Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Jefferson is taken by the Eagles at 21, what is your contingency plan?
I think we all agree that we need to add a starting WR from this draft and I don't see the Vikings
trading up to get one in a very deep WR class. The question is, if Jefferson is gone by 22, who do
you grab, what do you like about your pick for the Vikings offense, and what round will you pull
the trigger on the 2nd Tier WR prospects? Trades are allowed, but you must match pick values.

Curious what your draft strategies would be, and in full disclosure I'm very bored at the moment. 

Jump to #20 overall... Smile

Screw em out of Jefferson like we did Cook.

unless a blue chip falls into our lap,  I would like to flip one our firsts for a first rounder next year with a perennial underachiever like Cincy ( in addition to one of their day 2 picks this year most likely their 3rd round selection) ,   and the other one I would like to trade to Indy for their 2 early 2nd rounders.  ( of course we would have to give back something to make the value work ) 

other wise if Love were to drop,  him... just to keep him from getting to the packers.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Jump to #20 overall... Smile

Screw em out of Jefferson like we did Cook.
Assuming you could get Jacksonville to agree, You would be giving up 22 and our comp pick at 105 in the third to offer a fair trade. In the Third round, I think we can find two starting players with our 3rd round picks to fill holes so I would be hesitant to take that path, but I appreciate your aggressiveness. 

I can't really see moving up unless it's to fix one of the Lines with Kinlaw or one of the Big 4 OTs. But I absolutely think the Iggles will mess with my night by picking him right before it's Minnesota's turn.

I credit BN and others for turning me on to Van Jefferson. Who is likely there in the 3rd. He does some similar things to what Diggs provided and satisfies the #1 need in replacing Stefon, have the ability to take the top off of a Defense. 

If Cephus or Johnson are there in the 4th, and it's likely one or both is, I get a 2nd WR to complete the revamped Corps. Thielen, Van Jefferson, Cephus (or Johnson), Sharpe, Bisi Johnson and Hollis. Plus Bebe if he can ever stay healthy. That's good enough in terms of vets, youth and developmental guys.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
unless a blue chip falls into our lap,  I would like to flip one our firsts for a first rounder next year with a perennial underachiever like Cincy ( in addition to one of their day 2 picks this year most likely their 3rd round selection) ,   and the other one I would like to trade to Indy for their 2 early 2nd rounders.  ( of course we would have to give back something to make the value work ) 

other wise if Love were to drop,  him... just to keep him from getting to the packers.
If you can pull off one of your trade scenarios, would you use the other first rounder we have on a receiver or address that in a different round? I like Love, and if we didn't have guaranteed money with Kirk, I think he would be a good value in the late first, but we are stuck with him for the next three years whether we like it or not. 

Quote: @TBro said:
@JimmyinSD said:

If you can pull off one of your trade scenarios, would you use the other first rounder we have on a receiver or address that in a different round? I like Love, and if we didn't have guaranteed money with Kirk, I think he would be a good value in the late first, but we are stuck with him for the next three years whether we like it or not. 
we can move on from KC after 2 years, (if we hit that 3rd year we are screwed),   and I would want to be ready to do that.   

As far as a WR in the first... nope.  To much talent there to jump early.  I think we are going to be to far back to really get a tier one guy at any position so I would prefer to add some extra tier 2 guys by dropping down about 10 spots or so and adding the extra picks.

Quote: @TBro said:
@JimmyinSD said:

I'm ok letting a qb marinate a year or so...As long as they are convicted, and not in a Ponder way either. I'm sure someone will offer-up the opinion why trust RS on a qb now? After how he's crapped the bed historically. They might be right. 

Quote: @FSUVike said:
I can't really see moving up unless it's to fix one of the Lines with Kinlaw or one of the Big 4 OTs. But I absolutely think the Iggles will mess with my night by picking him right before it's Minnesota's turn.

I credit BN and others for turning me on to Van Jefferson. Who is likely there in the 3rd. He does some similar things to what Diggs provided and satisfies the #1 need in replacing Stefon, have the ability to take the top off of a Defense. 

If Cephus or Johnson are there in the 4th, and it's likely one or both is, I get a 2nd WR to complete the revamped Corps. Thielen, Van Jefferson, Cephus (or Johnson), Sharpe, Bisi Johnson and Hollis. Plus Bebe if he can ever stay healthy. That's good enough in terms of vets, youth and developmental guys.
I like your approach. I'm fine taking Jefferson at 22 or 25, but I'm not going to give up assets to get him when there are plenty of options in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round. I really like the playmaking ability of Reagor from TCU. He's the kind of explosive Wideout I think we lack in this offense now that Diggs is gone. Mims would also be an option earlier in the 2nd with one of your trade down scenarios. Coming back with Johnson or Cephus in the 4th per your plan would add a better WR than what we have with Bisi Johnson IMO. Maybe he will have a breakout year in season two, but he disappeared in way too many games for us last year to be counted on game in game out. 

I like Michael Pittman in the 2nd round...  probably need to trade up from 58 (or down from 25), but that is my guy in the next tier of WRs outside of the Big 4.  Aiyuk is another who has good upside and a relatively safe floor.

Otherwise, shotgun approach in the 3rd-7th rounds.  Maybe a guy like Claypool slips into the 3rd or 4th round because teams aren't sure what position he'll play (WR or TE)...  maybe Van Jefferson slips into the 5th round because he'll be 24 this summer (old for a rookie)...  Tyler Johnson has a nice ceiling, but he played in Minnesota and has questions about his explosiveness... 

Gandy-Golden is another guy I like... he could take over the redzone role from Rudy when he retires.  Big target who can play above the rim downfield.  He reminds me a lot of Kenny Golladay when he came out...

There are a lot of options for the Vikings to consider.