Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FWIW, We Met With Wirfs
Quote: @"Canthony" said:
@"FSUVike" said:
It's important for them to do their homework on the Tier 2 guys. I'm seeing more and more mocks with all 5 Tackles gone by 25. CB or 3T is the most likely scenario unless Rick trades back. Gotta be ready in the 2nd or 3rd to add to the O-Line. 

Would really be nice if Jones fell, though. I saw 2 mocks just yesterday that had Minnesota taking Jackson from USC in the 1st, which is a reach for need, IMO. That's the last thing I want the team to do. 
Is it a reach if Jackson can play the position? If he can play.. what's it really matter what round he goes in. I would draft Oneill much higher and many thought he was a reach at the time. 

I'm just saying, if the guy can play... Let er buck lol
If he's projected as a 2nd Round prospect and you take him in the 1st you are basically the Raiders. It's all about how you stack your Board. If the 6th best Tackle is rated 16 spots lower on your Board than the 4th best CB you take the CB. Period. Jackson has a lower floor than say Diggs. If you miss out on him in the 2nd you get a Guard. If you're 2nd or 3rd ranked Guard is ranked 12 spots lower than the 4th ranked 3T you take the 3T.

Look, we all want the Line to get fixed. But you can't force it by reaching while ignoring a player with a measurably higher chance of succeeding at another position of need. At the very worst Minnesota can add a Tier 2 or Tier 3 Guard to replace Elf exactly like Kline, whom not 1 single person here even had on their radar, replaced and was a massive upgrade from Remmers. Reiff keeps getting help from Rudy and Morgan hopefully coming back. And Samia and Udoh are still developing. 

It's not ideal. Ideal would be Becton falling. Or Jones still being there. Or Muti or another high ceiling Guard being available in the 2nd. Or a lower floor guy like Cushenberry being there in the 3rd. And there's at least 10 other names that could be in play depending on how Rick, Rick, Gary and the Scouts have players ranked that could still be there in either the 2nd or 3rd. Trades are a major factor also.

But it's not the end of the world if they don't get a guy until later because of how the Draft ends up playing out as FA can still address the biggest hole on the entire team, which is Pat Elflien. 

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
It's important for them to do their homework on the Tier 2 guys. I'm seeing more and more mocks with all 5 Tackles gone by 25. CB or 3T is the most likely scenario unless Rick trades back. Gotta be ready in the 2nd or 3rd to add to the O-Line. 

Would really be nice if Jones fell, though. I saw 2 mocks just yesterday that had Minnesota taking Jackson from USC in the 1st, which is a reach for need, IMO. That's the last thing I want the team to do. 
I'm all for trading back if the top 5 OTs are gone. My dream scenario involves Love falling and Indy calling. Hold them up for the 34 and 44 and grab Cushenberry, Davidson, and whichever CB, say Terrell, at 57. LG, solved,  rotational piece at 3T, and potential CB talent to mold.

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
@"Canthony" said:
@"FSUVike" said:

Is it a reach if Jackson can play the position? If he can play.. what's it really matter what round he goes in. I would draft Oneill much higher and many thought he was a reach at the time. 

If he's projected as a 2nd Round prospect and you take him in the 1st you are basically the Raiders. It's all about how you stack your Board. If the 6th best Tackle is rated 16 spots lower on your Board than the 4th best CB you take the CB. Period. Jackson has a lower floor than say Diggs. If you miss out on him in the 2nd you get a Guard. If you're 2nd or 3rd ranked Guard is ranked 12 spots lower than the 4th ranked 3T you take the 3T.

Look, we all want the Line to get fixed. But you can't force it by reaching while ignoring a player with a measurably higher chance of succeeding at another position of need. At the very worst Minnesota can add a Tier 2 or Tier 3 Guard to replace Elf exactly like Kline, whom not 1 single person here even had on their radar, replaced and was a massive upgrade from Remmers. Reiff keeps getting help from Rudy and Morgan hopefully coming back. And Samia and Udoh are still developing. 

It's not ideal. Ideal would be Becton falling. Or Jones still being there. Or Muti or another high ceiling Guard being available in the 2nd. Or a lower floor guy like Cushenberry being there in the 3rd. And there's at least 10 other names that could be in play depending on how Rick, Rick, Gary and the Scouts have players ranked that could still be there in either the 2nd or 3rd. Trades are a major factor also.

But it's not the end of the world if they don't get a guy until later because of how the Draft ends up playing out as FA can still address the biggest hole on the entire team, which is Pat Elflien. 
For sure that all makes sense. Putting it like that... Reaching would be asinine. I was simply saying that if a player can play then just draft him. I think I am more or less talking about hindsight as in we drafted O'Neill and he could have been a first rounder with how he has played. 

If it is a position of need and you know the player can play, why not just draft him and be done with it. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@"FSUVike" said:

I'm all for trading back if the top 5 OTs are gone. My dream scenario involves Love falling and Indy calling. Hold them up for the 34 and 44 and grab Cushenberry, Davidson, and whichever CB, say Terrell, at 57. LG, solved,  rotational piece at 3T, and potential CB talent to mold.
This.  that is a great dream scenario.  New England stacks talent doing this every year it seems. 

Quote: @"Canthony" said:
@"FSUVike" said:
@"Canthony" said:
@"FSUVike" said:

For sure that all makes sense. Putting it like that... Reaching would be asinine. I was simply saying that if a player can play then just draft him. I think I am more or less talking about hindsight as in we drafted O'Neill and he could have been a first rounder with how he has played. 

If it is a position of need and you know the player can play, why not just draft him and be done with it. 
Because the teams are projecting future performance, Canthony. If the NFL knew Tom Brady could play he would have gone #1 overall.  Hindsight is only useful in trying to analyze what you missed that could have helped you get your projection right or wrong.

Humans are tricky to predict. Why was Stefon Diggs so good in High School but not so good at Maryland? There were red flags that pushed 6to the 5th Round. Jackson has red flags at LT that will most likely push him to the 2nd Round, where the talent and projection starts to outweigh those flags.

Look, even Minnesota didn't know O'Neill would be that good that fast or they would have started him sooner. There are 5 Tackles nearly universally projected to have a high probability of Starting from Day 1. That's worth a 1st. Jackson is not in that group and if he's farther down the overall rankings that the Front Office puts together you don't take him in the 1st..even if he pans out exactly like O'Neill did. Staying true to your board is how you stack one  successful Draft after another. 

Chris Tomasson
@christomasson
· 5h
Auburn OL Prince Tega Wanogho said at the combine today he had a formal interview with the #Vikings.