Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RELIEF BILL
Your data is worthless unless it is collated and normalized. That is why those companies are making money. Raw data is junk.

Quote: @Max said:
I can address one aspect of this: why do you give money to people making $150K? a few reasons...

First, $150K goes a lot further in some places than it does in others. It's too difficult to calculate, so it actually ends up being cheaper just to give it to everyone rather than trying to figure out the 25% of people who don't need it.

Second, $150K sounds like a lot, but if you have someone with a few kids, that money goes fast.

Third, and most importantly, this is an economic STIMULUS package. The point is to get people spending money again. Does someone making $150K NEED that thousand bucks? Maybe, maybe not. But what I can tell you is that most people will likely hold off on spending for: vacations, home improvement, appliances, and other large purchases over the next 6-12 months out of an abundance of caution (good for them). This package isn't just to get people to pay their bills... it is to get them buying cars and going to Disney World again. If that doesn't happen fast, that's how we get into a real recession.

Generally, I am against these sorts of things, but they do make some sense in certain situations.
If they intended it to stimulate they would wait until this thing is over,  they are giving it out to help people that are losing income during it so they can make ends meet. 

Stimulus money given to the general public when they are supposed to be social distancing and self quarantining would be an asinine concept IMO.

I also don't think it's the govts job to stimulate through taxes.  It's their job to remove barriers to a better economy and then let things take off IMO.  Putting fake money into a poorly constructed or damaged economy is like pumping blood into a victim without repairing the wounds.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Max said:
I can address one aspect of this: why do you give money to people making $150K? a few reasons...

First, $150K goes a lot further in some places than it does in others. It's too difficult to calculate, so it actually ends up being cheaper just to give it to everyone rather than trying to figure out the 25% of people who don't need it.

Second, $150K sounds like a lot, but if you have someone with a few kids, that money goes fast.

Third, and most importantly, this is an economic STIMULUS package. The point is to get people spending money again. Does someone making $150K NEED that thousand bucks? Maybe, maybe not. But what I can tell you is that most people will likely hold off on spending for: vacations, home improvement, appliances, and other large purchases over the next 6-12 months out of an abundance of caution (good for them). This package isn't just to get people to pay their bills... it is to get them buying cars and going to Disney World again. If that doesn't happen fast, that's how we get into a real recession.

Generally, I am against these sorts of things, but they do make some sense in certain situations.
If they intended it to stimulate they would wait until this thing is over,  they are giving it out to help people that are losing income during it so they can make ends meet. 

Stimulus money given to the general public when they are supposed to be social distancing and self quarantining would be an asinine concept IMO.

I also don't think it's the govts job to stimulate through taxes.  It's their job to remove barriers to a better economy and then let things take off IMO.  Putting fake money into a poorly constructed or damaged economy is like pumping blood into a victim without repairing the wounds.
I agree with you, I was just providing the reasoning behind it, not condoning it. 

So we'll get $3400, that wont cover lost business on my side of our family income let alone my wife's.  This will however add security to know that we can cover basic bills for awhile.  I'm just thankful I made the decision to essentially shrink and simplify my business and remove employees and most overhead several years back. 

Here's what bugs me. 

Many of us will get a couple thousand bucks. I don't need it. I'm still employed. My paychecks are still coming every two weeks.  I'm paying my mortgage, I'm paying my bills, I'm buying groceries. You give me a check for $2K I'll just put it in savings or pay off debt. It won't do anything for me, or the economy. Nothing. 

There is an element to this that boosts unemployment payments $600 a month. Now THAT is who needs it. And if I lose my job, that's when I will need it too. Not until then. But $600 a month is not going to do anything. The unemployed should receive the BULK of this stimulus, not a fraction. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Here's what bugs me. 

Many of us will get a couple thousand bucks. I don't need it. I'm still employed. My paychecks are still coming every two weeks.  I'm paying my mortgage, I'm paying my bills, I'm buying groceries. You give me a check for $2K I'll just put it in savings or pay off debt. It won't do anything for me, or the economy. Nothing. 

There is an element to this that boosts unemployment payments $600 a month. Now THAT is who needs it. And if I lose my job, that's when I will need it too. Not until then. But $600 a month is not going to do anything. The unemployed should receive the BULK of this stimulus, not a fraction. 
Well you could donate it to a worthy cause, my wife and I have already discussed it, and have decided.  Planned Parenthood, with special recognition to Mike Pence, want them to send him a Thank You note for his help. 

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
@MaroonBells said:
Here's what bugs me. 

Well you could donate it to a worthy cause, my wife and I have already discussed it, and have decided.  Planned Parenthood, with special recognition to Mike Pence, want them to send him a Thank You note for his help. 
Or a local food bank to help do what it was intended to do in the first place...

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
@MaroonBells said:
Here's what bugs me. 

Not a bad idea. But I remember what it was like to be unemployed. I had two 3-year olds at the time. And the panic was intense. My gut tells me that's where the money needs to go. There are millions...MILLIONS of folks out there right now with kids, and bills to pay and nowhere to turn. That's where I will be trying to help. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@BigAl99 said:
@MaroonBells said:
Here's what bugs me. 

Or a local food bank to help do what it was intended to do in the first place...

Exactly, the cause I choose I see as doing a lot more than being a last choice alternative, they provide health care and education, that's what we support.  Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day,teach him and he can take care of himself.  Health care does the same cure him for a day, and education gives a path to a better future. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Here's what bugs me. 

Im a 1099 worker. We dont qualify for unemployment. Ill take some help.