Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zach Orr Coming Out Of Retirement, Unrestricted Free Agent
Quote: @NFL Draft Guru said:
This isn't really a "new" story. Orr has been attempting a comeback over the past month and there has been little traction. It is one thing for him to decide he is willing to take the risk with his neck, it is another for a team to actually pass him on a physical. Great player going through a tough situation. 
I think you are going to be surprised by the interest:

Mike Garafolo‏Verified account @MikeGarafolo  3m3 minutes ago
More
That was fast. Free agent LB Zach Orr to visit the Lions tomorrow, as @DanGrazianoESPN said. Seems there's plenty of interest already.

Free agent LB Zachary Orr will visit the Lions on Thursday.
According to ESPN's Dan Graziano, as many as eight teams have reached out to Orr since he announced Wednesday morning that he's determined to play this season after suddenly retiring in January due to a neck condition. Teams will want to do extensive medical checks on Orr and clear him before signing him.
Related: Lions

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@NFL Draft Guru said:
This isn't really a "new" story. Orr has been attempting a comeback over the past month and there has been little traction. It is one thing for him to decide he is willing to take the risk with his neck, it is another for a team to actually pass him on a physical. Great player going through a tough situation. 

More
That was fast. Free agent LB Zach Orr to visit the Lions tomorrow, as @DanGrazianoESPN said. Seems there's plenty of interest already.
I am talking more from the medical side of things. Anyone can find a doctor that will give you the "ok" after going for a dozen different opinions. Teams will be interested in his talent. But its an entirely different medical examination by an NFL team. Regardless of how talented he is, nobody is going to risk a lawsuit over him.  

Quote: @NFL Draft Guru said:
@StickyBun said:
@NFL Draft Guru said:

More
I am talking more from the medical side of things. Anyone can find a doctor that will give you the "ok" after going for a dozen different opinions. Teams will be interested in his talent. But its an entirely different medical examination by an NFL team. Regardless of how talented he is, nobody is going to risk a lawsuit over him.  
Well of course. But he obviously was cleared by some medical personnel to be coming back. He's got an official visit with a NFL team, that's a start.....and the rumor is 8 other teams are interested. Obviously he needs to pass a NFL physical. That's the new part, the official visit. Progress.

Jets have interest in Zach OrrPosted by Charean Williams on June 29, 2017, 6:27 PM EDT[Image: 630203590-e1482532043846.jpg?w=250]Getty ImagesThe Jets aren’t one of the four unknown teams with whom Zach Orr has visits scheduled, but they apparently have interest in the linebacker. Orr’s agent, Rob Sheets, told the New York Post that he has heard from the Jets and hopes to put “something in the works” to get Orr there for a visit.
Orr is in Detroit and has a visit scheduled Friday with another team and three other trips for next week, Sheets told Baltimore radio station 105.7 The Fan earlier Thursday.
The Jets’ interest in Orr makes sense considering their release of middle linebacker David Harris earlier this month. The Jets have Demario DavisBruce Carterand Julian Stanford as candidates to fill the vacancy, but Orr likely would be an upgrade as he led the Ravens with 132 tackles last season.
Orr recently came out of a five-month retirement after additional consultation with doctors about his congenital neck and spine condition.

I figured if this guy was going to the effort to come back, he'd be cleared:
View 1 new Tweet
  1.  Josina Anderson Retweeted
    [Image: e6cf4d9f987191a7370c902f68ad95dc_bigger.jpeg]David J. Chao, MD‏Verified account @ProFootballDoc  7h7 hours ago
    More
    David J. Chao, MD Retweeted Josina Anderson
    As posted this AM.
    #ZachOrr should be able to pass a physical despite having retired due to a congenital neck issue.
    http://fw.to/EoD5bN 
    David J. Chao, MD added,
    Josina AndersonVerified account @JosinaAndersonZach Orr's agent Robert Sheets tells me Orr has interest from "16 teams" so far. Adds Orr intends to take as many meaningful visits as posb.
    0 replies1 retweet3 likes

Zach Orr visiting Colts FridayPosted by Josh Alper on June 30, 2017, 9:53 AM EDT[Image: 622239532-e1498830792939.jpg?w=231]Getty ImagesThe Colts brought in several free agent linebackers this offseason and they’ll spend time with another one on Friday.
Zach Orr said on Friday, via Alex Marvez of SiriusXM NFL Radio, that he has arrived in Indianapolis to visit with the Colts. Orr visited the Lions on Thursday and is set to meet with the Jets on Saturday.
Orr announced this week that he intends to play this season after saying in January that he would step away from the game due to a neck condition. The Ravens did not tender him as a restricted free agent as a result of that announcement.
Orr said the condition is a genetic one rather than caused by an injury and that he has spoken to multiple doctors who think he can continue playing, although he’ll need team doctors to agree before he’ll sign with a new team.
The Colts added Sean Spence and Jon Bostic at inside linebacker in free agency and drafted Anthony Walker in the fifth round.

Free agent LB Zachary Orr called his decision to retire in January "premature."
At the time of his retirement, Orr had only spoken to one doctor about his neck condition. After being urged to get a second opinion, Orr learned that his injury wasn't career-threatening. "After people found out I only went to one doctor, they were telling me, ‘You’ve got to go get a second opinion.' It was kind of eating at me," he said. "Obviously, I wanted to play ball. I love ball. I went ahead and did that." Orr has already met with the Lions and Colts and will head to East Rutherford to visit the Jets on Saturday.
Source: SportingNews.comJun 30 - 1:27 PM

Colts use Zach Orr’s visit for information-gatheringPosted by Charean Williams on June 30, 2017, 9:33 PM EDT[Image: 498320148-e1498872784186.jpg?w=250]Getty ImagesThe Colts have an obvious need at linebacker, and Zach Orr visited Indianapolis on Friday. That doesn’t mean the Colts have intentions of signing Orr.
According to Stephen Holder of the Indianapolis Star, Orr’s visit was merely for information-gathering purposes, as the Colts have not yet reached a comfort level with signing a player who retired for five months because of a spinal condition.
Orr, 25, led the Ravens in tackles last season with 132 tackles, but retired in January. He announced this week he was returning to football. But teams interested in Orr will first have to clear him medically.
He visited Detroit on Thursday and has a visit with the Jets on Saturday. Orr’s agent, Rob Sheets, has said Orr has other visits scheduled next week.

Interesting that the Ravens aren't a team listed as interested.