Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer: This year's CBs better than last year
Quote: @StickyBun said:
I don't get the worry about Dantzler's weight: CBs are there to cover. How many times does a CB have to take a RB down head on in the secondary? It's rare. Running him down is another thing, just jump on him and hang on. I'd rather see Dantzler slap a deep throw away from Golladay in the end zone then worry if he can tackle Aaron Jones head to head. 

Exactly - as I said I doubt he can or SHOULD try to "bulk up", but I also don't care. Hold on until a S or LB arrives. Darrell Green played at about 165 and was a fantastic corner.

My guess is these rookies aren't fragile and the "helmet throwing" and  mysterious "limp off's  after giving up big pass plays ,are gonna disappear, 

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@StickyBun said:
I don't get the worry about Dantzler's weight: CBs are there to cover. How many times does a CB have to take a RB down head on in the secondary? It's rare. Running him down is another thing, just jump on him and hang on. I'd rather see Dantzler slap a deep throw away from Golladay in the end zone then worry if he can tackle Aaron Jones head to head. 

Exactly - as I said I doubt he can or SHOULD try to "bulk up", but I also don't care. Hold on until a S or LB arrives. Darrell Green played at about 165 and was a fantastic corner.
If you watched Dantzler play in college, he uses the tackling technique that the Seahawks teach their CBs.  It's very effective and is actually safer than delivering hits with your shoulder pads.

I want a little of what Zimm is smoking...

Kidding, kidding - sort of. 

Those kids first game is only against Rogers in a stadium with ZERO fan din.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I want a little of what Zimm is smoking...

Kidding, kidding - sort of. 

Those kids first game is only against Rogers in a stadium with ZERO fan din.
I think the Vikings made the most out of a bad situation and did a good job of replenishing the talent at CB. Hughes, Hill, Gladney, Dantzler, & Boyd is a deep group. I am not sure that they have the same top end talent as Rhodes, Waynes, & Alexander, but I do think that they can be better than what we had last year. I do have some worries about Hughes and Hill. They have both flashed potential, but have had issues staying on the field. I am concerned about such a young group going up against a veteran QB with no preseason reps, though at least there won't be much tape on them for Rodgers to study.

I am also concerned about the DL. I think that Odenigbo has earned a starting job, but the depth at DE feels shaky and I have major concerns about 3T. Has there been any word on how James Lynch is doing? I'd be really happy if he could be a budget Hovan this year.

The "cb situation" coming off last season was unbelievable...Bad taste in my mouth with all that draft capital walking. I say that even though it was clear XR was past his prime. 

The upside looks to be there with those kids, but you can't teach experience and the DL is a big concern. Packers and Bears defenses look to be much more stout than the Vikings.

On paper? The offense is clearly the strength of the team right now. 

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@Kentis said:
The average weight of the top 25 CB’s at the 2020 combine was a shade under 195 Lbs, the Needle should be able add 7 lbs in a NFL strength program, I would think...

According to several reports around draft time (and MaroonBells described this in another thread), Dantzler played around 175 in college, put on some weight quickly to hit 195 at the combine, and ran a 4.64 at that weight. The same reports indicate he was back to 175 soon after and ran fast at his Pro Day. So - if you want him to play at 195, he probably won't be the same player.
Well, if he can get to 195 the RIGHT way (read: a couple of years in the weight room), he can do so without losing any speed. We'll see. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
The "cb situation" coming off last season was unbelievable...Bad taste in my mouth with all that draft capital walking. I say that even though it was clear XR was past his prime. 

The upside looks to be there with those kids, but you can't teach experience and the DL is a big concern. Packers and Bears defenses look to be much more stout than the Vikings.

On paper? The offense is clearly the strength of the team right now. 
I have not been a fan of how they managed CB. Letting two 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder walk stung. Rhodes at least made it to his second contract, but it was best for everyone to part ways. I'm also concerned because Hughes has two years left on his deal and there is a decent chance that he doesn't make it to a second contract. It just feels like a very inefficient strategy and it's hard for me to not think about other parts of the roster that are being neglected, because we've burned so many high round picks on corners.

The offense is their strength, though we did lose our best weapon. I think there is a chance that we can replace that production between Johnson, Jefferson, Sharpe, & Smith, but I wish they used some of their million picks on guards.

Zim, just play the best player, not the one that has been here the longest.

Barr said it at draft time, but Dantzler is a lot like Merton Hanks. Same size, same terrible 40 time. Hanks was a 4-time all pro who never had a problem with tackling. His combine was 5th round, but his tape was 1st round. We may have gotten a gift.