

Wilson obviously suffered from that hand injury last year because he's got a gun. Super quick release. He just might edge himself into the top 3 ahead of Lance. Fields looked amazing yesterday. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Wilson obviously suffered from that hand injury last year because he's got a gun. Super quick release. He just might edge himself into the top 3 ahead of Lance. Fields looked amazing yesterday. 
I'm so damn leery of Ohio State QB's...

[Image: 116730_h.jpg]

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@StickyBun said:
I'm so damn leery of Ohio State QB's...

[Image: 116730_h.jpg]
I can understand that, but Fields is much different than their traditional 6'4", 240 lbs guys with howitzer arms but no field vision or accuracy. He's the real deal.