Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panthers Reset RB Market
Cook is nowhere close to CMC.

CMC played over 90% of the snaps with over 100+ catches the last two yrs. He had 70% snaps and 80 catches his first y.

Cook has not played over 53% of the snaps ever and had his 53 catches last yr which were his most.

I mean, it is not even close.

give Cookie 24 mil guaranteed for 3 years . if thats not good then play out your rook deal and lets see how Mattison fares this year

I can't imagine this deal will be all that bad once the detail come in. Like all contracts, that is what will matter. There is no way the Panthers could make this deal now unless it benefited them greatly in one of two ways. 1) the guarantees only run through 2021 (which was the case now). Or 2) They get a significant discount on his 5th year option, which I think is less likely. 

After you factor some of the signing bonus in this is likely going to be a 2.5 year deal with team options in 2023-2025. Its what the Rams attempted with Gurley.. get out of the guaranteed money while the player is still younger. Issue is you can't predict an arthritic knee. If not for that they deal he signed would have been rather beneficial long-term. 

Christian McCaffrey is two players. He’s both a RB and a WO. Cook is a great back, but he’s nowhere near CMC.

If Cook demands $16 million, I’d honestly consider trading him. Of course I don’t think anyone else would be offering up that bounty either. There’s no way the team can pay that kind of money at that position. Or even close to it realistically. I’ve gotta think Guru is right and it’s the usual type of inflated contract. 

McCaffrey has been insanely productive and most importantly, healthy.  Cook has been productive when healthy  but not at McCaffrey's level. 

Adrian Peterson's extension in 2011 was way ahead of it's time.  

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
I can't imagine this deal will be all that bad once the detail come in. Like all contracts, that is what will matter. There is no way the Panthers could make this deal now unless it benefited them greatly in one of two ways. 1) the guarantees only run through 2021 (which was the case now). Or 2) They get a significant discount on his 5th year option, which I think is less likely. 

After you factor some of the signing bonus in this is likely going to be a 2.5 year deal with team options in 2023-2025. Its what the Rams attempted with Gurley.. get out of the guaranteed money while the player is still younger. Issue is you can't predict an arthritic knee. If not for that they deal he signed would have been rather beneficial long-term. 
Definitely some devil in the details now that they're in. 

It comes out to be a 3 year deal with team options for 2023-2025. They also got a proration shell year in 2025 to decrease the 2023 & 2024 cap hits if they keep him. The new deal trumps his 5th year option but he gets more cash this year. But in 2021 on what would have been his 5th year option the Panthers save about $2M in cash. 

People will dispute paying RB's, but this is a very strong contract for the Panthers that adds money to McCaffrey's durable years while allowing them outs if he declines with age.