Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panthers Reset RB Market
[Image: Carolina%20Panthers_0.png]
Panthers signed RB Christian McCaffrey to a four-year contract extension through 2024. Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, the deal is worth $16 million per year, making McCaffrey the highest-paid running back in NFL history. It was an inauspicious time for CMC's contract to come due after a recent spate of running back deal mega-busts, but McCaffrey is no ordinary runner, and he is still two months shy of his 24th birthday. That combination of youth and unique skill-set always made McCaffrey more likely to get paid than most. It is surprising the deal was finalized at this moment in time, but the Panthers clearly wanted to make a commitment to their offensive engine as they embark on a reset. McCaffrey is coming off a campaign where he became just the third player in NFL history to reach 1,000 yards rushing and receiving in the same season. He has averaged 4.7 yards per carry and 8.3 yards per reception for his career. Especially considering the absurd amount of passes he catches for a running back, that second number is extra impressive. Even with Cam Newton out and Teddy Bridgewater in, CMC has the strongest claim to No. 1 overall status in 2020. 

ugh...

A profoundly stupid contract...franchise tag value for RBs was $10.2 million...

Bye, Dalvin...

I like Cook, but I don't think he's worth that money (especially for a RB). CMC is a top 3 back imo, also.

the availability of RBs coupled with the lack of huge drop off from the best to the next tier down has me questioning paying any of them over about 9 million a year.

Cook under contract for 1 more year
Mattison for 3
Boone is a RFA in 2021

First off, Cook isn't as good as McCaffrey.  He has the potential to be, but he just isn't as of yet.  That said, someone will pay Cook too much.  That McCaffrey contract is too much for any RB.  I'd consider tagging him for a one year rental, but I can't commit to something close to that large.  $8M feels tolerable to me.  If we get to $10M, I'd rather just spend that money elsewhere.

Dont throw tomatoes and you can call me crazy. But with the cap increasing as it will, I think they (The Vikings) would go up to 12mm with incentives. I'm sure Dalvin is smiling today, no doubt. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Dont throw tomatoes and you can call me crazy. But with the cap increasing as it will, I think they (The Vikings) would go up to 12mm with incentives. I'm sure Dalvin is smiling today, no doubt. 
will it?  what will all this virus stuff do to the profitability of the league for a year or two?  I wouldnt be over paying anybody based on the cap going up until we know how this thing resets the leagues revenues.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
will it?  what will all this virus stuff do to the profitability of the league for a year or two?  I wouldnt be over paying anybody based on the cap going up until we know how this thing resets the leagues revenues.
Virus, shmirus...At the end of the day? This is just another influenza   :p