Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doesn't Sound Like Cousins Is Interested In A Hometown Discount
Good Bye, don't let the door hit you on the way out

Why would his agent agree to any deal right now?  Both sides need to wait to see if there is a new CBA.

The cap could increase a few million like it did the last time they had a new CBA.

It also affects the contract structure because without a new CBA they have to abide by the 30% rule in the extension structure.

They could be waiting to see what happens with other QBs out there and if the market is going to go up some.

I think a deal around 33 mil per year is about right and is a slight discount but good enough.

Still a lot to be determined and there is no urgency on Cousins side nor should there be.

If you want to keep it real then he and his agent could say to the Vikings that he had two different offensive coordinators and two different systems in his first two years.  He now has another offensive coordinator but are keeping the same system (supposedly - makes you wonder whose system Stefanski was calling).

It really has been a shiite show and his offensive line has been sub-par too.

I don't know.  I would be hesitant to sign up for more of that too.

People want to point the finger at Cousins being greedy but I would point it back at the stability of the offensive system.

When he signed here he probably thought he was going to be in the same system with the same coordinator for all 3 years.

Having said all that, I am not too fond of extending him because he rarely makes plays off script.

I think they need to trade up and get one this year.

So now we are potentially mad at him because he won't take a discount? Seems odd. He knows his value, can't blame him one iota. I mean, he's really setting his family up for generational wealth. 

Cousins, who has one season left on his contract, is planning to see how the star-studded quarterback market plays out in the offseason before signing a new deal, per Cronin.
This is terribly egregious behavior on his part and his agents...He must hate it here and is a bad person to boot. 

Wait...the only thing this article says is that Cousins wanted to wait until the other QBs signed before talking about an extension, which is probably smart. And that Spielman is excited about Cousins' future in this offense. 

So the only real take away from this article, in my mind anyway, is that it sounds like the Vikings intend to extend Cousins.

So we are okay with mediocrity at the position?  In two years we have beaten 3 teams with winning records.  Our last QB, Case, beat 6 in one season.  It's not about a QB who looks like the prototype QB when he is standing in the pocket, it's about a QB who actually can run out of the pocket and do what it takes to win a football game.  This team needs to take a page from KC when they were in a similar position with Alex Smith and made an aggressive more to get their QB of the future.  

I will add to what I said above.

Having the GM and head coach not under contract beyond 2020 does not make it easy to sign up for more.
He now has his 3rd system and 3rd OC in three years.
What will the system be in 2021?
What if they have a whole new system?

The lack of continuity with the offensive system does not make any QB's job easier.
It does not appear that Zimmer is going to let the offense do whatever it wants.

Cousins sure looked good in the hurry up but did not get to use it too often.

I wonder how much Zimmer's influence over the offense may affect Cousin's decision?

The fact is that the Vikings offensive system is very unstable from year to year.

Quote: @JR44 said:
So we are okay with mediocrity at the position?  In two years we have beaten 3 teams with winning records.  Our last QB, Case, beat 6 in one season.  It's not about a QB who looks like the prototype QB when he is standing in the pocket, it's about a QB who actually can run out of the pocket and do what it takes to win a football game.  This team needs to take a page from KC when they were in a similar position with Alex Smith and made an aggressive more to get their QB of the future.  
Yes, it was all about the greatness of Case. Who will be on his his 3rd team in 3 years...

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@JR44 said:
Yes, it was all about the greatness of Case. Who will be on his his 3rd team in 3 years...

Lol!  So I state that Case had twice as many wins against teams with winning records in 1 year than Cousins has had in two and somehow you think that is a legit argument??  You think Cousins would not have been on to his 3rd team in 3 years if his contract was not guaranteed?  You can't blame it on the OL, cause it was actually worse when Case played and Case actually didn't have Cook, so I can see why you have to reach for something with no basis to it.  

If Cousins wants to continue to be a mercenary, table any contract extension talks now.

Explore a trade with San Francisco since Shanahan wants Cousins.  Otherwise, we'll need to look at adding a high end backup QB with starter potential (Marcus Mariota) and then look at a QB of the future early in the draft.

Cousins isn't worth a record setting contract.  If he wants to wait to see what Mahomes and Prescott get and try to slot in at or above them...  it's time to move on.  He's good, but not great.  If this team can't retain their own top talent because their QB wants to bend them over the table, bye bye.

This is the year to do it... There are plenty of viable starting QBs in FA if you need one for a season or two while you develop a rookie.