Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Covid really be "the issue" this election?
Quote: @purplefaithful said:

What would surprise me is if we actually get a POTUS call by the day after elections.  
Totally agree with this.  This is going to be drug out.

Quote: @Skodin said:
 We should have the day off to vote.  Yes.  We should have electronic voting.  Depends on what you mean by electronic voting.  We need to make sure it's highly resistant to hackers and other forms of fraud.  I don't think I'd trust electronic voting that doesn't also have a paper receipt.
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I think it's a big issue, but not THE issue. The biggest issue, and the one that will lose the election for Trump among independents and white suburbia, is Donald Trump's general behavior. His narcissism, his pathological lying, his douchebaggery. 

The folks who months ago, before the dems ever settled on a candidate, put up signs in their yards that read "Any Functioning Adult 2020" are the ones who will turn this election blue. They're not dems, per se. They're not even overtly political. They may not even be regular voters. But they are definitely sick of the idiot.
Also agreed.  I think this election is primarily Trump vs anti-Trump.  That said, I think there's a large percentage of people who think "narcissism, his pathological lying, his douchebaggery" applies to both candidates and I don't think it's a given they all vote for Biden.

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
@Skodin said:

Sick of the instability.  The mania.  This country is on edge right now.  It's not healthy, it's terribly sad because we are in a pandemic still as well as massive economic crisis coming.  Last thing we need to is have insanity and bullshit.
If Trump is voted out, this crap aint just going away,  the insanity will still be there.
Agreed.  The insanity is ours not Trump's.  Trump is just a lightning rod that the people stare at, but the emotional volatility is our emotions.  A large part of that is that we haven't developed a healthy distrust of the media yet and their desire to push the fear/rage buttons over and over again because it sucks people in and makes them money.

I think covid is an issue for seniors. This is one group that has moved *away* from Trump. 

As far as everyone else, Trump's opponent in '16 was a candidate with a high unfavorability rating.  Hillary was underwater.  While Trump has done everything to paint Biden as a comatose hospital patient, his favorability rating has actually moved from the negative to the positive. I don't know anyone who thinks Biden is a spry young man. But last night's town halls (yes I watched both), painted a clear picture. Trump's was filled with lies, as usual. Biden's actually was a calm discussion of policy, policy and more policy.

Many people are tired of the circus. And many of those feel there is an acceptable alternative.

Quote: @medaille said:
@purplefaithful said:

What would surprise me is if we actually get a POTUS call by the day after elections.  
Totally agree with this.  This is going to be drug out.

Quote: @Skodin said:
 We should have the day off to vote.  Yes.  We should have electronic voting.  Depends on what you mean by electronic voting.  We need to make sure it's highly resistant to hackers and other forms of fraud.  I don't think I'd trust electronic voting that doesn't also have a paper receipt.
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I think it's a big issue, but not THE issue. The biggest issue, and the one that will lose the election for Trump among independents and white suburbia, is Donald Trump's general behavior. His narcissism, his pathological lying, his douchebaggery. 

The folks who months ago, before the dems ever settled on a candidate, put up signs in their yards that read "Any Functioning Adult 2020" are the ones who will turn this election blue. They're not dems, per se. They're not even overtly political. They may not even be regular voters. But they are definitely sick of the idiot.
Also agreed.  I think this election is primarily Trump vs anti-Trump.  That said, I think there's a large percentage of people who think "narcissism, his pathological lying, his douchebaggery" applies to both candidates and I don't think it's a given they all vote for Biden.
You don't believe that and you know it. 

Covid is a huge issue but it is the ripple effect. We have now seen the complete and utter ineptitude of this administration on so many levels. It's not just Trump, it includes those who have coddled and enabled him. Covid has lead to devastating unemployment, homeless and overwhelming strains on the healthcare system. So many issues are on the ballot. Healthcare, women's rights, social justice, environment and social security. Seniors have made it clear that they are not willing to be sacrificed for the economy. There are so many people that are not willing to be the scapegoat. There is going to be record turnout. There already is. People are sick and tired of nothing being done to help the American people. 

Yeah there are so many things that have been affected.  I have been hearing about this from my son, just didn't realize how far things had gone.

https://www.propublica.org/article/insid...ket-newtab
Inside the Fall of the CDC
How the world’s greatest public health
organization was brought to its knees by a virus, the president and the
capitulation of its own leaders, causing damage that could last much
longer than the coronavirus.