Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what a world we live in...
where a career criminals death,  undeniably unjustly killed by law enforcement,  creates months of riots, looting, and other based on accusations of race despite the fact that the victim and criminal had previous altercations,  and the victim was known to be high on drugs... how that rocks this nation to its core, with the affects still being felt in areas months later because of the race angle... 

but yet a black man walking up to a innocent 4 year old white boy and shooting him in the head for no apparent reason hardly raises a discussion.  no protests or riots that I have heard,  no calls for reforms, no politicians angling to be the ones at the funeral podium trying to use this as an election year tool.

what happened to George Floyd was tragic,  but he was a bad person that had a bad thing happen to him.  Cannon Hinnant was an innocent little boy who was sickeningly murdered for no other reason than what?  he was white,  he was a convenient target?  what could that boy have done to be murdered like that and the country barely raises an eyebrow?

we wont find racial peace until there is one set of rules for all, regardless of race.

media blackout.  I don't think it was racial but still should have raised a few headlines.

Quote: @greediron said:
media blackout.  I don't think it was racial but still should have raised a few headlines.
Floyd's death wasn't racial, either.  It was just an example of a cop being dumb (or, if you prefer, evil).

Quote: @greediron said:

It was covered by the local media the day it happened just like the Floyd murder (the floyd murder gathered steam quickly after because of the video). The national media picked up the story later just like below
Quote:...Meanwhile, conservatives on social media (including Donald Trump Jr.were claiming that large news media outlets were ignoring Hinnant’s story, but as of Monday, The Washington Post, The New York Times, CNN, the Associated Press, People, USA Today, The Daily Beast and Buzzfeed News have posted stories about the murder, along with local affiliates for CBS, NBC, Fox and others.

Source: Forbes.com

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
where a career criminals death,  undeniably unjustly killed by law enforcement,  creates months of riots, looting, and other based on accusations of race despite the fact that the victim and criminal had previous altercations,  and the victim was known to be high on drugs... how that rocks this nation to its core, with the affects still being felt in areas months later because of the race angle... 

but yet a black man walking up to a innocent 4 year old white boy and shooting him in the head for no apparent reason hardly raises a discussion.  no protests or riots that I have heard,  no calls for reforms, no politicians angling to be the ones at the funeral podium trying to use this as an election year tool.

what happened to George Floyd was tragic,  but he was a bad person that had a bad thing happen to him.  Cannon Hinnant was an innocent little boy who was sickeningly murdered for no other reason than what?  he was white,  he was a convenient target?  what could that boy have done to be murdered like that and the country barely raises an eyebrow?

we wont find racial peace until there is one set of rules for all, regardless of race.
At the bold. That is what everyone is asking. So long as we as a people stop finding ways to rationalize/justify one situation over another. All should be equal under the law.

Quote: @mblack said:
@JimmyinSD said:

At the bold. That is what everyone is asking. So long as we as a people stop finding ways to rationalize/justify one situation over another. All should be equal under the law.
who is asking for one rule for all?   seems that there are plenty that are calling for new rules for minorities,  reparations and so on....   racial equality cant be legislated anymore than it can brought about by screaming kids throwing violent temper tantrums.

@mblack said:
@JimmyinSD said:

who is asking for one rule for all?   seems that there are plenty that are calling for new rules for minorities,  reparations and so on....   racial equality cant be legislated anymore than it can brought about by screaming kids throwing violent temper tantrums.
That's news to me. Maybe I am wrong. I thought people were asking is that minorities be treated the same as "whites" and not be prejudged while using current events as examples of a pattern. The issue in itself is not just in the fact that the rules are wrong but lies in
  1. The way they are applied... losely to one group and to the full extent to others.
  2. The assumption that people of a certain race by default are guilty once accused.
The process should be uniform and consistent across the board regardless of race. I bet you every race can find examples against another (some more than others) but that is where the law or consistency comes in hence my point above. Admitting that we are not perfect and our country is not perfect would be the first step but if we cant even acknowledge that then we are wasting our time.

One's freedom goes only as far as it is a threat to another person's freedom. So there no such thing like "just live with it" or "that is the way it is" yet we expect others to "just live with it" or accept the uncomfortable/unfair status quo because it does not affect us.
Sorry for my rant

Is this a horrible story?  Absolutely.  Was the killer a disgusting human being?  Absolutely

Did they catch the man who did it?  Yes 
Did they arrest and charge him with murder? Yes
Is he going to jail? Forever

Why do we need this protest, diatribe, soap box?

The criminal justice system did it’s job.  This POS who murdered this innocent kid is NOT A PAID CIVIL SERVANT who need to trust to keep social order.  

You see why some people are sick of shitty cops and a shitty unfair system, because it will BREAK and when it does, there will be more tragic stories of Cannon Hinnant, Elijah McClain.

The story was covered by everyone, justice was served.  

Would we be seeing this post if Cannon was Camron and this was south side Chicago?  Doubtful

@mblack said:
@JimmyinSD said:

There is certainly historical legislation that has made a difference when it comes to racial equality. The reference to legislation reminds me of this MLK quote: 

“It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that’s pretty important.”

What are all of these new rules just for minorities? 

I believe that it's to late for us white folk to define the solution for this issue, we had a chance and look where we are at.  I don't have an answer for what is needed, other than I need to listen more.  The one phrase that has stuck with me is "A riot is the language of the unheard"