Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1-6 here we come!!!!!
I was just declaring on another thread that I was NOT seriously suggesting tanking for a prospect, but here it sounds like that. OK, but think of another effect: if this team blows apart at a level like 4-12 or worse, we're probably not just looking at a high pick, but very likely a coaching change. I know, they gave Zimmer an extension...means NOTHING in the NFL. The Wilfs have fired both their previous coaches within a year of giving an extension. They were hanging Zimmer by a thread before he won the wildcard game in New Orleans last year and they dragged their feet about an extension. If they considered dumping him last year because he "only" beat losing teams, they will be ready after a season of double-digit losses.
But maybe that's what some people are really advocating in saying, "if they aren't good they may as well be really bad"...8 or 9 wins is always just enough to keep doing the same things that have been tried over and over.

When you lose a game like that...there's enough blame to go around for everybody.

Quote: @TBro said:
@StickyBun said:
@TBro said:
@StickyBun said:
@purplefaithful said:
If we're going to suck, make it a #1 overall pick suck.  Might as well go for Lawrence. 

I dont think we're that bad, as much as I hate having GB being a better team again. 
Agreed. If the Vikings are going to suck, then suck in epic fashion. Draft one of the top 4 QBs and let that dude sit for a year. But like you I don't think Minnesota is going to turn out to be a top 10 bad team. I like Cousins and have said as much, but he's the last of a dying breed of immobile QBs with average arm strength and below average running ability. Look at how Green Bay pulled the trigger on Love. 

Anyway, Vikes need to fix that defense first. 
Cousin's needs to elevate the players around him, especially our receivers besides Thielen in order for this Passing game to be successful. I have yet to see him do that. Thielen and Diggs were already good receivers when he got here. Without a consistent option as a #2 and #3, this offense will also be an issue besides our defensive woes. Where were the TE's yesterday in the game plan? 3 total passes between Rudolph and Smith? With an offense struggling to move the ball, how do you not get your TE's involved when your receivers are not getting open? Using them to move the chains and gain some Time of Possession would have been a smart approach yesterday. Kubiak hardly used 3 wides against the Pack. Is our line that bad we can't release the TE's for a route? There was zero creativity yesterday as Cousins was scrambling for his life hoping his 2 receivers would get open down field. 
With all that aside, Cousins isn't the reason we lost by any stretch of the imagination. The Packers scored 43 points. Rodgers had over 300 yards passing and 4 TDs. 
I understand and agree with you, but the offense didn't do the defense any favors after their first scoring drive. They lost the time of possession battle by a 3-1 margin since they couldn't sustain any drives, gave up a momentum changing safety after a great 4th down stop, and Cousins threw a costly pick with a horrible throw at the end of the half that absolutely destroyed this team's confidence. As much as the D was to blame for Rodgers' performance, the offense is equally to blame for their inability to exert any control over keeping Rodgers on the sideline and minimize his opportunities. 
That sequence (safety and INT) was the turning point in the game.  The defense was actually holding up pretty well considering we have the Packers 2 free first downs by jumping offsides with no crowd noise.  After that, Rodgers finally threw two passes down field and hit Davante for a TD (amazing throw) and MVS after the interception.

I don't think the Vikings are going to go 1-6 to start...  but we will if we don't play good complementary football.  The offense made two critical turnovers and couldn't sustain drives in the first half which led to bad field position and a defense that was on the field most of the first half.  This team is at its best when it's doing what the Packers did...  Ball control offense, hit on some big plays with PA, and get off the field on 3rd down.

Hard to make any definitive statements after Week 1, even in a normal year.

Not going to worry too much. 1st game - no preseason. I think you will see a lot of weird/bad/amazing games the first 3-4 weeks for all teams. No way to really know what we have until week 4. This is the one year I could see a team starting 2-4 and then come on like gang busters and finish 10-6 / 11-5. This is going to be a very strange year.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
Maybe they can get Indy but we'll see. 
 Hope so.

Loser is gonna be 0-2.

