Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Mormon Manziel Moving Up Draft Boards
If the Vikings had Jonny Manziel as the top QB on their board in 2014 (and tried to move up to get him) surely Spielman will have his eye on Zach Wilson.  

Chris Trapasso (CBS Sports) calls Zach Wilson an early round pick:

“Wilson can push the football vertically as well. In fact, he loves it. To date, Wilson's attempted 28 passes of 20 or more yards down the field, good for rate of 17.1%. For context, Trevor Lawrence's 20-plus yard attempt rate currently sits at 16.6%.”

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/byu-qb-zach-wilson-legitimizing-himself-as-prospect-with-freestyle-playmaking-ability-and-refined-skills/
Pro football focus has Zach Wilson all the way up to #18 on their updated draft board.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-prospect-rankings-updated-top-100-big-board-2021-nfl-draft

It will be interesting. I read the same thing about Jake Fromm last year and look where he went in the Draft. Different players for sure and Wilson will go much higher, but where exactly I'm not sure. 

Before the season started I thought this guy was a 3rd rounder at best. Now he looks like he'll be going in the 1st, or at least that's how it looks presently. Still a long way to go before the draft.

He's got a bit of an injury history, and I wonder just how strong his arm is. Otherwise he's a very intriguing prospect.

Spielman can play Pin the Tail on the Donkey and have an even better draft than he usually does.

Why in the name of Ryan Leaf would you want to stick him with that nickname?  Manziel was one of the biggest busts of all time. He wasn't just a drunk; he couldn't play at the NFL level. Or the CFL for that matter. 

I haven't really looked at any of these guys yet, but Wilson looks pretty good. Hey, the more legit 1st round QBs to choose from, the better. 

That 2nd highlight was SO Teddy Bridgewater. Had to shake my head and make sure he wasn't wearing #5. Feet look a little weird in that last highlight but I didn't see that elsewhere, so probably nothing. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Why in the name of Ryan Leaf would you want to stick him with that nickname?  Manziel was one of the biggest busts of all time. He wasn't just a drunk; he couldn't play at the NFL level. Or the CFL for that matter. 

I haven't really looked at any of these guys yet, but Wilson looks pretty good. Hey, the more legit 1st round QBs to choose from, the better. 

That 2nd highlight was SO Teddy Bridgewater. Had to shake my head and make sure he wasn't wearing #5. Feet look a little weird in that last highlight but I didn't see that elsewhere, so probably nothing. 
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news...ed-skills/

Good lord, its so damn hard to project these QB's....

Wilson in the 3rd, Brady in the 6th, Rogers #28 overall and the Vikings passed on him twice that draft. 

How many #1's that just bust? 

Just get lucky Vikings.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Good lord, its so damn hard to project these QB's....

Wilson in the 3rd, Brady in the 6th, Rogers #28 overall and the Vikings passed on him twice that draft. 

How many #1's that just bust? 

Just get lucky Vikings.
That's exactly it. If you look at draft history, there's ZERO pattern to follow. Brees was a 2nd rounder. Rodgers a late 1st rounder. Russell a 3rd, Dak a 4th. Brady a 6th.

Josh Rosen ahead of Lamar Jackson. Trubisky ahead of Mahomes. Paxton Lynch and Christian Hackenberg and Cody Kessler taken ahead of Dak Prescott. Bortles and Manziel taken ahead of Bridgewater and Carr. Brandon Weeden and Brock Osweiler ahead of Russel Wilson. 

And the further you go back, the worse it gets. Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, Tebow, Mark Sanchez, JeMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Matt Leinart, Vince Young, Byron Leftwich, JP Losman, David Carr, Joey Harrington...on and on and on.....all first rounders, many of whom top 5 picks. 

People call Green Bay, Seattle, Dallas and New England smart for their QB picks. Bullshit. They got lucky. Jerry Jones famously moped around for weeks after he was unsuccessful in his attempt to trade up for Paxton Lynch...and had to settle for...Dak Prescott in the 4th. 

Just get lucky is right. 

With the exception of Steve Young, BYU quarterbacks fail badly in the NFL.  Good college offenses though.  Pass.

Ooops, forgot Jim McMahon, won a super bowl with the Bears.

Quote: @"IDVikingfan" said:
With the exception of Steve Young, BYU quarterbacks fail badly in the NFL.  Good college offenses though.  Pass.

Ooops, forgot Jim McMahon, won a super bowl with the Bears.
Lol...

How did Jim McMahon ever make it through a school like BYU???