Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cam Newton
Several years ago I was watching a Panthers game, I believe it was against another NFC south team and before McCaffrey was there. Anyway, the Panthers were down by double digits late in the 4th and Cam was forced to pass to get them back in the game.

It was horrible.  He was under pressure and was doing his best McNabb impression....worm-burners after worm-burners....overthrows and QB scrambles.  It was painful to watch.

I know it's anecdotal but I saw clearly in that game what a running QB under pressure with mediocre passing skills would do.  

Cam to the Vikes?  Nah.  Let him back up Winston.

Quote: @comet52 said:
He doesn't want to play for backup money which is an issue.   Teams can't do an in person physical which is another, to see how he's progressed from the injuries.   And teams don't want celebrity backups, they want backups who are basically invisible in every way unless and until the starter goes down with an injury.   

Cam will probably have to wait for some team that thinks it's contending to lose a starter and feel their backup can't get them there so they will take a chance on him.  Otherwise I think he will have to leave football for a career as a hat salesman or something.

[Image: 003s5qwq7ag7.jpg]
That photo is why I don't want him on the Vikings.  He's a diva.  And not a great QB.

Quote: @Ralphie said:
Several years ago I was watching a Panthers game, I believe it was against another NFC south team and before McCaffrey was there. Anyway, the Panthers were down by double digits late in the 4th and Cam was forced to pass to get them back in the game.

It was horrible.  He was under pressure and was doing his best McNabb impression....worm-burners after worm-burners....overthrows and QB scrambles.  It was painful to watch.

I know it's anecdotal but I saw clearly in that game what a running QB under pressure with mediocre passing skills would do.  

Its very telling what the league thinks of Cam now. The guy still just locks onto WRers. He's a second slow with reads in the pocket. He's not very accurate. 

Quote: @Ralphie said:

That is my take as well.  He is a beast and when his team is leading and has all the options available on offense, he can terrorize teams with his physical style.  But when he has to pass, he hasn't perfected his mechanics, his ability to read a D, the small details that separate the NFL QBs from those who don't make it. 

So yes, a larger, more imposing McNabb.  And like McNabb, the results were the same when they reached the superbowl.  Unlike the stars, what they left on the field wasn't their play, just chunks and business decisions.

I totally get what you all are saying, and this is all hypothetical anyways because the Vikings have proven to not have any interest in a good backup QB.
But how is saying "Cam is better when his team is ahead" a reason not to sign him? If anything, that would make him MORE of a fit in Minnesota since that's exactly how Zimmer wants to play. I guess that strategy may be out the window this year since we have so many new faces on defense, but most year's that would make Cam a fit here. Kirk himself isn't exactly known as being a 4th quarter hero, let alone Mannion.
All just fun discussion. I appreciate hearing everyone's viewpoints, even those of you who think I'm crazy!

well to be fair, I think any QB would likely be better when playing with a lead and having the whole playbook open.  My point was more of how different he was when he wasn't the "bully" running over people, but had to be a pocket QB.  But even with a lead, I don't see him as a good QB.  He likes to hold the ball and play the hero.  Look at one of Hunters best sacks, when he flattened the LT and sacked Cam for a safety.  Cam held that ball waaaay to long and in the endzone no less.  Hunter wasn't even rushing initially until he read it wasn't run, so it wasn't a speedy sack.

Quote: @greediron said:
well to be fair, I think any QB would likely be better when playing with a lead and having the whole playbook open.  My point was more of how different he was when he wasn't the "bully" running over people, but had to be a pocket QB.  But even with a lead, I don't see him as a good QB.  He likes to hold the ball and play the hero.  Look at one of Hunters best sacks, when he flattened the LT and sacked Cam for a safety.  Cam held that ball waaaay to long and in the endzone no less.  Hunter wasn't even rushing initially until he read it wasn't run, so it wasn't a speedy sack.
That sack was HORRIBLE by Newton. As you say, he held onto the ball just a stupid amount of time standing in his own end zone. 

Welp, guess he's good enough for Bill Belichek. But what does that guy know!

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
That should be interesting.
Hella interesting. Popcorn ready.....Smile