Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reiff approached about pay cut
Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Sounds like we should not count on Ezra for anything this season but redshirt...
Its interesting. When he was drafted, all the draftniks assumed it was for OT. I never once heard the Vikings say that, but I could be wrong about that. I read a very detailed draft profile on him from a top website and they said OG was going to be his best spot in the NFL. 

Doesn't sound like Reiff is in the building again today per Wolfson.  Wolfson is acting like he was given today to think about it, I would guess yesterday was the day to think about it and an answer has been made.  Looks like O'neill at LT and Udoh at RT for the year.  If Udoh pans out that will be very good for the vikings. To me, it looks like the vikings are looking to try to do well this year, but 2021 looks to be another good opportunity for them.  DL looks stacked.  OL is looking drastically improved, still will need to find a guard or two.  Defense should be top 5, Offense potential top 10.  

Quote: @"Kmerry82" said:
Doesn't sound like Reiff is in the building again today per Wolfson.  Wolfson is acting like he was given today to think about it, I would guess yesterday was the day to think about it and an answer has been made.  Looks like O'neill at LT and Udoh at RT for the year.  If Udoh pans out that will be very good for the vikings. To me, it looks like the vikings are looking to try to do well this year, but 2021 looks to be another good opportunity for them.  DL looks stacked.  OL is looking drastically improved, still will need to find a guard or two.  Defense should be top 5, Offense potential top 10.  
What I've heard about Reiff is he's country stubborn. I think he'll tell Minnesota to take a hike. 

Update: looks like Reiff was in the building this morning, but won't be at 2 pm practice today. Now they are saying the deadline to respond is TOMORROW, not today. Might not know until tomorrow.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Sounds like we should not count on Ezra for anything this season but redshirt...
Its interesting. When he was drafted, all the draftniks assumed it was for OT. I never once heard the Vikings say that, but I could be wrong about that. I read a very detailed draft profile on him from a top website and they said OG was going to be his best spot in the NFL. 
Most draft analysts had him pegged as a tackle, either right or left, but since he played LT at BSU, the assumption everyone made was that he was the long-term replacement for Reiff. But there were one or two draft sites I saw that thought he might be a guard in the NFL--at least at first. And the team, from Spielman to Zimmer to Kubiak, mentioned early on--I think even the day he was drafted--that guard was definitely a possibility for him. They made that very clear. 

The team may have intended to restructure Reiff all along, and so they are now sending him a message by putting O'Neill on the left and Udoh on the right. It could also be that Yannick's money forced the team to approach Reiff. And it could also be that Udoh is looking so good, it prompted them to re-think O'Neill on the left. And if that's the case, I think they low-ball Reiff knowing he won't take it, release him and move on with O'Neill and Udoh as our tackles. 

Honestly, I'm kinda rooting for that. That line in '21 has a lot of potential...

LT: O'Neill, Cleveland
LG: Cleveland, Collins
C: Bradbury, Elf
RG: Elf, Samia, Hinton
RT: Udoh, Cleveland

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

Would be interested to read that - I know the Vikings have stressed arm length for OTs and Cleveland's are a bit under 34". Very interesting, but most of us (and others) did think that OG was the team's biggest OL need, and I remember being surprised they picked an OT. But I don't remember if there were any "pure" guards still on the board when Cleveland was picked.

Posted on another thread - Vikings will have to pay O'Neill like a franchise LT, probably in 2021, so they may as well put him at LT now.

Probably the best for both the Vikings and Reiff is to go ahead and release him...this gives him time to latch onto another team and free up some much needed cash...Hell, the way this season is starting, might as well throw the young guys into the mix and see what they can do.

As many know, I'm not a Reiff fan. 

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/stat...7815090178

If he does get cut, I wonder if that frees up enough space to revisit contract talks with Cook.

Quote: @"PurpleCrush" said:
If he does get cut, I wonder if that frees up enough space to revisit contract talks with Cook.
Looks like it would free up about $7.8MM. If Dalvin does get a new deal, he wont be getting a ton this upcoming year