Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Coronavirus
People are losing their shit. Costco can't keep toilet paper, water and Clorox wipes in stock. They are gone each time they are restocked in hours. 

I was hoping to do a bunch of dusty work this weekend and even here in the heartland I cant find any damn dust masks.  Its nuts how crazy shit is getting,  but it sounds like things are calming down in china,  is that because they lost their shit and got control over the spread of the virus or is it just the non starter that we seem to be hoping it is?

What I don't understand is the response of the business leaders.  Seriously.
Daily corporate emails. Travel restrictions and visitor restrictions. One was a questionnaire for visitor's. Really? Ask where they've been and if their families have been to certain places....ect. Guess what. Most these guests are sales person's. Guess what. Sales people sometimes...ummm... stretch the truth. No offense to folks in sales. I love yah. Without sales there would be no manufacturing. Why on earth are these companies acting crazy? It's like in an effort to ensure they don't lose manpower to illness they drive down production to where they don't need manpower. Do it with restrictions and general panic, well more puzzlement really, that they are creating. Shutting down manufacturing worldwide is going to have a terrible trickle down effect for the entire year. 2020 is gonna suck...imo.

Just got back from DC, the scariest part is walking past all the gates with CNN on.  My son who is involved with NIH had one comment, that the reported numbers statistically don't reflect any of the models.  Their theory is we don't have enough data, tests, to project the actual population affected.    

My girlfriend works at a cancer center. Yesterday was her turn to pre-screen everyone entering the building. I think it gets worse before it gets better. But, it's almost April.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
My girlfriend works at a cancer center. Yesterday was her turn to pre-screen everyone entering the building. I think it gets worse before it gets better. But, it's almost April.
I think things are already worse than we know and there is a really an information lag going on.  My company was already taking action over a month ago, just based on supply chain data.  The models used in epidemiology use different data sets and are much more precise, why the lag.

Its' bad and going to get worse...

How much worse depends on how much we ourselves, business, colleges etc. change behavior the next 3 weeks. 

Fox News is under reporting on this. 

As I like to say, let's just remove all the warning labels and let things sort themselves out.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
People are losing their shit. Costco can't keep toilet paper, water and Clorox wipes in stock. They are gone each time they are restocked in hours. 
Hope things start blooming soon, need those Lambs ear, soft and luxurious, or the durable Mallow, if things hit the fan Wink  

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
I was hoping to do a bunch of dusty work this weekend and even here in the heartland I cant find any damn dust masks.  Its nuts how crazy shit is getting,  but it sounds like things are calming down in china,  is that because they lost their shit and got control over the spread of the virus or is it just the non starter that we seem to be hoping it is?
Command economy, build a hospital, forget the short term profit.