Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Jefferson is taken by the Eagles at 21, what is your contingency plan?
By my count, there's approximately 73 WRs after Jefferson that would be excellent value outside of the first.

My count might be off a bit, but there are so many WRs available I wouldn't be too disappointed if we didn't land a guy in the first. 

Quote: @"TBro" said:
I think we all agree that we need to add a starting WR from this draft and I don't see the Vikings
trading up to get one in a very deep WR class. The question is, if Jefferson is gone by 22, who do
you grab, what do you like about your pick for the Vikings offense, and what round will you pull
the trigger on the 2nd Tier WR prospects? Trades are allowed, but you must match pick values.

Curious what your draft strategies would be, and in full disclosure I'm very bored at the moment. 
Right now I am liking Mims better then Jefferson so I would take him at 22

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"TBro" said:
I think we all agree that we need to add a starting WR from this draft and I don't see the Vikings
trading up to get one in a very deep WR class. The question is, if Jefferson is gone by 22, who do
you grab, what do you like about your pick for the Vikings offense, and what round will you pull
the trigger on the 2nd Tier WR prospects? Trades are allowed, but you must match pick values.

Curious what your draft strategies would be, and in full disclosure I'm very bored at the moment. 
If you really like Mims, I think you can wait until 25, or even do a small trade down to late in the first/early 2nd and still grab him. 

Quote: @"TBro" said:
@"minny65" said:
@"TBro" said:

If you really like Mims, I think you can wait until 25, or even do a small trade down to late in the first/early 2nd and still grab him. 
Maybe.  But It really depends on who else is remaining of course at 22,23,24,25.  I like Mims enough right now to take him at 22 with no dilly dally but if you have a stud IDL or OL then I would them and grab Mim's at 25.  

I would be pizzed if Mims fell to the Drama queen Rodgers and the Fudge.  

For what it's worth, I REALLY do not want us to waste a first round pick on a receiver.  I think that we can get comparable (or even better) production in the 3rd or 4th round.

Take best DL at 22

Trade down from 25 (Plus a 4th) to 34 and 44 with Indy, draft WR at 34, CB at 44, grab Johnson from UMN with the comp 3rd round pick

Two DL, two WR, one CB in first 3 rounds

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
By my count, there's approximately 73 WRs after Jefferson that would be excellent value outside of the first.

My count might be off a bit, but there are so many WRs available I wouldn't be too disappointed if we didn't land a guy in the first. 
I see about 10 who have 1st or 2nd round talent. That list ends with guys like Pittman, Claypool, depending on how you have them ranked. Then another tier of maybe 5 or 6 or so. Tyler Johnson, DPJ, AGG, Van, Collin, Edwards...but in my opinion, that's where the specialness of this WR class ends. After that, it doesn't look much different than other classes of WRs. To take advantage of this class, Vikings have to get one in the 1st two rounds IMO. They can take another one later, but they definitely want to tap into the meat of the order.

Tap into the meat you say.

Too many suggestions about standing Pat at 22 and trading down out of 25 to load up.

The Team lost 2 DEs, 2 Safeties, 3 CBs, an RG and a WR. They also need a true 3T and LG. Not all the lost need replacing. For example, Samia is expected to take Kline's spot. And obviously they weren't all Starters.

But that's still at least 8 Players needing to be replaced. With very little cap space. Folks, as good as Spielman has been he's not landing that many contributors in a single Draft. Not even if he had 15 picks. It's a completely unrealistic ask. Hell, just coming away with 2 backup Safeties and 2 developmental DEs is a tall order.

This is a 2 year retool. Accept it. And once you truly do consider my point of view. Minnesota has 2 picks in the 1st Round, but they're both highly likely to be out of range to get a Blue Chip Prospect. 

Trade Up! Use 22 and the 2nd to get high enough to get Kinlaw or an OT like Thomas or Wills. Get as close to a sure thing as you can and put a crucial position on lockdown for the next 7+ years.

Imagine having a Franchise LT. One who could either immediately force Reiff off of the Roster or marinate at LG for a year. Imagine having Richardson's pass rush up the gut without the awful run defense. 

You can still load up on your Tier 2 Prospects by moving back from 25 and try to plug all the holes, as unlikely as that is. But for goodness sake let's fix a Tackle spot!

As for WRs, there's an absolute gap between Justin Jefferson and the next crop of guys like Mims, Shenault, Aiyuk, VJ, Reagor, etc. Just like there's a gap between them and Johnson and Cephus et al. JJ belongs in the conversation with Lamb/Jeudy/Ruggs and I personally have him over Ruggs, who isn't exactly a master of the Route Tree.

And speaking of that Tree, Mims has run about as much of it as Will Fullet did. He's got a measurably higher ceiling but that same lower floor because of it. Fuller was not worth a 1st so far in his career. I like Mims a lot more but I would be terrified of taking him on the 1st.

Finally, in a historic WR Class you might want to think long and hard about taking two. Bisi is a WR4. Bebe is always hurt. Hollis is project. Sharpe is a flyer. Thielen is over 30 and coming off the type of injury that tends to recur in aging Receivers. Why not take advantage of the unique group of double dip?

Quote: @"Skodin" said:
Take best DL at 22

Trade down from 25 (Plus a 4th) to 34 and 44 with Indy, draft WR at 34, CB at 44, grab Johnson from UMN with the comp 3rd round pick

Two DL, two WR, one CB in first 3 rounds
I think that is a sound plan. I'm a big Epenesa fan, but Gross-Matos would be nice addition as well. I think the key to our secondary is improving the pass rush as I don't see any lock down corners after Henderson that is worthy of wasting a first round pick on. Same goes for Jefferson. We can find starters in the 3rd for both CB, WR, and Interior OLine with your trade down scenario.