Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cam Newton
Is he completely washed?
Or is this gonna be a Sharif Floyd/Aaron Donald situation where a few years from now we're all saying, "well the Vikings had a solid option in house, it just didn't make sense at the time, etc," as we justify to ourselves why the Vikings passed on another elite talent?
I'm torn on this guy. When he's healthy he's amazing. But Ron Rivera might've called one (or 10) too many QB sneaks (per game).
(Also yes the Vikings would have to dump Kirk's contract somehow, which would not be easy).

Just say no to physical talent without the mental ability.
Cam never progressed beyond being a physical freak.  He had lazy mechanics and never learned to beat a team with his arm (and brain). 

Quote: @greediron said:
Just say no to physical talent without the mental ability.
Cam never progressed beyond being a physical freak.  He had lazy mechanics and never learned to beat a team with his arm (and brain). 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NewtCa00.htm

Gotta wonder if his best days are behind him from being hit so many times.

*bump*
Will never in 1000 years happen, but Winston and Dalton just signed for between $1-3M, respectively.
Cam for 1 year/$2M (if he'd take it) is so much better than Mannion $1 year/$1M it's actually ridiculous.
I like Spielman, and I'm on board for another year of Zimmer, but I will NEVER be okay with their handling of the backup QB position. The starting QB should not be coddled, he should pushed to be great. The successful teams around the league are realizing this. The Vikings unfortunately are not (yet).
Hopefully Kirk stays healthy and you don't need him. But trading a pick for a QB in-season in the event Kirk gets hurt is a lot pricier than signing one of these guys today. Dalton and Winston both would've been upgrades over Mannion as well. I don't get it.

no trivia question about the Vikings QB  should ever have the answer "Cam Newton"

Quote: @pattersaur said:
*bump*
Will never in 1000 years happen, but Winston and Dalton just signed for between $1-3M, respectively.
Cam for 1 year/$2M (if he'd take it) is so much better than Mannion $1 year/$1M it's actually ridiculous.
I like Spielman, and I'm on board for another year of Zimmer, but I will NEVER be okay with their handling of the backup QB position. The starting QB should not be coddled, he should pushed to be great. The successful teams around the league are realizing this. The Vikings unfortunately are not (yet).
Hopefully Kirk stays healthy and you don't need him. But trading a pick for a QB in-season in the event Kirk gets hurt is a lot pricier than signing one of these guys today. Dalton and Winston both would've been upgrades over Mannion as well. I don't get it.
Except the offense would have to completely change.  The backup should be able to run the offense (less effectively of course) without major changes.

He's dealt with a lot of injuries over the past couple years and I think it's hard for teams to justify signing him without a thorough medical review. It was also a deep QB class in the draft and FA, so there were a lot of cheaper and lower risk options, so he just ended up being the odd man out. I think once a QB gets hurt, he'll be the first person teams call, but I would have expected him to sign before Winston did. Though it may be that he was holding out for a starting job & Winston was in a position where it made sense for him to be a backup for a year and then reenter FA next season. I think that Newton will be the first QB teams call when someone goes down and while his shoulder is a major concern, someone will give him a chance.

I guess I can't believe his name hasnt been linked to the Giants for a Dan Jones mentor. Sign Cam cheap, great backup with experience and definitely more reliable than Colt McCoy

Quote: @greediron said:
@pattersaur said:
*bump*
Except the offense would have to completely change.  The backup should be able to run the offense (less effectively of course) without major changes.

Probably, but I'd still take a simplified, schoolyard offense with Cam over whatever Mannion will give us. And the Vikings offense changes every offseason anyways

He doesn't want to play for backup money which is an issue.   Teams can't do an in person physical which is another, to see how he's progressed from the injuries.   And teams don't want celebrity backups, they want backups who are basically invisible in every way unless and until the starter goes down with an injury.   

Cam will probably have to wait for some team that thinks it's contending to lose a starter and feel their backup can't get them there so they will take a chance on him.  Otherwise I think he will have to leave football for a career as a hat salesman or something.

[Image: 003s5qwq7ag7.jpg]