Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what a world we live in...
Quote: @"BigAl99" said:
I believe that it's to late for us white folk to define the solution, for this issue, we had a chance and look where we are at.  I don't have an answer for what is needed, other than I need to listen more.  The one phrase that has stuck with me is "A riot is the language of the unheard"
There was a time I would have went along with that, and in some instances maybe still would.  But now its an excuse for poor behavior for most when watching whats taking place in this country.  This isn't going to change anything for the good,  if nothing else the lawlessness and destruction in the name of race issues will only create more prejudice and anger.

MLKs peaceful approach,   while maybe not as satisfying to some affected, did more for proving the intelligence and civility of the black people than all the other protests and and forced attempts combined,  and its that approach that needs to carry the message,  not that of victim or whatever else is being peddled because I dont see where that is selling with those that need to be buying.

Lots of influential folks saying the right thing,  in an election year when the focus is on it,  i would bet a lot of money that in 12 months the concern and growth is gone.  

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"BigAl99" said:
I believe that it's to late for us white folk to define the solution, for this issue, we had a chance and look where we are at.  I don't have an answer for what is needed, other than I need to listen more.  The one phrase that has stuck with me is "A riot is the language of the unheard"
There was a time I would have went along with that, and in some instances maybe still would.  But now its an excuse for poor behavior for most when watching whats taking place in this country.  This isn't going to change anything for the good,  if nothing else the lawlessness and destruction in the name of race issues will only create more prejudice and anger.

MLKs peaceful approach,   while maybe not as satisfying to some affected, did more for proving the intelligence and civility of the black people than all the other protests and and forced attempts combined,  and its that approach that needs to carry the message,  not that of victim or whatever else is being peddled because I dont see where that is selling with those that need to be buying.

Lots of influential folks saying the right thing,  in an election year when the focus is on it,  i would bet a lot of money that in 12 months the concern and growth is gone.  
Starting with @BigAl99 's quote, here are MLK's thoughts. They're from a speech he gave in '68. 

Now I wanted to say something about the fact that we have lived over these last two or three summers with
agony and we have seen our cities going up in flames. And I would be the first to say that I am still committed
to militant, powerful, massive, non-violence as the most potent weapon in grappling with the problem from a
direct action point of view. I'm absolutely convinced that a riot merely intensifies the fears of the white
community while relieving the guilt. And I feel that we must always work with an effective, powerful weapon
and method that brings about tangible results. But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and
condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the
contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals
to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say
tonight that
a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the
promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white
society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity. 

I believe that it's to late for us white folk to define the solution for this issue, we had a chance and look where we are at.  I don't have an answer for what is needed, other than I need to listen more.  The one phrase that has stuck with me is "A riot is the language of the unheard"
At the bold... That in itself is a contribution to the solution

Quote: @"pumpf" said:
@"greediron" said:
media blackout.  I don't think it was racial but still should have raised a few headlines.
Floyd's death wasn't racial, either.  It was just an example of a cop being dumb (or, if you prefer, evil).
And how do you know it wasn’t racially motivated?  

Ignorant assumption to say the least.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"BigAl99" said:

Okay Jimmy what did you want in the OP, you want a white riot, go get the criminal, then what.  You gonna get someone in your town in South Dakota, in reaction to what you know about the case.  What if what you have heard wasn't accurate, will you want forgiveness.  The perpetrator, Cannons neighbor, who is in custody, and the Wilson police haven't released details of the motive of the killing yet.   Clue me in, what information do you have I don't?
https://www.newsweek.com/police-warn-pos...ia-1525649