That safety wasn't on Cousins. The play calling was highly questionable. Kubiak better find his game. Our O-line is still iffy, and not getting our TE's involved was baffling. Biggest issue by far was our defense and anyone not named Kendricks. Barr is hot garbage, as is anyone playing DT. I expected trouble on the corners but the rest is inexcusable.

All that said Phillip Rivers was done 2 years ago, and might actually give our db's some confidence.

Oh c'mon! 1-6???? You need a dose of reality. What did you see yesterday that gave you the slightest hope this team can win a game!?? 

posted this on another board;
With 15 draft picks they can go very young and get those young players some NFL experience.  You can identify who is worth keeping going forward.  

With Hunter ailing you can take your time bringing him back and build your defense around him and Kendricks going forward.

Get Dye on the field at LB, get him experience and see what potential he has, Wilson looked terrible and will never be more than a back up and spot player.  

Harris is over 30 and on a 1 year franchise deal so his departure frees up $12M = Cap savings $$$.

Reiff is very likely in his last year so lets get Cleveland in there now, Reiff gone at the end of the year = more Cap savings $$$.  Get Samia and Uda on the field and get them playing time, they certainly cannot be much worse than the current guards...

Get Jefferson and Irv more playing time, Rudy is likely gone next year moving forward = more Cap savings $$$.

With very young CBs you will be lucky to be able to stop top QBs from throwing on the Vikings D, even more so with a poor pass rush.  

With the Pandemic this year, it offers a great opportunity to totally flip the roster in what will most probably be an asterisk year.  The NFL seems to be a league where you need a Top QB on a Rookie deal to have a real shot at the Championship.

Lastly with all the protesting, rioting, social justice, PC bull crap, the team and league are pushing fans away this year anyway.  Go ahead, rip the band aid off and lets get set up for the next decade.

Will being really bad suck?  off course but I can't think of a better year to do it and get one of the best pro prospects in years.  The Vikings could be back in the payoffs as contenders in 2 years.

If there's a time to suck for the Vikings, its this year: 2021 has 5 pretty damn good QB prospects as it stands right now:
  • Trevor Lawrence
  • Justin Fields
  • Trey Lance
  • Kyle Trask
  • Jamie Newman

Quote: @rf54 said:
posted this on another board;
With 15 draft picks they can go very young and get those young players some NFL experience.  You can identify who is worth keeping going forward.  

With Hunter ailing you can take your time bringing him back and build your defense around him and Kendricks going forward.

Get Dye on the field at LB, get him experience and see what potential he has, Wilson looked terrible and will never be more than a back up and spot player.  

Harris is over 30 and on a 1 year franchise deal so his departure frees up $12M = Cap savings $$$.

Reiff is very likely in his last year so lets get Cleveland in there now, Reiff gone at the end of the year = more Cap savings $$$.  Get Samia and Uda on the field and get them playing time, they certainly cannot be much worse than the current guards...

Get Jefferson and Irv more playing time, Rudy is likely gone next year moving forward = more Cap savings $$$.

With very young CBs you will be lucky to be able to stop top QBs from throwing on the Vikings D, even more so with a poor pass rush.  

With the Pandemic this year, it offers a great opportunity to totally flip the roster in what will most probably be an asterisk year.  The NFL seems to be a league where you need a Top QB on a Rookie deal to have a real shot at the Championship.

Lastly with all the protesting, rioting, social justice, PC bull crap, the team and league are pushing fans away this year anyway.  Go ahead, rip the band aid off and lets get set up for the next decade.

Will being really bad suck?  off course but I can't think of a better year to do it and get one of the best pro prospects in years.  The Vikings could be back in the payoffs as contenders in 2 years.
I see both sides of the argument so I don't disagree with you, but if the Vikings were actually going to do this, they should have already done it. If the FO wanted to tank then every vet name you mentioned could have been traded or cut this past offseason.

I guess if we start out 0-6 or something crazy that might force the Vikings' hand, but more likely we'll win this week and get back on track for a middle-of-the-road season, guaranteeing us a couple more years of Kirk and Zim. I've wanted the Vikings to draft a rookie QB since the day Teddy got hurt and have posted my frustrations about it many times, but there are worse things than stability I guess. At least we aren't the Lions.