Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Covid really be "the issue" this election?
To the degree politicians and media are making it out to be?

I used to think hell yes it will be, I'm not sure anymore...

How many undecideds in swing states are going to make their decision based on Biden vs Trump on Covid mgmnt?

Different issues will be important for different
people.  I think Covid will be more
important in how people vote, than it is in who they vote for.

I think people who are strongly Democrat will use Covid to
strengthen their bias.  I think people
who are strongly Republican will focus more on the Democratic Governors general
failures to prevent rioting.  I just don’t
think there’s a huge amount of people changing their minds due to Covid.  I do agree that a couple months ago, I would
have thought that the elderly in particular were voting Biden based on Covid,
but I think we’ve sort of ran out of emotional steam on the Covid fear train.

I think the biggest trend will be low voter turnout.  Why deal with voting during a pandemic when
these are your two choices?  I think only
the most asleep people have missed the boat on Biden’s weaknesses and I don’t
think anyone has missed the nonstop focusing on Trump’s weaknesses.  People saw the debate, and neither of those
guys was very inspiring.  The other main
trend will be a large chunk of the progressive part of the Democrats not
supporting Biden.  He’s basically shoved
a 3rd of the democrats off to the side trying to get suburban republican
vote.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
Different issues will be important for different
people.  I think Covid will be more
important in how people vote, than it is in who they vote for.

I think people who are strongly Democrat will use Covid to
strengthen their bias.  I think people
who are strongly Republican will focus more on the Democratic Governors general
failures to prevent rioting.  I just don’t
think there’s a huge amount of people changing their minds due to Covid.  I do agree that a couple months ago, I would
have thought that the elderly in particular were voting Biden based on Covid,
but I think we’ve sort of ran out of emotional steam on the Covid fear train.

I think the biggest trend will be low voter turnout.  Why deal with voting during a pandemic when
these are your two choices?  I think only
the most asleep people have missed the boat on Biden’s weaknesses and I don’t
think anyone has missed the nonstop focusing on Trump’s weaknesses.  People saw the debate, and neither of those
guys was very inspiring.  The other main
trend will be a large chunk of the progressive part of the Democrats not
supporting Biden.  He’s basically shoved
a 3rd of the democrats off to the side trying to get suburban republican
vote.
I'm not sure about that one...Now admittedly, I have a small sample size. My kid lives in LA, and is more liberal than  me and an artist to boot. The rest of my lens (bias?) is based on my own discussions with people. 

I think a lot of people who sat on the sidelines in 16 are motivated to vote. Even the Bernie backers my kid hangs with are plugging their nose and voting. I expect decent turn-out.

What would surprise me is if we actually get a POTUS call by the day after elections.  

It should, especially those who have been stuck with no form of income coming in.  What I see is a HUGE voter turn out this year.  That's good, we should all vote.  We should have the day off to vote.  We should have electronic voting.  It's our duty, it's our right to exercise.
I would imagine that this year's election will have 5 more million voters than in 16.  An election that was decided by an electoral college decision of 70,000 individual votes

I think it's a big issue, but not THE issue. The biggest issue, and the one that will lose the election for Trump among independents and white suburbia, is Donald Trump's general behavior. His narcissism, his pathological lying, his douchebaggery. 

The folks who months ago, before the dems ever settled on a candidate, put up signs in their yards that read "Any Functioning Adult 2020" are the ones who will turn this election blue. They're not dems, per se. They're not even overtly political. They may not even be regular voters. But they are definitely sick of the idiot.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
I think it's a big issue, but not THE issue. The biggest issue, and the one that will lose the election for Trump among independents and white suburbia, is Donald Trump's general behavior. His narcissism, his pathological lying, his douchebaggery. 

The folks who months ago, before the dems ever settled on a candidate, put up signs in their yards that read "Any Functioning Adult 2020" are the ones who will turn this election blue. They're not dems, per se. They're not even overtly political. They may not even be regular voters. But they are definitely sick of the idiot.

Sick of the instability.  The mania.  This country is on edge right now.  It's not healthy, it's terribly sad because we are in a pandemic still as well as massive economic crisis coming.  Last thing we need to is have insanity and bullshit.

Quote: @"Skodin" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Sick of the instability.  The mania.  This country is on edge right now.  It's not healthy, it's terribly sad because we are in a pandemic still as well as massive economic crisis coming.  Last thing we need to is have insanity and bullshit.
If Trump is voted out, this crap aint just going away,  the insanity will still be there.

More than 17 million Americans have already cast ballots in the 2020 election, a record-shattering avalanche of early votes driven both by Democratic enthusiasm and a pandemic that has transformed the way the nation votes.
The total represents 12% of all the votes cast in the 2016 presidential election, even as eight states are not yet reporting their totals and voters still have more than two weeks to cast ballots. Americans' rush to vote is leading election experts to predict that a record 150 million votes may be cast and turnout rates could be higher than in any presidential election since 1908.
"It's crazy," said Michael McDonald, a University of Florida political scientist who has long tracked voting for his site ElectProject.org. McDonald's analysis shows roughly 10 times as many people have voted compared with this point in 2016.
"We can be certain this will be a high-turnout election," McDonald said
https://www.startribune.com/avalanche-of...572765081/

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
More than 17 million Americans have already cast ballots in the 2020 election, a record-shattering avalanche of early votes driven both by Democratic enthusiasm and a pandemic that has transformed the way the nation votes.
The total represents 12% of all the votes cast in the 2016 presidential election, even as eight states are not yet reporting their totals and voters still have more than two weeks to cast ballots. Americans' rush to vote is leading election experts to predict that a record 150 million votes may be cast and turnout rates could be higher than in any presidential election since 1908.
"It's crazy," said Michael McDonald, a University of Florida political scientist who has long tracked voting for his site ElectProject.org. McDonald's analysis shows roughly 10 times as many people have voted compared with this point in 2016.
Wow, that's nuts. The more who vote, the more Biden wins. But I suspect it's just as much pandemic as it is blue enthusiasm. I think this year especially people just don't want to be stuck waiting in line with hundreds of others.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Wow, that's nuts. The more who vote, the more Biden wins. But I suspect it's just as much pandemic as it is blue enthusiasm. I think this year especially people just don't want to be stuck waiting in line with hundreds of others.
I'm not going to make any predictions for November...This may corroborate what I believed coming in - lots of folks who sat on their asz's on 16 aren't doing that this election.