Police Warn Of Posts With Fake Details Of Cannon Hinnant's Alleged Murder Being Shared On Social MediaPolice
in Wilson, North Carolina warned social media users against sharing
fraudulent Facebook posts which claim to offer details about the August 9
alleged shooting death of five-year-old Cannon Hinnant.
The
Wilson Police Department say they have been made aware of numerous
widely shared Facebook posts which fraudulently claim to have the "real
story" behind Hinnant's alleged murder. The young North Carolina boy was
allegedly shot by his neighbor, 25-year-old Darius Sessoms, as he was
playing outside with siblings. Sessoms was arrested and held by Wilson
Police last Monday, he is charged with first-degree murder and received
no bond.
One fraudulent Facebook post highlighted by Wilson Police
makes several claims about drug usage, premeditation and details of a
fight between Sessoms and Hinnant's parents the night before the
incident. All of which, the department said, is fabricated and made to
look like it came from their investigators.
A Wilson Police spokesman confirmed to Newsweek
Monday the department has been aware of fraudulent social media posts
pertaining to the alleged crime since last week. The public information
officer urged people concerned with the case to use caution before
sharing anything that didn't come directly from official Wilson Police
or City of Wilson websites, as well as mainstream and local news media
outlets.
The
alleged murder came into the national spotlight over the past week as
viral memes and Facebook posts sought to highlight the case involving a
young white victim and a Black alleged perpetrator.
Last Wednesday, Wilson Police issued a statement saying they
were aware of "numerous posts containing false information on social
media, including some posts that look like they were releases from
investigators." Wilson police say more fraudulent Facebook and social
media posts pertaining to the alleged crime continue to spread and urged
people to use good judgment before sharing anything which claims to
come from law enforcement.
"We
continue to see social media posts incorrectly including the Wilson
Police Department name that were NOT issued by our department. An
example is shown below.

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"BigAl99" said:

Okay Jimmy what did you want in the OP, you want a white riot, go get the criminal, then what.  You gonna get someone in your town in South Dakota, in reaction to what you know about the case.  What if what you have heard wasn't accurate, will you want forgiveness.  The perpetrator, Cannons neighbor, who is in custody, and the Wilson police haven't released details of the motive of the killing yet.   Clue me in, what information do you have I don't?

Police Warn Of Posts With Fake Details Of Cannon Hinnant's Alleged Murder Being Shared On Social MediaPolice
The
no bond.
outlets.
The
"We
example is shown below.

He wanted the same sympathy or good ole boy understanding that he asked for in “no ever talks about anti-Christian view points, just anti-semitism”.  It’s the typical traditional conservative retort now, “what about all lives matter” bullshit.  

It’s either he is completely oblivious to the tone deaf lack of nuance stance or he’s trolling

Quote: @"Skodin" said:
@"BigAl99" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"BigAl99" said:

The
no bond.
outlets.
The
"We
example is shown below.

He wanted the same sympathy or good ole boy understanding that he asked for in “no ever talks about anti-Christian view points, just anti-semitism”.  It’s the typical traditional conservative retort now, “what about all lives matter” bullshit.  

It’s either he is completely oblivious to the tone deaf lack of nuance stance or he’s trolling

I think it's oblivious and sincere, very comfortable.  

Victim blaming is so 'in' for the Right. 

Quote: @"SFVikeFan" said:
@"pumpf" said:
@"greediron" said:
media blackout.  I don't think it was racial but still should have raised a few headlines.
Floyd's death wasn't racial, either.  It was just an example of a cop being dumb (or, if you prefer, evil).
And how do you know it wasn’t racially motivated?  

Ignorant assumption to say the least.
Chauvin had 17 (yup 17) prior complaints against him before being put in a training position and then killing Floyd by strangulating him for 8 minutes in broad daylight...

And there was a bad history between Chauvin and Floyd working at the same night-club too. So there is a personal element that will come-out when the trial begins. 

There IS A PATTERN in those 17 priors if you want to find it. 

Floyd was just the latest in a long line of unarmed black men and women killed by the people we employ to protect and serve. Many with long histories of abuse. There have been hundreds. It's out of control, people are sick of it and that's what the protests are about. Understandable by any clear-thinking person. 

The kid who was shot by his neighbor is an incredibly sad story. Who knows what's behind that. What motivating factor compels one to shoot a little boy!!? Vengeance? Mental illness? I guess it's possible, but I can't imagine race being a factor here.

So to whine about the "lack of coverage," and draw some sort of equivalency between Cannon and Floyd is just...sickening. 

Jimmy, you want to go protest, go protest. But I can't imagine what your sign is going to say.