Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So... CB talk
We might be forced to keep Ant-man.  If we could get a reasonable, back-loaded deal... maybe?
Obviously our CBs (this year) aren't going to be taking up much of our salary cap... so maybe we can afford to keep Ant (at least for 1 year)?

Quote: @jargomcfargo said:
@StickyBun said:
Rhodes is like a ghost.....is anyone looking at him? Has his play fallen that far off the table?
Quote: @StickyBun said:
Rhodes is like a ghost.....is anyone looking at him? Has his play fallen that far off the table?
His decline started in 2018 and Zimmer gambled on his return to form last year. It didn't pay off.
If the financial hit isn't horrible they should try to trade him, then cut him if they get no takers. Maybe Rick could get one of those precious 7th round picks for him, or a ham sandwich!
they cut him a week ago,  but as we have almost zero experience in the backfield I think he might be worth a cheap offer,  especially if Zimmer is going to be switching up his system to something that Rhodes is able to fit into better.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
Depends on price but I wouldn't 100% write it off. But if you poll some personnel guys around the league... he dropped off dramatically. Lots of hesitation to give him much of a deal elsewhere. 
theres no question his performance declined biggly (thats just a fun word isnt it?) anywho,  do they think its a physical thing or a mental issue?   I am guessing that they must think its more physical since most coaches think they can fix mental issues.
I think it's a matter of both. He looked slow at times and then there were times he got juked out so hard he was running with his head turned the wrong way for probably 15 yards (what game was that again?). The thing with Rhodes is he will never think he isn't good, but he plays out of control some times and too emotional. Personally, I don't want to see him back on the team next year.

It’s 100% physical at its core. Perhaps he’s developed confidence issues but it stems from physical. He was routinely in good position and still showing his excellent instincts to make a play but was too slow to get there. 
For about two years now I’ve noticed he has considerably slowed in his transition, struggling mightily to flip his hips with any sort of speed and fluidity. When he was at his best he was quicker and it made the difference between shutting guys down and his current play.

I’m trying to remember when it started, but it seems like it was 2018. He had a groin injury and a hernia. Somewhere in there he appeared to me to have lost that fluidity all corners need at the NFL level. Without finding a way to heal or fix this issue, I think his career may be over.

Quote: @pumpf said:
We might be forced to keep Ant-man.  If we could get a reasonable, back-loaded deal... maybe?
Obviously our CBs (this year) aren't going to be taking up much of our salary cap... so maybe we can afford to keep Ant (at least for 1 year)?
Plus, having good safety play can cover for the CB play being a work in progress.

Quote: @Havoc1649 said:
It’s 100% physical at its core. Perhaps he’s developed confidence issues but it stems from physical. He was routinely in good position and still showing his excellent instincts to make a play but was too slow to get there. 
For about two years now I’ve noticed he has considerably slowed in his transition, struggling mightily to flip his hips with any sort of speed and fluidity. When he was at his best he was quicker and it made the difference between shutting guys down and his current play.

I’m trying to remember when it started, but it seems like it was 2018. He had a groin injury and a hernia. Somewhere in there he appeared to me to have lost that fluidity all corners need at the NFL level. Without finding a way to heal or fix this issue, I think his career may be over.
the tight hips wont be as big of an issue if Zim goes more zone though.  I had noticed the lack of fluidity in his transition as well and attributed it to the injuries in 18 and last year it looked like he really bulked up and that without a lot of stretching and other work will tighten those hips up as well.  I think he was not in good football shape last year for a DB that needs to rely on quick lower body reaction.

@jargomcfargo said:
@StickyBun said:
His decline started in 2018 and Zimmer gambled on his return to form last year. It didn't pay off.
If the financial hit isn't horrible they should try to trade him, then cut him if they get no takers. Maybe Rick could get one of those precious 7th round picks for him, or a ham sandwich!
Rhodes was cut already, brother.
Sorry I missed that. I don't think he will be back.

I see his future as XFL 2021.

Rhodes struggled in Zone going all the way back to his FSU days. And he struggled in it last year. A Tier 3 FA, which they can still afford, who's coming out of a Zone system would make more sense.  Or a Slot CB since there technically isn't one on the Roster currently. 

How much are we a zone system because of Zimmer's current preference, and how much because of personnel limitations?